Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win 8 Tablet  (Read 3777 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »

I got a chance to play with a Asus tablet running regular Win 8 with a 1.8 ghz dual core Atom and 2 gig of ram. I was very snappy and you can see how Win 8 was designed for a tablet more than desktop in many ways. I think they will gain some traction over time as prices fall. More potential than a I pad.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:15:57 PM »

I got a chance to play with a Asus tablet running regular Win 8 with a 1.8 ghz dual core Atom and 2 gig of ram. I was very snappy and you can see how Win 8 was designed for a tablet more than desktop in many ways. I think they will gain some traction over time as prices fall. More potential than a I pad.

The only issue with Intel tablets is the dismal battery life.  An iPad can go for 30-40 hours of average use, and 10 hours of HD video being streamed over the wifi (about the most battery intensive thing you can do on an iPad).  Intel tablets often claim good battery life, but either they are as thick and heavy as a notebook, or the specs are inflated.

Meanwhile I can go out and operate all day with my KX3, iPad and iSDR without a recharge.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »

The only issue with Intel tablets is the dismal battery life.  An iPad can go for 30-40 hours of average use, and 10 hours of HD video being streamed over the wifi (about the most battery intensive thing you can do on an iPad).  Intel tablets often claim good battery life, but either they are as thick and heavy as a notebook, or the specs are inflated.

Meanwhile I can go out and operate all day with my KX3, iPad and iSDR without a recharge.

My daughter has a Ipad 2 and it is not 30 or 40 hours device by any means It is a 10 to 12hr runtime device tops.  Newer versions have a bit less life and have grown thicker to feed their increased hunger for power. (they had to increase battery size 70% in Ipad 3) Also they have that limited IOS on them too that is LONG overdue a update and late of industry standard ports too. .  What has hurt Win tablets in past is lack of a efficient x86 CPU and OS.  The Intel Z2760 is the first of many such CPU's to come and OS is ready too. It draws 1.3 watts max  for CPU and graphics built into chip. While it is a dual core is is also hyper threaded so it has 4 logical processors. It is rated at 9.5 hours and tablet is slim and cool touch when running.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »

I have an iPad3 and it does not have 30-40 hours of use with a single charge. The best I have got is somewhere around 12 hours. 

Check this article out. Could be battery life will be changing in the future with the Haswell line of chips from Intel.

http://gizmodo.com/now-is-a-horrible-time-to-buy-a-laptop-496028699

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:13:19 AM »

I have an iPad3 and it does not have 30-40 hours of use with a single charge. The best I have got is somewhere around 12 hours. 

Check this article out. Could be battery life will be changing in the future with the Haswell line of chips from Intel.

http://gizmodo.com/now-is-a-horrible-time-to-buy-a-laptop-496028699

CPU then Display are the two major power factors in energy consumption. Intel has been talking about Haswell for some time. The Atom line was born as a ultra low power CPU. Its traditional weakness it was placed in devices with little ram and lacked a out of order execution unit that choked it at times with poorly compiled code. Haswell Atoms will gain out of order support and 4 true cores with a focus on tablet and ultra life laptops.  If you need to by a laptop now you want a 3rd generation I3, I5 or I7 and if part number ends in a U like 3317U it is a low power CPU. Also the only difference between a I3 and I5 in a laptop is lack of turbo over clock boost on I3. Both are dual core with hyper thread and have four logical cores. I3 should have best battery life as it has no turbo overclock to increase CPU power usage.

I discovered a interesting tid bit. Intel was originally approached by Apple for a CPU for its Iphone and later Ipad and Intel turned them down and they then went to Samsung ARM processor. Intel was late getting into smartphone market but now are getting into it in a large way with latest Atom CPU's

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »

Apples and Oranges.

Intel tablets running Win8 are actually a PC that can run actual computer applications, while an iPad, gloriously appointed, carved from Unicorn teeth and sprinkled with magic dust though it may be, is simply an entertainment device for which there happen to be a few rather limited amateur radio related applications written, including some cute, limited functionality, "SDR" apps, and, of course, Echolink...

Compare the experience of an actual Intel tablet PC running PSDR with a Flex 1500 vs. an iPad, iSDR and a KX3?

How about an Intel tablet PC running HDSDR and a KX3? Kinda makes the iPad seem puny...

I like my iPad. It serves me well in the field. It's really good for checking dxmaps.com

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:26:43 PM »

Apples and Oranges.

Intel tablets running Win8 are actually a PC that can run actual computer applications, while an iPad, gloriously appointed, carved from Unicorn teeth and sprinkled with magic dust though it may be, is simply an entertainment device for which there happen to be a few rather limited amateur radio related applications written, including some cute, limited functionality, "SDR" apps, and, of course, Echolink...

Compare the experience of an actual Intel tablet PC running PSDR with a Flex 1500 vs. an iPad, iSDR and a KX3?

How about an Intel tablet PC running HDSDR and a KX3? Kinda makes the iPad seem puny...

I like my iPad. It serves me well in the field. It's really good for checking dxmaps.com

There was two reason MS did poorly in tablet area in past. First was lack of a good OS for it and second was lack of a low power x86 chip for it. Well MS finally has a  OS with potential here and Intel is finally throwing its weight into that market. 2013 and 2014 will see the introduction dozens of ultra low power CPU's for these devices from Intel. This chips will finally match or exceed ARM CPU in power saving while greatly exceeding them in computation power and when this happens, it will also redefine the tablet itself.   

KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »

Love my Surface Pro 128gig..runs everything. Next gen should be terrific

Don KF7DS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: