Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton, bring rain gear  (Read 5860 times)
W8AAZ

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:06:20 AM »

Looking at the Thursday forecast for Dayton, you may need the umbrella on Fri. and Sat.(50% chance of wetness) Mid upper 70s for highs. So you may not need the suntan lotion. Parking may be mud in many areas if it rains. So don't wear the expensive shoes.  But be prepared for any contingency. Except, perhaps, snow. However the exact forecast has varied each day, this week. So no guaranteees.  Fair warning......
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:09:40 AM by W8AAZ » Logged
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »

Thanks, been keeping up on it. Going to be on the road from Illinois very early tomorrow morning. Wet or dry I am excited, first time for me!!

Jeff
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »

Fool me!  It was very foggy and damp coming up to Dayton this morning, then overcast.  Was waiting for rain.  Instead, the sun eventually broke out midday and sunburn was on hand for everyone as well as heat.  The rain held off till well into the evening.  Now it may rain on Saturday too.  Or not. But more likely?  What will happen at Dayton, and what you will experience or find is totally a wild guess.  I particularly liked the tee shirts some were wearing.  Featured "Mr. Hanky" from Southpark(doo doo guy) holding an HT and "I survived Dayton 2011". 
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »

Sunscreen?...Nah, I won't need sunscreen. Yeah, right!  Turned out warm and nice umtil after 6PM.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 05:49:33 AM »

One thing for sure--bring boots!  At least, if last year was any indication of what may happen. Grin
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »

So yea, Saturday rained off and on in the morning, but no more sunburn. Still, did not need boots!  I parked on pavement!  Just used a little bitty Chinese pocket umbrella till the shower passed.  So once again the Hamvention weather confounds me.  Sunday looked nice but I did not go. I blew my wad on stuff Sat. I really needed but hardly can find, and more redundant crap I did not need but gives me something to play with till next year.  And sold some junk setting around the house. Some did not sell but ebay will swallow it up for a good price. So stop cussing ebay, I gave hamdom a fair crack at it! 
WA8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:30:33 AM »

Was there Sat. Humidity rather high. Arena was warm. Met KJ5XQ , an old ham friend from the 90s. First eyeball. That's the stuff that makes it great.
AB8ZX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:01:14 PM »

wow, the Kenwood booth area was really bare. did anybody else think that?

I wonder if that means they are pulling out of the ham market?
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »

Aside from the late morning shower, the weather was pretty good. My group had dinner Thursday night with a number of VHF/UHF "luminaries". Then we tailgated and shopped Friday and Saturday, selling a bunch of near new gear.  The shoppers were out and had cash.  I guess my best purchase was  a spool end of brand new 150' of half inch Andrew Heliax for $110.00.  That's seventy-three cents a foot!  Later found four LDF4-50 solderless Heliax connectors for seven bucks each.  Fantastic buys!  There were a large number of great looking Drake L4C's that was thinking of procuring.  But in the end, I felt the dream of ownership might be better than actually having one sitting on my desk.  In the end, my largest purchase was made in my hotel room Saturday night when I pulled the trigger on an Apache Labs ANAN-100 SDR. 

So in the end, the weather was pretty good, and I never actually broke out the rain gear.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »

FIP, when I said 'bring boots,' I didn't mean for rain--or mud.  I did say if last year (sewage ooze) was any indication of what may happen!
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »

Chris,
Your off by a year, it was two years ago for the sewage problem.

Bernie
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 06:03:05 PM »

After mulling it over for a week now, it was not a bad year at all, for me. My stomach is still strong enough to endure the quick as possible stops in the portolets, I did not break anything stumbling over crumbling pavement, found some neat stuff for sale, and got over the sunburn that is nearly every year, a side effect that must be reckoned with. And I parked in areas without any mud, and even though I arrived early, I think I must attribute this to lower attendance.  Which may be for the best unless it drops way down.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: