Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please recommend a chest pack (with your reasons why!)  (Read 16995 times)
K7RNO

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »

For ARES and TERT work I think a chest pack will be better than my current solution of using chest pockets.
I will be carrying a smallish HT (Yaesu FT-60) with a telescoping antenna, speaker mic and ear phone, plus will want to store one spare battery. Not much more.

Smaller is better, and too diagonal is not good, with an extended antenna and people around. Also, I believe vertical = better RX/TX.

I looked at everything Google brought up and only found one that looks like it is what I want: the Deluxe Radio Chest Harness by Med-Tech Resource. http://store.gomed-tech.com/deluxe-radio-chest-harness-p527c277.aspx?Thread=True

Any others you can recommend in that area that meets my requirements? Please elaborate on why you like it and why you think it would work well for me.
Also, if what I want is the wrong design, then please tell me why and what would work better.

Arno

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »

I have not used it, but MFJ sells a chest pouch for radios.

Randy ka4nma
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »

If readers think this is not the right forum to ask my question, please point me to the correct one. Thank you.

Arno

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:23:48 AM »

Low cost fly fishing vest from Wally Mart or Cabelas,plenty of pockets for HTs,batteries,etc.plus pouch in back for a few xtra beers.
KL0VU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:50:31 AM »

These might be a bit much for your needs, but since others might be interested - I recommend checking out the CONTERRA harnesses.  Several of us used them for ski patrol and back-country rescue up in Alaska and found them extremely durable and well designed.

http://www.conterra-inc.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=3
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »

Clearly the ARRL missed the mark here.  They have safety yellow reflector hats and vests, emcomm gear bags, patches, magnetic signs, crank flashlights and "When All Else Fails" coffee mugs.  But no Official Radio Chest Pack? 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 11:45:34 AM »

I recommend checking out the CONTERRA harnesses.  Several of us used them for ski patrol and back-country rescue up in Alaska and found them extremely durable and well designed.

Thank you for bringing these up. I had noticed them but did not consider them further because their shoulder straps appeared to be rather close to the neck. In a winter environment, one is dressed to avoid any chafing. In our desert climate here and during the summer with just a T-shirt, however, this might cause some issues. Any experience in that respect?

Also, would you happen to remember whether the hardware (D-rings etc) are made of metal or plastic?

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »

Motorola has a very nice one.
http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/Accessories/Two-Way+Radio+Accessories/Carry+Accessories/Other/HLN6602A_US-EN
KL0VU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 09:01:08 AM »

Thank you for bringing these up. I had noticed them but did not consider them further because their shoulder straps appeared to be rather close to the neck. In a winter environment, one is dressed to avoid any chafing. In our desert climate here and during the summer with just a T-shirt, however, this might cause some issues. Any experience in that respect?

Also, would you happen to remember whether the hardware (D-rings etc) are made of metal or plastic?

I've got the Conterra Tool Chest.  Snaps are metal, strap adjustment sliders are ABS plastic.  I've used it for SAR in the summer as well and never had a problem with chafing.  Most of the Conterra stuff is pretty adjustable.  You might try looking at an option like their Radio Aid Belt http://www.conterra-inc.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=76 if you're worried about chafing.
KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 07:09:24 AM »

Hello Arno,

Check out this one,  http://www.extremetacticaldynamics.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=48.
You can carry 6 HTs in this bad boy, and has a place for your emergency comms badge.

GOD Bless
Bart
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 07:46:10 AM »

Hello Arno,

Check out this one,  http://www.extremetacticaldynamics.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=48.
You can carry 6 HTs in this bad boy, and has a place for your emergency comms badge.

GOD Bless
Bart

Hello Barf,

Great suggestion. I am sure you speak with experience and you have two of those, just to carry all of your badges. How are they working for you?

Oh, and I am sorry about your tiny Johnson.

Carry on, Barf. Somewhere else!

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 07:55:43 AM »

BJ
Why attack me for helping out this fellow ham, Please tell me why my suggestion opens me to attack.
BTW, I don't own one. BUT I did the research and found a good product at a fair price.  You sir attacked me.
But I forgive you as I should,

GOD Bless
Barf
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 09:31:15 AM »

Nice try, Barf. Might even work for the less bright.

Since you have already forgotten: I am Arno, that "fellow ham" you are trying to "help". And if you can manage to comprehend what I wrote and asked in my OP, even you might get it.

See you. Not.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »

OK, the differences with Bart are worked out. He obviously did not read or follow my needs but suggested a vest that works for HIS needs. No harm.

FTR, my request is now closed as I ordered a minimalist harness that I hope will be the best one for my needs:  Radio Chest Harness

Thank you all for your suggestions and help, it is appreciated.

Arno

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 04:48:39 AM »

Thank God the whacker wars have ended!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: