Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eham and gray font  (Read 8618 times)
KD0VEY

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2013, 05:29:04 PM »

What's the deal with the gray font in the forums? I have noticed several forums that use it. Everyone I have talked with about it says it is irritating and too hard to read - And sometimes impossible to read with tablets and phones. I have created dozens of websites and none of customers even consider gray font for those reasons. So, anyone know why so many sites are now using gray font?
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 04:41:53 AM »

The font you view is a property of your own machines' Browser and Settings. 
KD0VEY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:03:08 AM »

It would be nice if it was as simple as changing the font selections on my computer. Unfortunately, while changing to the computer's rather than the site's font makes the font easier to read, it also eliminates many parts of the page so navigation is almost impossible. It would be easier if site webmasters just understood that their priority should be ease of reading, not some cool look that has never beed substantiated.
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:21:44 AM »

I'm really not sure what this "gray font" is that you're referring to. I just pulled up eHam on my Android phone and tablet and the forums are very easy to read without any issues.

Chris - KU7PDX
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »

It would be easier if site webmasters just understood that their priority should be ease of reading, not some cool look that has never beed substantiated.

AMEN!! I've often wondered why such intelligent people who have the ability to build a nice web site blows it with something as simple as not using colors that are easy to read!!
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »

What's the deal with the gray font in the forums? I have noticed several forums that use it. Everyone I have talked with about it says it is irritating and too hard to read - And sometimes impossible to read with tablets and phones. I have created dozens of websites and none of customers even consider gray font for those reasons. So, anyone know why so many sites are now using gray font?

This is the first complaint about it that I recall hearing.  I will be happy to explore changing it - I will test things to make sure changes do not cause issues.
The shade is pretty dark it is #444444

Thanks for the input.

George
K5TR
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 09:59:28 AM »

What's wrong with black??? No need to get fancy. It's visible on white or light grey backgrounds.

Clif
KD0VEY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 06:19:33 AM »

FYI: I did a search on google about it. It seems to be a trend - there are 16 million hits for people complaining about sites with low contrast fonts.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »

A simple fix is to adjust the brightness of your device.  Most smartphones and tablets have the adjustment available under settings.
KD0VEY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »

Brightness has no effect on the bad decision by web designers to use low contrast font. Brightness does not affect contrast. And, if you have the capability of adjusting contrast on your computer, it may make the gray font easier to read, but it makes all the well designed sites harder to read.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »

Looks just fine to me. I don't have a problem on any computer I view it on.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »

Many moon ago when the first flat screen TV's came out a CRT display had better contrast and colorimetry. At least they did to my eyes. A few weeks ago I snarfed up a modern 16:9 computer display with IPS LED backlighting, zillion to one contrast ratio, zero lag refresh, and 1920 x 1080 optimum resolution for true HD. Would have cost a fortune a few years ago but it was on sale for less than $200....

Oh. My. God.

Bright, sharp, the factory settings are near spot-on and my digital photo collection never looked as good. This also means it can resolve color and shading nuances as well as (or better than) a CRT, which had been my standard of excellence until now. Point being that until recently the plasma / LCD displays were worse than a CRT for low contrast situations - but - the newer LED displays are da'bomb (IMHO). Lower contrast color themes reduce blooming on a CRT and appear sharper, but on an LCD they may lack shading detail which reduces the readability.

Waiting to see what the OLED's look like when they hit the stores later this year. Five years from now I might spring for one....  Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 10:45:42 AM »

Looks just fine to me. I don't have a problem on any computer I view it on.

A week ago - I changed the body text font color from the dark shade of gray to black.

I have been waiting for someone to notice one way or the other.

George
K5TR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: