Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: electric winch for LG-70HD  (Read 1494 times)
K7HC

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:13:09 PM »

I am putting up an older, but very good condition, LG-70HD tower with a hand winch.  I want to install an electric winch as I put it up and am looking for suggestions for a good worm drive unit.  Any suggestions?  clay@k7hc.com
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:33:33 PM »

I converted a hand crank tower to a Dutton-Lainson worm gear (40-1) winch which is hand crankable but use a heavy duty 1/2" chuck Craftsman electric drill for the power. Had a machinist friend make an adapter to fit in the chuck and over the shaft on the winch.  Have been very pleased with the set up. Warn also makes some good value winches. Your thoughts to use a worm gear winch are very wise. Definitely adds an extra measure of safety.

Russ
WB6MMV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:06:27 AM »

Hi Clay:

I used a Fulton KW3000 worm gear winch on my tower and also made a hexnut adaptor to allow the use of a power drill to raise and lower the antenna.  The worm gear ratio is around 45:1.

Ken WB6MMV
K7HC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »

Great!  Just what I was looking for.  I have ordered a Fulton KW3000, so now all I have to figure out is the hex nut adaptor. Info on that?
Clay-K7HC
WB6MMV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:03:07 PM »

Hi Clay:

There is an attachment that comes with the winch when you order it.  It is designed to allow a hand crank of the winch.  I have access to a metal shop in the retirement community where I live.  I just took a hex nut adapter (Home Depot) and did a minor milling job on the attachment and then welded the hex nut to the adapter.  I use a heavy duty drill with the appropriate socket to mate with the hex nut adapter and drive the tower up and down. 

The KW3000 backing plate required that I drill two holes to fit the tower, but that wasn't hard.  The winch is rated at 3000 lbs which is way more than the entire tower so one is being conservative.

Ken WB6MMV
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:07:57 AM »

Just a suggestion from another viewpoint.  The local Harbor Freight Tool store has winches that are meant for mounting on trucks and SUVs.  I believe that they start at a capacity of 2000 pounds for about $60, run on 12 VDC, and would likely work fine since they're not going to be used continuously.

As I said, just food for thought.
WB6MMV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »

Clay:

CJS has a good point.  We have a number of hams here in my area that purchased the Harbor Freight Hoist (hoist is the key word) to use as a powered way to crank up the tower.  I investigated them and the hoists are adequate and generally safe to use and will do the job.  They are a cheap way to eliminate hand cranking.  However my paranoia about using the Harbor Freight winch was that it can fail (rare) and in a way that will cause me to not sleep at night.  I chose the way that I went because of that paranoia. 

This would be a good, low cost way to address the issue as long as you buy the hoist (there is that word again) and not the other electric winches.  The hoist word is used in the industry to handle things like our towers and lifting heavy stuff.  Don't be tempted to look at other winches that are designed for the 4WD industry as they have clutches and two speeds for different applications.  They aren't designed to allow one to crank the winch and then stop and have it hold for an indefinite period.  That is what hoists are for.

Ken
K7HC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »

Ken,
I'm totaly with you on that point.  I really am not looking vor the "cheapest" answer, but the best and most cost effective solution.  As I said, I have ordered the hoist and am anxious to get it.  The tower is still not ready to stand up.  Will have to look over any adapter that comes with it and get a hex nut tool to use with my 1/2" drill.  Thanx for your input.
73-Clay
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 03:55:18 AM »

In the way of discussion, I don't see what the difference would be--unless the tower was a nested crank up 'extension' type tower.  As I read the specs of the LG-70HD, it is not one of those types.  Could well be my error, but it seems that using a winch to raise the tower then securing the tower with other hardware will not leave the strain on the cable and winch itself.  Even if a winch were used to raise an nested extension tower, only the foolhardy would leave the strain of supporting the tower on the winch drive for any extended length of time.  On the cable, yes--that's unavoidable, but not directly on the worm gear drive.  Seems to me that some way should exist to secure the cable drum so that can't happen.  If it were my installation, I'd darn well find a way to do just that!

As I said, I'm not trying to argue--I'm asking about it.  I'm kind of in a learning curve here myself.  73!   Smiley
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »

Wouldn't a worm gear winch/ hoist offer better gear reduction and the ability to "stay" wherever it is stopped?

Mike
K7HC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 03:13:05 PM »

Yes, Mike,   The Fulton KW3000 has a ratio of 51:1 and rating of 3000 lbs.  That is more than most crank up towers provide with their furnished winches/hoists.  I think it's universal that these towers are held with their cables and winches.
Clay-K7HC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: