Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day TX Message Content....  (Read 6265 times)
W7HBP

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »

OK, this is going to be my first field day, we are doing a 2 man operation using a generator off grid at a remote location near a national forest, good elevation, ie 3500 feet. We will run up to 100 watts max.

My question is:

What do I say in my initial call? This is my main area of uncertainty and looked on the net with no real good answers.

I'm guessing CQ field day, CQ field day, whiskey seven hotel bravo papa, W7HBP, calling CQ field day?

Then when I get a response and a signal report, my reply, would it be?

one bravo echo whiskey alpha for 1B EWA (eastern Washington) you are five by 9 (I live in WWA, but will be TXing from EWA

Or a DX station, one bravo delta x-ray.

I'll be using a Yaesu 857D and I purchased the MFJ voice keyer, so I'm familiarizing myself with it now and loading my messages and want to get it all in order.

Another question, my second operator/assistant, I assume he will use his call, but we will register my our station under my call as primary. We will be using just one radio, but he may bring his also. So we may be 2B-EWA

I know after the end of this event, I will be an old pro, but would like to sound like an old pro from the beginning. Thanks for any input.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:03:54 PM by W7HBP » Logged
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:24:32 PM »

You have the general idea. Your minimum exchange would simply be "1B Eastern Washington". On SSB folks will know what "Eastern Washington" is more than "Echo Whiskey Alpha" (be sure to print out the ARRL sections and abbreviations to reference). I'd maybe use the phonetics only to clarify, if needed.

You don't need a signal report or any other details. If you're interested in a high score (you did post this to the Contesting forum), keep things fast and fluid at a steady pace. No fillers, no "Please Copy"s, etc. When running, the simplest and quickest exchange would probably be:

You: "CQ Field Day W7HBP" (Proper phonetics, of course. Repeat frequently with no more than a few seconds gap between calls.)

Them: "AB1CD"

You: "AB1CD, One Bravo, Eastern Washington" (Maybe repeat the exchange once more with "QSL?" at the end if the signal is weak)

Them: "QSL. Two Bravo, Vermont"

You: "Thank you, QRZ W7HPB?"

Anything more than this is just unnecessary filler, but you also don't have to be a robot pushing buttons. The exchange is not any different if a DX calls you (you simply log their section as "DX") or if you are answering a CQ. Remember that if you are answering a CQ to never give your exchange until you have their exchange logged correctly. You'll probably want to record voice files for the following:

CQ
Your Exchange
Your Exchange X 2
Your call sign
"TU, QRZ W7HBP"
"Again? Again?"
"Section again please?"
... or similar.

If your friend will participate, you need to decide if you want to be one operation (2B) or two separate operations (1Bs). If you do one operation, you must use only one call sign regardless of who is operating. You can only operate within the band privileges for the call sign you will be using. You're an Extra, so if your friend is a General, you'll probably want to use your call sign. You'll be the control operator for the station and he would use your call sign.
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:23:11 AM »

Perfect, that is exactly what I was after plus more. Thank you very much.  Wink
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »

OK, this is going to be my first field day, we are doing a 2 man operation using a generator off grid at a remote location near a national forest, good elevation, ie 3500 feet. We will run up to 100 watts max.

You're going to have fun.  Field Day is a blast.  It's one of my favorite operating events!

You've got the CQ and exchange stuff right.  I disagree with N7SMI about one thing: I prefer to give phonetics for ARRL Section.  Most everyone uses logging software these days, and software wants the abbreviation.  You don't want to make someone look up "Eastern Washington" to find "EWA" when you could just say "Echo Whiskey Alpha".  When I operated from W3OK in EPA, we said "Echo Papa Alpha".  Opinions vary. Wink

Be sure to have some alternate phonetics available.  On FD weekend the bands will be crammed, and interference rife.  Sometimes the ICAS phonetics don't work.  So keep "Edward Washington America" or something in the back of your head.

If you work a DX station, you give your location.  He gives you "Delta X-ray".

For the love of all that you hold holy, please please please PLEASE don't say, '"Please copy", as in "please copy my one bravo echo whiskey america".  Keep it short, sweet, and simple.  Don't waste time with extraneous words.  Follow N7SMI's example of the exchange, because that's perfect.

I'll be using a Yaesu 857D and I purchased the MFJ voice keyer, so I'm familiarizing myself with it now and loading my messages and want to get it all in order.

An excellent idea.  You should always completely set up your field station, make a few contacts, then pack it away again and don't touch it.  Once you know it works, and you've got all the connectors you need and all that, don't fiddle with it until you unpack it at your FD site.

Another question, my second operator/assistant, I assume he will use his call, but we will register my our station under my call as primary. We will be using just one radio, but he may bring his also. So we may be 2B-EWA

If you go to 2B, you will still use one callsign for both stations.  You will not use his callsign as well as yours and both sign 2B.  If you're both on the air at the same time, you'll be W7HBP, 2B EWA.  I think you'll be fine working in shifts, though.  Stick with your 1B plan and keep his rig as a backup.  Alternately, you could configure his rig for data modes like PSK and have fun with that.

Listen for NP2VI from the VI section.  We haven't done a FD in years, and we just got a new club call, so we're excited. 

Good luck to you!  You'll be sounding like an old fart in no time.  Cheesy

73 de Bob WP2XX
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:21 AM »

Previous responders had very valid points.

I'd make one tweak.

There is no ONE-RIGHT-WAY as far as the exchange goes.  It's better to be flexible, know several variants, and why you are using a specific one at any given time.

For ex., if you "own the frequency" (calling CQ and running) and the pileup is solid, manageable (so you are able to work them quickly) definitely shorten all aspects of the exchange as much as possible.  Even avoiding the use of phonetics in your QRZ or CQ is OK if you have a pileup.  Just use them every other time or so.  But getting "too fancy" is not recommended in Field Day.

Further, it might be less of a tongue-twister to,for example, say "Charlie Tango" than "Connecticut".  The decision to use one variant over the other is YOURS to make.  Also, Echo-Whiskey-Alpha (or even Echo-Whiskey) might cut through the QRM more reliably and be easier to say than "Eastern Washington".  I'm in WNY and "Western" often gets heard as "Eastern" or "Northern" so "Whiskey-November-Yankee" (as tedious as that is) is often clearer.

Normal:
You: CQ Field Day CQ Field Day Whiskey Seven Hotel Bravo Papa Field Day <-- if you get no answer in 2-3 seconds, say again
 Me: November Two Mike Golf
You: November Two Mike Golf One Bravo Echo Whiskey Alpha
 Me: Two Alpha Whiskey November Yankee
You: QSL QRZed Whiskey Seven Hotel Bravo Papa

Running your own pileup:
 Me: November Two Mike Golf
You: November Two Mike Golf One Bravo Echo Whiskey Alpha
 Me: Two Alpha Whiskey November Yankee
You: QSL W7HBP (Field Day)<--"Field Day" is optional, use phonetics less often for the call

etc.
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »

Thank you too N2MG and NQ3X, I have printed up all your info.

As long as I have your attention, I suspect will fill out the form and send it in before field day tot he ARRL (entry) and I purchased the logging software, it was one of the popular ones mention, but not the free one. I assume it will generate a file which I will send of monday after the even ends?

I'm in no way trying to set records, just there to try it and have fun. I know its the most popular event for most hams and want to give it a try. I know I will have a blast.

73, Rick, W7HBP
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »

As long as I have your attention, I suspect will fill out the form and send it in before field day tot he ARRL (entry) and I purchased the logging software, it was one of the popular ones mention, but not the free one. I assume it will generate a file which I will send of monday after the even ends?

Send nothing in until after the event.  The Field Day Packet has full instructions on submitting your score/paperwork.

Logging software worth downloading will generate a Cabrillo file.  Check the help files for how to do that.  I use N1MM, which is super-easy and free.

I'm in no way trying to set records, just there to try it and have fun. I know its the most popular event for most hams and want to give it a try. I know I will have a blast.

You will!  Even if it hoses down rain and is hot as bollocks or whatever, you will have fun.   Grin

73 de WP2XX
N3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »

Rick...Something to remember:  Take along your gadget bag with solder gun, connectors and the like.  If something is going to go wrong, it will, when you leave that behind.  Be prepared...and I promise you will have fun!  I am trying something new this year.  I ran 2A last year with a couple friends.  I CW, and they phone.  Unable to use the property this year, so had to do an alternate.  I am going to run 1B battery, all CW,and keep a constant charge with a solar panel while camping at a state park.  If I figured correctly, 400 bonus points, and I have not started to to Xmit!  I am really looking forward to this year, as I never ran this class before!  Good luck to you and your friend, enjoy!  This first year might be a year of lessons learned.   Field Day makes for stories to tell!   Make some notes on things you might want to change for next year!  The suggested exchanges are just fine.  I would suggest, at the beginning of FD, just turn the dial back and forth and hear what everyone else is doing.  You will soon find your groove!

Have Fun!  73  N3JJT  Scott
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »

I don't have the rules right in front of me but you would be in the A class (1A, 2A etc.). B is for the stations running batteries.

As far as how to call CQ FD, the exchange and stiuff like that you have it down just fine. One thing to remember-everyone remembers their first time at Field Day and the nerves they had to get over. Don't expect to sound like a veteran. I have done FD with many hams who had never done FD before and every one of them get hooked by the end of the event and are itching for the next year.

There are memories of different field days I have done: my first one as a non ham manning the 6M SSB station (froze my behind off!!!);when a ham asked me to look for his uncle in MD and I wanted to tell him we won't work him (due to how many stations will be on) only to run into the station 2 hours into FD-talk about my embarrassment; watching a husband and wife team do their first FD and hear how much fun they had, and many more.

The whole point is to have fun.And have fun you will!!

Good luck!!
N3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »

CJB..You can run Class B with generators, batteries, wind...etc...."B" just represents a portable operation  of either 1 or 2 persons.  The battery entrants are together and the portable stations are listed together.  Once you hit 3 or more people you can go to Class A.  But you can still run batteries with Class A.  Batteries will give you a multiplier of 5.

Hope everyone has fun at FD!

N3JJT  73..
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »

My question is:

What do I say in my initial call? This is my main area of uncertainty and looked on the net with no real good answers.

I'm guessing CQ field day, CQ field day, whiskey seven hotel bravo papa, W7HBP, calling CQ field day?

Don't end with a CQ. End with "go" or "over".

Then when I get a response and a signal report, my reply, would it be?

one bravo echo whiskey alpha for 1B EWA (eastern Washington) you are five by 9 (I live in WWA, but will be TXing from EWA

Don't waste time with signal report, it's not part of the exchange. You give the same exchange to all - you are 1B EWA to everyone.

No!

1) If the two of you are doing one operation, you use the same call regardless of who is operating. Pick either yours or his and stick with it the entire operation. 

2) The number in the category is determined by how many transmitters you have on the air at the same time. If you bring two rigs but never put both of them on the air at the same time, you are 1B. The only time you'd be 2B is if you set up two complete stations AND operate them both at the same time - which I don't recommend for a first try.

I know after the end of this event, I will be an old pro, but would like to sound like an old pro from the beginning. Thanks for any input.  

Don't worry about it too much.

Couple of things:

1) It may be better to answer CQs than to call CQ at first. Particularly if you are new at the game.

2) CW contacts are worth twice as many points, so do as much CW as you can.

3) Read the rules end to end and understand them.

4) It is better to have a good station on a few good bands than a poor station on many bands.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »

Thanks gain for everyones help (to all who replied) I am printing up this entire thread. I have also purchased the ARRL field day manual and will bring that plus a hand log. We have a laptop with the software I bought, loaded up already in the computer (Using N3FJP's from http://www.n3fjp.com/) . I looks like we will be on generator, 1 radio, 2 operators in eastern Washington using my "extra" call. So we will do the 1 bravo echo whiskey alpha.

N3JJT, I am bringing my entire Stanley box of connectors, fittings. Solder gun, Fluke 87 meter, anything I need to make a repair in the field, I may encounter. Plenty of spare battery's for my MFJ voice keyer too. Its all packed away, including a spare antenna. My buddy has the same radio I have (FT857D) and is bringing that along with his Honda EU2000i in addition to mine, so we will have duplicates of all our gear.

I will be packing and loading for the rest of this week, we head out at 0600 (1300Zulu) Friday morning.

Listen for me and maybe we can add you to the log too. Grin

73 Rick, W7HBP 1B-EWA
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 07:38:16 PM »

And an absolute MUST is to have a copy of the band chart (like the one you can download from the ARRL http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band%20Chart/Hambands_color.pdf) Print out at least one copy and laminate it! Seriously!

Even though it is Field Day, it is not a day off for the Official Observer stations. I remember several years ago the holder of the license we were using for Field Day got a "love note" from an OO for operating out of band!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: