Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for ex Navy/Merchant Marine R/Os  (Read 2515 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2013, 02:50:49 AM »

Were the 3 letter international signal flag codes for medical problems (all starting with the letter M) used in Morse when handling shipboard emergency medical traffic?
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 07:42:33 AM »

Those codes were not used in neither the German military nor the merchant navies.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 11:09:37 PM »

Here's a link to Chapter 3 of the International Code of Signals.  As BJM said, these are not radio signals.  A (typical) Radioman wouldn't know what they mean.  Quartermasters would likely use the ICoS regularly these days; more so in earlier years.

http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/StaticFiles/NAV_PUBS/ICOS/Chapter3.pdf

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »

I never heard of it being used. When I was on a ship with a doctor/surgeon such assistance was always exchanged in plain language CW. The message prefix was MEDICO. The doctor's advice "proceed to the nearest port for medical assistance" was not appreciated by ship's masters who would never delay their vessel. 
Andrew
GW3OQK
ex MN R/O
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 03:36:32 AM »

Thanks for all responses.I ask this question because back in the day we occasionally used theses M signals via flag hoist and blinker light and as I am doing a little research in preparation for a small presentation of past/present shipboard safety and communications wanted to find out if these M signals ever made the transition to CW comms that were prevalent at the time.No better place to ask than the source,thanks again.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »

Nope, never heard of them being used.  Used to handle "Pan Medico" traffic at Portishead from deep sea ships, not a great feeling when you know they are many days away from port.

Used to ring Plymouth Hospital for the medico advise.

If you got one, you were expected to stick with it and see it through to the end.

Long time ago now.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: