Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please recommend a chest pack (with your reasons why!)  (Read 17163 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »

Yes,thank God,but I must say I was impressed by the [extrememetacticaldynamics ]vest,not only did it have a place for a badge,it also fitted over body armor,the only thing I question is its limitation on size 52.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »

Okay, the Jury is back and the verdict is: useable.

With some minor modifications, it will fit my smallish FT-60, even leaving the display visible and the speaker/mic jack accessible.
I would order one again.

That said, I would not order it again from gomed-tech.com. Not knowing this product at all (at least the sales person I spoke to on the phone) and not having one to check, they gave me false information on two accounts. After taking my order, they were quick to charge my card and then went to sleep, taking three days to order it from where it would be drop-shipped. That company then finally got their act together and got it on the slow boat, taking forever to get to UT from GA. But then, I only paid some $13 for shipping a 7 oz. item...Best way my a$$

A more direct source would be rescueTECH1.com where you can find it under the name of Mesh Radio Chest Harness.

Need pictures? Let me know.

I might add

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KF7GFL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »

I work as a start referee for a lot of ski races where we use VHF HT's to communicate. These seem to be the chest harness of choice for most ski patrol and race officials:

http://lonepeakpacks.com/shop/index.php/communication.html

They are not as inexpensive as the one you may have found, but they are in Utah.

Matt - KF7GFL
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »

Yes, I had seen those during my seach. They are fine for a rubber ducky but point too far to the side for my and many other longer antennas, which is why I decided against those designs.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 08:39:37 PM »

Keep in mind that for organized RACES and ARES activations, you may be required to wear a distinctive organizational vest, which would make the chest pack inconvenient, worm either over or under the vest.
Our group has a distinctive color coded vest (color code to agree with our client's organizational color coding) and we use the pockets built into the vest. I have a multi-pocket fisherman's vest (mentioned by an earlier poster) that I had purchased and used before we got the 'official' vests.
Check with the organization you'll be supporting to see what is the recommended solution.
KC5YIV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 02:04:17 PM »

You might also look into a dangle antenna for your HT—a quarter-wave wire with an RF connector on one end. Better performance than a rubber duck, and nothing to poke you in the eye.

I'm not sure if you can buy one off the shelf without having a contract with Mama Motorola, but you can make one yourself for cheap as free.
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »

Why not just clip the radio to your belt loop, and get an earpiece microphone?
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: