Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I have a QSO with myself?  (Read 2164 times)
KD0ILM

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »

I am licensed in both Vietnam and the US. Vietnam does not have reciprocity with the US so two licenses are necessary. If I have one station  set up on remote control so I can broadcast from both stations at once can I have a legitimate QSO with myself?
KD0ILM/XV2KM
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »

Good question!! Give it a try and see if it drives the DXCC desk nuts trying to figure this one out Smiley

John K7KB
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »

I would assume it would be Kosher. Guys on DXpeditions rack up QSOs with their stations while there. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »

Not touching this one with a 10 foot pole!!!
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »

Unconventional, but possible, I suppose. You'd have to queue up a transmission on one side and receive it on the other.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »

The issue here is moral hazard.  It would be easy for someone to claim they made a QSO even if they couldn't actually make contact.  (No intention to sully the reputation of the original poster.)
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »

I would assume it would be Kosher. Guys on DXpeditions rack up QSOs with their stations while there. 
So, what is the go with this situation? I have witnessed someone who worked a DX station while he was on (solo) DXpedition, and a few minutes later he worked the same station using his home call.
I have been on DXpedition working countries I had not worked before, and wished I could log them using my home call, but didn't as I believed it was wrong. It doesn't matter now, as there is worked pretty well everything that has been on in the past few years, so the temptation is no longer there.
A topic was discussed here a few months ago about operating from someone else's station using your own call and claiming the credit. This did not seem to infringe any legal requirements. I have worked stations on 160 m whom, I believe were using remote receivers, as the response was delayed several seconds.
Back to the topic; I have yet to work Norfolk I on 10 m, yet I was operating from Norfolk I on 10 m, working VK3s. Could I have remotely operated my home station via the Internet, from Norfolk I, and worked one of the guys with whom I was on DXpedition and claimed the credit?
Luke VK3HJ
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 10:05:31 PM »

You could probably set a record for the fastest paper QSL received from a DX station.
KD0ILM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 10:44:18 PM »

The question is more academic than realistic I think. My only mode in VN are digital modes because the noise is horrible in Saigon for SSB. I also have a very limited antenna so it is tough to get beyond Europe (on a good day). However I do notice that my signal gets into the US sometimes (PSK reporter) so it got me thinking.......
I have wondered about making some contacts from my station here in the US when I am home using my VN call as portable, but as I thought about it, my VN license is most likely not legal here in the US and nixed that idea. I have wondered about logging and whether contacts made under two different call signs count together for any awards. It is interesting having two separate identities. As you can also probably tell I have too much time on my hands sometimes.
Kevin
KD0ILM/XV2KM
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 03:09:10 AM »

Rule 9: http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-rules

For the purposes of this award, remote operating points must be located within the same DXCC entity as the transmitter and receiver.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 04:53:01 AM »

N3QE's got it right.  So the answer is yes, you can have a QSO with yourself.  But no, you may not claim it for DXCC for either callsign.

Don, K2DC
N8HM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »

That's by having someone else operate under their callsign.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »

That's by having someone else operate under their callsign.

Correct, and that is explicitly allowed by Rule 10: http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-rules

10. All contacts must be made using call signs issued to the same station licensee. Contacts made by an operator other than the licensee must be made from a station owned and usually operated by the licensee, and must be made in accordance with the regulations governing the license grant. Contacts may be made from other stations provided they are personally made by the licensee. The intent of this rule is to prohibit credit for contacts made for you by another operator from another location. You may combine confirmations from several call signs held for credit to one DXCC award, as long as the provisions of Rule 9 are met. Contacts made from club stations using a club call sign may not be used for credit to an individual's DXCC.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »

It will save a couple of bucks for postage Grin But it will not count for DXCC.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »

N3QE nailed it.

But let's say I need Navassa.  But I travel to Navassa with the DXpedition team (oh, how I can dream that I were on the team that eventually goes there).

What fun is it if I have my buddy go to my home station and work me while I am on Navassa, for DXCC credit?  I did not do the operating, I don't get the thrill of busting the pileup.  Somebody else did it for me.  Allowed by the rules.  But no fun, IMHO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: