Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tokyo High Power or ACOM 1500  (Read 4963 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »

John, you may be right.  THe 1000 looks good too and i'm sure I could live without that last 500 watts output.  It's more in the price range I was hoping for.  Does it also have the nifty TRI tune set up?

73 de Kenn

Once you use a no tune up amp like the Tokyo Hy-power you will never want to go back.  the 2500 KFx is like having a 1500+ watt Radio, you never need to even look at the Amp much less tune it! The amp just follows you from band to band
and any operator screw ups or short circuits are caught instantly so you never need to worry.

Myself I have no problem with having to tune amp (and it would not feel right not to tune it) and you still cannot beat a tube in watts per dollar and a tuner of some sorts is pretty much a must have with a solid state amp while Acom is good to go for up to 3 to 1 without the need of a tuner. The day I need a no tune amp to operate Ham radio is the day I am likely to quit hobby.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 07:24:17 AM »

A "no tune" solid-state amplifier is just another technological evolution of our hobby. W8JX... why would you "quit the hobby" if you were forced to use a solid state amp? Remember back when you had to tune tube transmitters and transceivers? Did you quit the hobby when all you could buy were solid-state "no tune" transceivers?

Let's be logical here....a decision to go with a solid state amp isn't open to ridicule (maybe that's too harsh a word) that you are dumbing-down to an appliance operator. All the above posts have valid points...tube amps are (generally) cheaper per watt; they'll tune into SWR's as high as 3:1, etc. And remember...a solid-state amp is only "no tune" if fed directly into reasonably resonant antennas of less than 2:1. Otherwise they'll trip into a fault situation. So you still might have to tune a tuner, unless it too is automatic.

A decision to go one way or the other is purely individual, based on your own operating preferences and financial capabilities. Personally, I've had both, and currently use a THP HL-1.5KFX. It has served me well since 2007, with no problems through extensive contesting use. Good luck with whatever you choose.

73,   Bob K7JQ
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 03:55:45 AM »

A question for you guys with SS amps. Do you disconnect the amp from the antenna when not in use, or is there major protection against static and lightning induced EMP built in? Or has anyone had a failure caused by nearby thunderstorms when leaving the amp connected to the antenna but switched off?
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 07:54:37 AM »

I have a THP HL-1.5KFX since 2007, which has operated flawlessly since then. Not sure if any "major protection" built in, but I have an Alpha Delta coax switch that I ALWAYS switch to ground when not in use. I never leave any antennas in-line, un-grounded, when not operating. Upon approaching thunderstorms, I disconnect all antennas outside. I also have an Icom IC-7600, which some users (and other Icom xcvr users) have reported ESD problems and damage. So far, no incidents on that either. Last summer, I had a direct lightning strike on my main antenna (ground-mounted screwdriver on a hill behind my house). It totally blew up the antenna and shredded the coax, but since it was disconnected outside, no damage to my radios. This summer, the replacement screwdriver is coming off the hill during our thunderstorm monsoon season. Don't want to go through that again :>)

73,   Bob K7JQ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: