Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Remind Me Again -- Why Dayton?  (Read 213758 times)
N4OI

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2013, 04:57:02 AM »

And not Orlando, Vegas, Atlanta (or even Charlotte)?   Better flights, nicer accomodations, newer facilities, other stuff to do... Enquiring minds need to be reminded...

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:19:22 AM »

The Hara is a deplorable, decrepit, dump (the three D's), but the fact is, DARA runs Hamvention, and no one else.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:20:03 AM »

In a word: Tradition. They have been doing it since 1952. 

I believe there are many other venues that would be more appealing for all the reasons you mentioned and a few you didn't.

Clint - W5CPT -
W1ITT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:11:10 AM »

Although the physical infrastructure of the Hamvention is deplorable, Dayton has something much more valuable. That is the human infrastructure.  How they have been able to hold the organization together for over half a century is a wonderful mystery.  How many radio clubs have we heard of that thrived for a while and then fell apart due to internal strife?  I'm sure that the DARA has had its internal disagreements over the years, but nonetheless they have managed to hold things together and keep the hamfest running.
While pundits occasionally suggest that the event be moved away from Dayton to some venue with better transportation connections, a better venue, more lodging and restaurants, the fact is that this would require the uprooting of the human infrastructure...  and that just isn't going to happen.  If any group believes that they have a better location,  better facilities, and maybe even a better idea, I suppose they are welcome to give it a try.  It's easy to stand on the outside of an existing event and second guess the operations.  It takes a lot of work to start from an idea and build the momentum and reputation of a notable hamfest.
I attended Hamvention about a decade ago, and had a great time, but I probably won't return just  because of the crummy facilities.  However, having been a founding partner in New England's largest hamfest for 34 years and having some idea of what it takes to put things together, I have nothing but admiration for the fellows who keep Dayton running.
WA8KIW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »

I think history will show that if you move an event to make it better, usually the opposite will happen.  As much as people complain they seem to return each year.  Maybe it is the mystery of how these volunteers pull it off each year?  Orlando or Charlotte?  No offense, but I've been to each and they lack so much.  Vegas-too far.  Atlanta-when was the last time you tried to drive there?  That and the crime rate cause people to avoid it.  Huntsville puts on a nice hamfest, but I don't think they could handle the flea market: but accomodations and cost of flights could me issues there.  Like it or not, Dayton is probably within 500 miles of the majority of hams in the US and Canada and HARA is located just miles from the intersection of two of America's busiest major Interstates.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »

The Hara is a deplorable, decrepit, dump (the three D's), but the fact is, DARA runs Hamvention, and no one else.

No one seems to be disputing the poor conditions of the Dayton facility.  Perhaps local ARCs should focus on local and regional hamfests, while a manufacturers' consortium steps up to host a first-rate, annual, international event at a more suitable location -- just a thought...

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »

The ARRL focus is on the Division conventions (http://www.arrl.org/hamfests/rocky-mountain-division-convention-hamcon-colorado-2013), not a large national event. That leaves a hole that ends up getting filled by Dayton. If it wanted to, the ARRL could hold a national convention, but that takes resources away from the divisions and other efforts. And the whole point of conventions, at least in my industry, is to get a bunch of vendors to pay big bucks to set up on the show floor and set up shop. Trying to find enough vendors that would be willing to set up (and staff) a booth for a few days isn't easy, and there are enough retail locations that we can check out equipment we're interested in any time anyway.

The other side of a convention is going to seminars that may or may not be useful. Since we're a learn-by-doing group, sitting through a talk about a subject might not be as useful as just trying it out. Although it is fun listening to Bob Brunninga complain about the APRS network.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »

Well the quaint crumbling but historical venue of the Hara seems novel just because of what it is, and I sort of am used to it.  However some of the necessary accomodations are always nasty, and I found myself stumbling on the crumbling pavement in the flea market numerous times. At some point they will have to include some sort of legal disclaimer on your ticket such as they have for sports tickets. You accept the risk of maybe being beaned by a foul ball and therefore maybe accept the risk of breaking a leg or contracting a disease to enjoy the hamvention?  Grin
K4NMO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 07:07:20 PM »

It needs to move so we can leverage having so many HAM individuals together.  If the meeting were held in the mid-Atlantic region (Baltimore, Md.; Richmond, etc.) or Washington DC, the members could lobby their representatives on issues of importance to our community.

Plus there are much better facilities, airports and things to do.  Visit battlefields, museums, memorials, etc.

Then there is Vegas.

73s!
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »

One wonders if Dayton's lack of security will ever be an issue?

The Hara posting no Weapons allowed, even for those with permits, was not very reassuring.  Dayton is rough and having a large amount of cash transactions purposely left unprotected is an issue.  Guess the few police and rental-security will keep us safe.

Given the age and ambulatory state of many Hamvention attendees the broken pavement, deep pot holes, uneven flooring and other "hit by" & "trip fall" hazards are an issue.

In many other states and cities the Hara as it is is unlikely to have gotten public event permits.

While attending tradeshows and hobby events in many other venues, including overseas, I've not seen anyplace as sorry at the Hara. 

Every year I wonder why we put up with the place.

Thinking of checking out Hamcon or Hamcation for 2014 myself. 

Steve
K9ZW

BLOG (Including my Dayton 2013 Recap):  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 01:47:03 AM »

If you have a concealed carry permit I wold advise ignoring the "rule" and packing anyway.  At the worst they can kick you off the property, but if it's concealed how could they know?

It's just a stupid convention center, not a federal courthouse.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 04:51:22 AM »

.....Thinking of checking out Hamcon or Hamcation for 2014 myself. 

Steve
K9ZW

Friedrichshafen!  Beautiful clean, modern facilities.

The Dayton Hamvention isn't going anywhere.  DARA owns it.  So until another club decides to host a large convention, this is it.  In this year's Hamvention program book, DARA shows pictures of the construction of an addition to their "clubhouse", and large building with a tower alongside of it.  All the clubs I've belonged to rent meeting space in a hotel suite, or beg the local township for a meeting room.  DARA has a "clubhouse".  Look at the pictures, and you can understand why they have a death grip on "Hamvention".
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 03:55:05 AM »

I think history will show that if you move an event to make it better, usually the opposite will happen.  As much as people complain they seem to return each year.  Maybe it is the mystery of how these volunteers pull it off each year?  Orlando or Charlotte?  No offense, but I've been to each and they lack so much.  Vegas-too far.  Atlanta-when was the last time you tried to drive there?  That and the crime rate cause people to avoid it.  Huntsville puts on a nice hamfest, but I don't think they could handle the flea market: but accomodations and cost of flights could me issues there.  Like it or not, Dayton is probably within 500 miles of the majority of hams in the US and Canada and HARA is located just miles from the intersection of two of America's busiest major Interstates.

Yep, yep, yep.  No offense to the guys with the east coast call signs, but your calls to move it east (with the exception of Vegas) are pretty transparent.  This has been bantered about time and again.....Dayton Ohio sits geographically in a spot that's equidistant to something like 75% of the population of the United States.  Major transportation freight hubs, air, rail, trucking, are all located in the region because of that exact reason.  Yes, Hara is a miserable dump, but moving it far from there will have an opposite effect on attendance. At some point, DARA will have to deal with this train wreck.  There is lots of growth between Dayton and Cincinnati, but the issue there is traffic.  Always something.     
KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »

I have been going to Dayton when I could for over 30 years. Yes I have to walk slow and watch my step out in the flea market, I really wish they would put a new top layer on the parking lot but that is not going to be a deal breaker for me.
I drive 250 miles and pay to much for the room for 3 days but I will continue to go as long as I am able to go.

I have memories there, not all great (got ripped off on a VHF rig the first year I was licensed) but for the most part it has been great.

Its hot, smells if it rains and they inside is full of over weight (including myself) sweating people.

With all that said I go to spend time with my friends and I really like the people that run the hamvention! I have 2 companies I run and I cant get the same attitude from my employees and I am paying them, the people that run the hamvention is what makes it GREAT and worth the drive!

Thank You everyone involved in making it "Dayton"

If they moved it I would not go, not because I was mad just because it would not be "Dayton"

My favorite thing to do at Dayton is bring a new ham with my and just walk around, their jaw hits the floor and it just very cool.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »

Whenever thread topics about Dayton come up, the OP usually implies that there is some kind of larger overhead planning body who'd decide they've had enough of Dayton/HARA and move it to the Bahamas or something, because it's pretty cool being there.  "Dayton is Dayton" because of DARA....the "D" part of DARA should be the dead giveaway.  The League shows up in a big way because the Hamvention is big, that's it.  They have no cat in the fight concerning city, facility, etc....only DARA puts together Hamvention. 

If you don't like HARA (who does?) or Dayton, please by all means try this in a city near you....nobody's stopping you.  I'm guessing you won't get much help from DARA, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: