Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows ME Password  (Read 5859 times)
KD8HMO

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »

Can anyone tell me the best way to get past the login on a windows ME garage sale pc?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »

Try this link

http://www.gohacking.com/hack-windows-administrator-password/

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »

Try this I've cracked win2k, win XP passwords with it in very little time.

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »

Can anyone tell me the best way to get past the login on a windows ME garage sale pc?

If its a computer you bought at a garage sale...you don't.  You get a copy of a real, functioning OS (read: not ME) and wipe the damned thing clean.  Nothing good will come from trying to use Windows ME.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 06:46:35 PM »

if the computer still has ME on it, it won't run much else.  you might, MIGHT, get XP to run on it.  but XP is end of life in under a year, and you have to buy windows 7 OEM or 8 OEM and downgrade it (use the Win8 activation when you run somebody else's copy of XP.)

I'm thinking drop it off at an Office Depot or Best Buy and get another machine off the "return" table at a discount, with current chips and memory, and a current OS.
W4PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:50:41 AM »

Just hit the ESCape key when it asks for a password, it'll load the default user.  then go to the control panel and users and remove the password.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »

Just hit the ESCape key when it asks for a password, it'll load the default user.  then go to the control panel and users and remove the password.

only if default user has admin privileges on no password

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 08:25:14 AM »

On Windows 98 we used to escape past the password and then search for and delete all *.pwl files. ME might be the same.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »

If it is Windooz ME try the following password:     POS

This shud be the back door password for every windows product ever produced.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 06:52:10 PM »

You could put some Linux variant on it....
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »

If its a computer you bought at a garage sale...you don't.  You get a copy of a real, functioning OS (read: not ME) and wipe the damned thing clean.  Nothing good will come from trying to use Windows ME.

So many misinformed people ACTUALLY believe that.  I have been using Me on a Sony Vaio (PCG-505F) for YEARS now...with NO (REPEAT...NO) issues.  I have gone MONTHS at a time without rebooting it.  It is the machine I use for APRS/ISS.

There are TWO versions of Me: Clean Install and Upgrade.  The Clean Install version is the one that had "issues". Upgrade Version was FINE.  I should know, since I had installed it on numerous voicemail servers "back in the day".

...and knowing is half the battle.

John KB2HSH
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

if you are doing stuff with 1998 software and are lucky enough to have your AV still upgrading the signature file, well and good.

anything released after 2005 is probably going to either slag that machine down to the speed of a dead turtle, or won't run at all.

been there, done that.
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »

So many misinformed people ACTUALLY believe that.  I have been using Me on a Sony Vaio (PCG-505F) for YEARS now...with NO (REPEAT...NO) issues.  I have gone MONTHS at a time without rebooting it.  It is the machine I use for APRS/ISS.

There are TWO versions of Me: Clean Install and Upgrade.  The Clean Install version is the one that had "issues". Upgrade Version was FINE.  I should know, since I had installed it on numerous voicemail servers "back in the day".

...and knowing is half the battle.

John KB2HSH

Really? I couldn't get Windows ME to last more than 2 months before I reinstalled it.
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 07:28:47 PM »

Windows XP will work on that machine but you will have to do a clean install (format). I have done several that way it they work great. ME was a joke from the get go. Kinda like Vista has turned out but Vista is not quite as bad. Just make sure you run all the MS updates to get the newer drivers.

Rick ^i^
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »

For an explanation of how Windows ME came to be, see http://xkcd.com/323/

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: