Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton SDR News?  (Read 12597 times)
NI0Z

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:29:45 AM »

Any SDR news coming out of Dayton this year?

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »

Last year Alinco was displaying their future SDR transceiver at Hamvention, but there wasn't many details on it other than it's projected price which was expected to be in the range of $800 US.  I'll be curious to see if that project has progressed at all.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:38:37 PM by K3GM » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:19:25 AM »

Yup, there should be some news here, thats why I created a placeholder for it so as people hear about it they can share.  There should actually be news from a few companies.

Expect a launch Date from Flex.
Expect news from Apache-labs.
Expect at least one new SDR from someone.
I expect a KX3 Amp announcement from Elecraft.

Let's see what we get!

NI0Z

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 06:51:13 AM »

Apache Labs appears to be a no show!  Too bad as I have a pocket full US $$$ too!
K4AX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:08:59 AM »

They are going to be running web specials regardless..
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 07:31:31 AM »

Apache Labs appears to be a no show!  Too bad as I have a pocket full US $$$ too!
They did not get their visas and have to wait 2 more weeks to get them  Cry

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »

SSB Electronics has released their Zeus ZX-1 SDR.  4 MHz. wide spectrum display, USB to PC connection. $1600.00 .  The German rep told me the software was written in Russia.  Very clean little box. Available for immediate shipment.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 06:18:26 PM »

Here's cut sheet for the Zeus
http://m9.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/TwoSevenRight/IMG_20130517_210014_921_zpse7737c97.jpg.html?newest=1
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »

Alinco reports their DX-SR9T will beready the ship in a couple of months.  This looks drastically different than what they were showing last year, and it appears to have become a hybrid oof sorts. Here's it's cut sheet
http://m9.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/TwoSevenRight/IMG_20130517_210058_663_zpsb8adcdc9.jpg.html?o=1&newest=1
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »

Alinco reports their DX-SR9T will beready the ship in a couple of months.  This looks drastically different than what they were showing last year, and it appears to have become a hybrid oof sorts. Here's it's cut sheet
http://m9.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/TwoSevenRight/IMG_20130517_210058_663_zpsb8adcdc9.jpg.html?o=1&newest=1
Alinco seems to do alright with VHF/UHF handhelds and mobile rigs, at least the ones I've owned in the past. But judging by some of their previous entries into the HF market, I don't know if I can get excited about them doing an SDR.
Michael, W4HIJ
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »

How much is the Alinco?
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »

There are tons of pics of the DX-SR9T on the web since last year. It looks like the 8. The difference is they may have included the "SDR" function", which is just an I/Q output like on the DX-R8T/receiver. It allows up to 48kHz sampling. The free KG-SDR software is clunky. Still, at $800, you get a $800 amateur HF transceiver with an I/Q output.
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »

IQ outputs with fairly wide bandwidth, perhaps as digital outputs, might become more common. It's a pretty useful transitional step from analog knob radio to full on SDR, and would be nice for "sound card modes" and such.

I wonder, though about IQ audio inputs to the Tx chain: it would be useful.. If they're wide band, then you have problems with the FCC (how do you prevent out of band emission or bad image cancellation).

I could see a hybrid being very practical.. Basically a conventional SSB transmitter (e.g. audio input with 6-10 kHz BW) combined with a receiver with a wide output.  You could still do a cool waterfall display and click to tune (sending the Tx freq command to the radio).

And probably more useful today than a First IF output feeding an analog pan display.
Sure you couldn't do some of the fancier transmit stuff (predistortion, polar amplifiers, etc.) but the vast majority of hams interested in SDR wouldn't care.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 05:44:49 AM »

A shame  some company cant produce a radio like the ADAT transceiver  for the mass amateur radio market. Unfortunately there does not appear to be  a ham radio company with the engineering expertise of ADAT that produce such a radio. I dont really know why the ADAT company has kept such a low marketing profile especially in such an important market like the USA. Its really too understand why  are not very active marketing their product. Once you use  an ADAT radio you soon appreciate the virtues of putting a SDR radio into a stand alone box. If a company like Icom produced a radio  like the ADAT transceiver it would be a runaway success.

The ham radio transceiver manufacturers are very bad at doing  basic market research, they are not very proactive at exploiting the hot button issues in the ham radio market for new products. All we seem to get is  same old crap.
Every year the  release  of more radio models with useless features that nobody needs, the  performance deficit is glaringly obvious.

There is so much more  that could be offered  if they tried. The feeling that I get  is that the ham radio business is at the end of its product life cycle. Its about too die and blow away  because of technology obsolescence. The new
affordable SDR market is making life difficult for manufacturers. However if they grabbed the bull by the horns and start delivering advanced technology features hams will buy these new products rather than the stale bread  that they offer year after year.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »

A shame  some company cant produce a radio like the ADAT transceiver  for the mass amateur radio market. Unfortunately there does not appear to be  a ham radio company with the engineering expertise of ADAT that produce such a radio. I dont really know why the ADAT company has kept such a low marketing profile especially in such an important market like the USA. Its really too understand why  are not very active marketing their product. Once you use  an ADAT radio you soon appreciate the virtues of putting a SDR radio into a stand alone box. If a company like Icom produced a radio  like the ADAT transceiver it would be a runaway success.

The ham radio transceiver manufacturers are very bad at doing  basic market research, they are not very proactive at exploiting the hot button issues in the ham radio market for new products. All we seem to get is  same old crap.
Every year the  release  of more radio models with useless features that nobody needs, the  performance deficit is glaringly obvious.

There is so much more  that could be offered  if they tried. The feeling that I get  is that the ham radio business is at the end of its product life cycle. Its about too die and blow away  because of technology obsolescence. The new
affordable SDR market is making life difficult for manufacturers. However if they grabbed the bull by the horns and start delivering advanced technology features hams will buy these new products rather than the stale bread  that they offer year after year.

ADAT appears to have died on the vine. I wonder why? Price? Looks? Output? All of the afore? The definition of "boutique"? Still, a rather nice piece of gear on paper.

What if.... Imagine an "appliance" type SDR with the intensive processing done on-board and network interface, with an available optional standalone hardware "faceplate" with touchscreen, knobs and buttons, that would connect via ethernet cable, POE powered from the appliance for local operation.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: