Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Active repeater listing?  (Read 3641 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:50:39 AM »

Are there any websites that list repeaters that are actively in use, not just operational? The Repeater Directory and such websites are useless. I put a FT-8800 in my car recently, with like 50 repeaters from south NJ, DE, and southeast PA. However, like 45 of them at never being used. They work, but no one is ever on them. The other 5 are great.

If they had a Amazon type of review system on whether the repeater is operation and not dead on the air, it would be ideal. But that is wishful thinking.
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:23:24 AM »

Welcome to the hobby  Cry  sounds like a normal state of affairs. The repeaters are there, there is just no one talking. You might try throwing your call out  and see if you can stir up some "lurkers". Nice things about the 8800 is it has a lot on memory locations, and it scans fast.

Dave

They work, but no one is ever on them. The other 5 are great.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »

Welcome to the hobby  Cry  sounds like a normal state of affairs. The repeaters are there, there is just no one talking. You might try throwing your call out  and see if you can stir up some "lurkers". Nice things about the 8800 is it has a lot on memory locations, and it scans fast.

Dave

They work, but no one is ever on them. The other 5 are great.

Dave,

I am pretty new to VHF/UHF. The linked repeaters seem pretty good. I may just have to bite the bullet and delete like 50 of them.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:17:32 AM »

Unfortunate state of affairs, but that is what advancing technology gets us.  A lot of the comms that used to be on 2 mtrs have migrated to cell phones--even two people just shooting the bull.  

The active repeater list?  There is no such thing--unless you get it from someone else in your area.  Failing that, like you said, you just have to pick the repeaters that ARE active--and delete the rest.
KD8DVR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 04:18:25 PM »

Try www.repeaterbook.com  This site is constantly updated by users/visitors. 

All items presented here are personal opinion only and may or may not deviate from actual fact.
KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »

Sorry that you programmed 50 channels of freq into your scanner and now need to delete some of them.  I generally check various websites (search on repeater freq).  You will find some freq in use and other dead.  Do not expect the repeaters to be full of activity, as they go in spells.

One way I find freq in use is to use the search function, this can take some time to identify what freq are in use and by whom.  Other method I have used is to check for local events and try using the search function of the scanner to see if you can pick up the freq being used.

Hang in there, you will learn and find freq that you will want to keep programmed into the radio.

David
AC2KV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »

I travel fairly frequently and I use a free program called Chirp to load up area repeaters in to my FT-60 or FT-7900. Chirp queries the Repeaterbook.com database and downloads all of the repeater data for a given region. It even loads up the alphas so I know what each memory entry is.

I'll then scan the memories and find which repeaters are active in the area. I'll also search the bands and look up any repeater frequencies that are active if I haven't had a chance to do a full download to the radio. This works for me.
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »

I am pretty new to VHF/UHF. The linked repeaters seem pretty good. I may just have to bite the bullet and delete like 50 of them.

No need to delete them, the 8800 scans fast, and you could priority mark certain frequencies. I have an 8900 with the entire state of NC programmed in and I set the primary frequencies as preferred and priority scan those on one side of the radio and monitor my favorite repeater on the second side. However, if I'm traveling elsewhere in the state, I'll hit scan on the second side which is set to scan everything. The 8900 frequency management is brain dead compared to the 8800 so I'll bet you could set up something similar if not 10 times better on that rig.

You never know when you might need access to one of those "dead" repeaters.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »

I travel fairly frequently and I use a free program called Chirp to load up area repeaters in to my FT-60 or FT-7900. Chirp queries the Repeaterbook.com database and downloads all of the repeater data for a given region. It even loads up the alphas so I know what each memory entry is.

I'll then scan the memories and find which repeaters are active in the area. I'll also search the bands and look up any repeater frequencies that are active if I haven't had a chance to do a full download to the radio. This works for me.

That is how I programmed it. Chirp. Works well! Now I have to undo it! LOL
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »

For a chunk of the area on analog use this network: http://w3bxw.com/repeatermap.html Its a linked system on 10-440. I used to use it quite a bit when driving between DC and New England a few years back.

NJ does have an active DStar network but not what you are looking for based on the gear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: