Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Much Flex-6000 News  (Read 15460 times)
K9ZW

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:43:53 PM »

Unboxing photos of first production units, first use reports.

Letters from FlexRadio Systems to new owners as their units ready to ship.

Dayton plans for units to try at the show.

Informational updates by FlexRadio Systems.

Impressive initial technical reports.

Let Google be your Friend on "Flex-6700"

Steve
K9ZW

Blog (and no I don't have mine yet): http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 06:34:50 AM »

One person who just happens to be an Alpha tester and the guy who got Flex to setup at Veselia? He is the ONLY person anywhere reporting having received a 6000 Series radio. Not exactly exciting news for all the rest of the early buy-in's.
What did Gerald say? "ho hum we're shipping". One radio....REALLY? Thats exciting news? Post more in six weeks AFTER Dayton when more exciting news develops.
james
WD5GWY
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:41:34 AM »

Unboxing photos of first production units, first use reports.

Letters from FlexRadio Systems to new owners as their units ready to ship.

Dayton plans for units to try at the show.

Informational updates by FlexRadio Systems.

Impressive initial technical reports.

Let Google be your Friend on "Flex-6700"

Steve
K9ZW

Blog (and no I don't have mine yet): http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

I have never seen such blatant over-the-top advertizing for a Ham radio manufacturer as you are doing on this forum.  What is wrong with you?
AB7R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 07:05:56 AM »

I sure don't see this as advertising.  It is info about an SDR on the SDR Forum.  No one is forcing you to read it.

Greg
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:30:05 AM »

Eventually it will ship, there will be good, bad. We will get a lot of hype as people try to justify their purchase and the initial sparkle dazzles.  Some time will pass, the shine will fade and then and only then will we begin to get the real scoop on these rigs.  The faithful will espouse the great Flex miracle and the disenchanted will scream blasphemy. 

Seriously, I am guessing that the 6500 will be all most Hams would need or want other than bragging rights for the higher model or someone with the wherewithal to have a real diversity antenna setup.

We will hear about a lower noise floor and how cool the multiple recievers are probably most.  I expect lots of shortfalls in the software at first and lots of bugs.

I pretty much expect the same with my Anan 100D.  Overkill on the second ADC, lower noise, bugs & issues.

SDR's are still by in large more expirimental than they are for contesting.  Yes, some people will use them in constest, no doubt.

All in all, pretty much the same old NEW RIG saga, just a higher price tag!  Smiley

Time will tell if my predictions come true!

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »

Eventually it will ship, there will be good, bad. We will get a lot of hype as people try to justify their purchase and the initial sparkle dazzles.  Some time will pass, the shine will fade and then and only then will we begin to get the real scoop on these rigs.  The faithful will espouse the great Flex miracle and the disenchanted will scream blasphemy.  

Seriously, I am guessing that the 6500 will be all most Hams would need or want other than bragging rights for the higher model or someone with the wherewithal to have a real diversity antenna setup.

We will hear about a lower noise floor and how cool the multiple recievers are probably most.  I expect lots of shortfalls in the software at first and lots of bugs.

I pretty much expect the same with my Anan 100D.  Overkill on the second ADC, lower noise, bugs & issues.

SDR's are still by in large more expirimental than they are for contesting.  Yes, some people will use them in constest, no doubt.

All in all, pretty much the same old NEW RIG saga, just a higher price tag!  Smiley

Time will tell if my predictions come true!

I think you are pretty much on the money with your predictions.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:44:55 AM »

I sure don't see this as advertising.  It is info about an SDR on the SDR Forum.  No one is forcing you to read it.

Greg

It is devoid of any useful info except "Let Google be your Friend on "Flex-6700"".  It reads like a marketing blurb.

Also, no one is forcing you to read or comment on my posts either, yet you have.  Feel free to put me on ignore if it bothers you.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:26:53 AM »

I really wasn't trying to be negative about the upcoming release of the 6000 Series Radios.
And I did do a Google Search for: " Flex 6700" and there were some 20+ pages of hits.
Of those, the only specific hits that I found were from Steve's Blog, which contained a link
to the un-boxing by one person. Who, as I mentioned earlier, was an Alpha Tester and the
person who got Flex Radio to come to the Vaselia DX event.
But, I never found another post from anyone else, who claims to have received their production
Flex 6500 or 6700. Not a single one. Not in Flex Radio's Yahoo forums either. Steve is the first
person to post an update from Flex Radio that says anything about shipping. Other than six
weeks AFTER Dayton. Now, who will be getting a radio six weeks after Dayton is anyone's guess.
It could be the expanded beta group or actual early buyers.
I'm 99% certain that had anyone else besides the guy mentioned, received their new radio,
they would have posted it on the Yahoo Forums or Flex's Facebook page. (not there either)
  I don't think that Steve is advertising for Flex, I think he is just getting excited about the
possibility of getting his new radio. And I don't blame him for that one bit.
I just think it is still a bit premature to start celebrating the arrival of the radios as there has
only been ONE radio confirmed shipped. The rest are MIA.
james
WD5GWY

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »

Honestly, I think the whole he has a blog thing, he's advertising who ha is all blown out of proportion.  

Lol, poor Steve pays a hefty price for his enthusiasm on Flex radios.  Its tuff business being a Flex fan or user on eHam.  Oddly while some would disagree, that really is Flex's fault and not any particular users fault here.  You reap what you sew and so if all were well in Flexville then nobody would have a beef.  

Steve, I own and use a Flex as my main Rig.  It does ok, it has challenges, not all likely due to Flex.. it does ok and gets me by.  I finally feel like its mostly finished as far as the Software Defined part goes.

Steve, my only feedback to you is you might try to see the grass on both sides of the creek.  Objectivity might make your blog more interesting to readers here.  I too have a website and the number one feedback I get from people who e-mail me now a days is that my views are interesting and seem real.  

I too have been chastised here for having a blog and having a link to it at the bottom of my messages.  I have been verbally abused for saying good things about my Flex and honestly not very abused for talking about the bad things.

On a Flex reflector I would be most like banned.  Just how it goes.  We all pay a price for how we think and feel and so while I am telling you objectivity would help, you can certainly remain a flex evangelist.  Again, there will be good and bad with the new radios.  Even radios with 5 stars here at eHam have some bad to them.

Above all, don’t worry about what people think, just do your thing, enjoy your radio when it comes and keep company with like-minded people and you'll feel a lot better.  If you’re open to the good and the bad, hang out, take off the rose colored glasses and join in on objective conversation.  Its not about my radio verses your radio.  If I had money I’d have lots of radios.  Its about what’s real and what’s not, sorting through the hype and understand what’s good and what’s not.  Its also important that hams band together to keep vendors honest.  If we lie to each other nobody wins!  

Said another way, I have taken lots of feedback here and put it to use, maybe you can find a way to make all the feedback you get work for you!

Just my humble two cents!  

Take it easy and my sincere best wishes for a speedy delivery on your new Flex.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:35:05 PM by NI0Z » Logged

WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »

I sure don't see this as advertising.  It is info about an SDR on the SDR Forum.  No one is forcing you to read it.

Greg

It is devoid of any useful info except "Let Google be your Friend on "Flex-6700"".  It reads like a marketing blurb.

Also, no one is forcing you to read or comment on my posts either, yet you have.  Feel free to put me on ignore if it bothers you.

SWL2002:

Put you on ignore... That is, without doubt, the best advice I have seen from you on these forums! PLONK! There you go.

wb0ksl
John
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 01:33:10 PM »

Gents,

eHam's moderators asked me to very sharply limit posting links.

I do try to capture some of those links in my own writings.  Sorry for the two-step.

Am I pumped to get a new radio?  Absolutely!  I rather enjoy the fun of that aspect of this hobby.

Did you read about The Mojo FPGA board I've started with?  One ham radio experiment leads to another ....  there is so much to learn!

Sorry if I disappoint some of us by not doing the "Eeyore" pesimistic doom and gloom slow walk though this hobby.  Just don't see it that way.

I sure understand those who do - some enjoy "leading edge," even at the risk of "bleeding edge."  Others enjoy their stalworth S-Line station from 1962.

Then some of us enjoy them both!  Oh, and enjoy the PowerSDR based Flex-5000 too.

A few very clever sort design and build these leading edge things.  Their lives must really have an impassionment for the hobby! 

All best and join me in enjoying the various bits of news as it rolls out, it is interesting and if you have your name in the order queu it is rather exciting too!

Let's have some Amateur Radio fun!

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »

if you have your name in the order queu it is rather exciting too!

They say that a fool and his money are soon parted, but Flex did even better, they made the fools part with their money retroactively!
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 05:48:09 PM »

They say that a fool and his money are soon parted, but Flex did even better, they made the fools part with their money retroactively!
That's a wee bit harsh isn't it? No one forced anyone to part with their money. The terms of
pre-ordering a 6000 Series radio were made up front and center. IF someone accepted those
terms, then that is on them. AND, as has already happened, people are free to ask for, and
receive a refund of any money they have paid in. Some have only paid a deposit and are waiting
for notice of shipment to make final payment. Others, paid in full. But, the fact that they can get
their money back, no questions asked, is ok in my book.
 I am looking forward to the time they are available just as the other Flex radios are. But, if I get the itch for a new SDR radio (besides my Flex 1500) , I might just spring for an Anan 100D.
I like the concept of open source and the availability of quicker fixes for bugs etc.
james
WD5GWY

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »

That's a wee bit harsh isn't it? No one forced anyone to part with their money. The terms of
pre-ordering a 6000 Series radio were made up front and center. IF someone accepted those
terms, then that is on them. AND, as has already happened, people are free to ask for, and
receive a refund of any money they have paid in. Some have only paid a deposit and are waiting
for notice of shipment to make final payment. Others, paid in full. But, the fact that they can get
their money back, no questions asked, is ok in my book.
 I am looking forward to the time they are available just as the other Flex radios are. But, if I get the itch for a new SDR radio (besides my Flex 1500) , I might just spring for an Anan 100D.
I like the concept of open source and the availability of quicker fixes for bugs etc.
james
WD5GWY

Easy there James. Don't bring rational thought and reason into a conversation with a Flex basher. You'll fry out the brain cells in their narrow little minds! Cheesy
Michael, W4HIJ
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 04:52:40 AM »

Very interesting Dayton 2013 FlexRadio Systems Dinner Presentation.

Not unexpected news, but unexpected timing, that the Flex-5000A is out of the product line (and no mine is not for sale).

Lots of neat things - FlexRadio Systems sending a tablet running a weeks old remote control application around the 180+ person crowd so everyone could have a try, great presentations, and a chance to play with the demonstration units.

I've written more from the first hand "I was there" and "I tried the demo software" POV.

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: