Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Remind Me Again -- Why Dayton?  (Read 203565 times)
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 05:18:05 AM »

....only DARA puts together Hamvention. 

OK -- I am reminded now.  I guess the manufacturers are OK with that.   I guess the attendees are OK with that.  I guess I am one of few hams that would never go to Dayton... but would consider attending a national hamfest at any other "real" convention hub: San Francisco, Las Vegas, St. Louis, New Orleans, Nashville, Atlanta (same longitude as Dayton, BTW), Charlotte, Orlando, Washington, DC, ..........   

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 05:30:36 AM »

The point is that the Dayton Hamvention is put on by a local club. There is no national organization that has control over Hamvention. You, or anyone else, are free to start a hamfest in any location that you choose. All you need to do is find a bunch of volunteers who are willing to invest their time and money to get started. DARA members live in the Dayton area. I doubt that you will find many of them willing to travel to Washington, DC several times a year to set up and coordinate a hamfest in that area.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 06:03:04 AM »

The point is that the Dayton Hamvention is put on by a local club. There is no national organization that has control over Hamvention. You, or anyone else, are free to start a hamfest in any location that you choose. All you need to do is find a bunch of volunteers who are willing to invest their time and money to get started. DARA members live in the Dayton area. I doubt that you will find many of them willing to travel to Washington, DC several times a year to set up and coordinate a hamfest in that area.

I agree with every comment above.  DARA has obviously been over-achieving and I doubt any local ARC could do any better.  But as I suggested above, perhaps it is time for ARCs to stick to local and regional events and allow a commercial manufacturers' alliance (not ARRL, who does a great job as our political advocate) take the national hamfest to a new level...  Just look to the NAB as a model.   

W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »

I can't help but to wonder how much greater the Hamvention would be if it had the organization skills of DARA and a newer, safer, cleaner, bigger and better venue.  Is there a place in or near Dayton that could host the Hamvention?

Clint - W5CPT -
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »

Good points, Clint.  Hara is such a train wreck that you'd hope something would be in the works.  I still can't believe that a Health Dept function at some level didn't hit them hard after the sewage blowout.  They're so lucky that someone didn't get dysentery or hepatitis or something. 
K4NMO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »

There is one other point about Dayton... when it is held.  If the event (where ever it is held) occurred later in the year... after schools are out, we might be able to get more children and young adults to participate.

May is still school time for college kids taking their finals and youngsters are still in school too.

Just a thought.  Roll Eyes
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 07:29:25 AM »

.......  Is there a place in or near Dayton that could host the Hamvention?

Clint - W5CPT -
As I understand it, there is nothing even close in the Dayton area the could accommodate the Hamvention.   I gjess  olumbus is the next closest city in Ohio...... but then it wouldn't be the Dayton Hamvention.....
Though I often wondered just how much interfacing DARA does with the Hara facilities between shows?

I had the opportunity to speak with a lovely young woman rep from a German SDR manufacturer, and I asked her about the Friedrichshafen hamfest facilities.  She hesitated for a moment, and when I assured her to speak her mind she said the place was very modern and clean and not like the Hara.  My friend and I then gave her a new word to take back home with her to use to describe where she had just been.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:45:55 AM by K3GM » Logged
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »

.......  Is there a place in or near Dayton that could host the Hamvention?

Clint - W5CPT -
As I understand it, there is nothing even close in the Dayton area the could accommodate the Hamvention.   I gjess  olumbus is the next closest city in Ohio...... but then it wouldn't be the Dayton Hamvention.....
Though I often wondered just how much interfacing DARA does with the Hara facilities between shows?

I had the opportunity to speak with a lovely young woman rep from a German SDR manufacturer, and I asked her about the Friedrichshafen hamfest facilities.  She hesitated for a moment, and when I assured her to speak her mind she said the place was very modern and clean and not like the Hara.  My friend and I then gave her a new word to take back home with her to use to describe where she had just been.

Sorry to go political here, but Hara arena is privately owned and operated. Messe friedrichshafen (as far as I can figure out, site of the International Exhibition for Radio Amateurs) appears to be run by the local municipality. That makes a huge difference when it comes to lining up financing for expansion and improvements.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 05:59:49 AM »

JEG.....

EVERYTHING, private and public, is nicer over there.  The differences are much deeper than just who funds what.  Their society hasn't devolved into the slovenly, obese, lazy one of modern America.  Americans stick out like sore thumbs over there, and it's not a pretty sight.

While I agree that there's a political component to be avoided here, I'd argue that there are much bigger issues of lacking dignity and self-respect here at home.  It's a race to the bottom in American culture today.
G6GIY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 10:20:41 AM »

I think the guys do a great job at Dayton but I would like to see the Hamvention at Las Vegas for at least one year.Perhaps the dealers and manufacturers could assist by flying key members of DARA to Vegas to mastermind the show.
 Having said that I will be back at Dayton next year but I would be embarrassed  to take any one else to that awful building.

G6GIY
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »

I still wonder just how much interface DARA has with the Hara Arena between shows.  If you think about it, the inside exhibits are nothing more than a conglomeration of cubes. There's no reason to believe that DARA couldn't host the Hamvention in another regional location; Columbus,  or Cincinnati.perhaps. Other organizations hold their conventions around the country, so why couldn't DARA?  I've heard that renting the renting the entire Hara complex isn't cheap, so what keeps Hamvention there? No doubt a big reason is familiarity.   Everybody knows the drill, year after year.  Whether you're hopping on the shuttle, queing up for a scooter rental, or negotiating the pothole, crater ridden back driveway to pull into the tailgate area, we all know the drill.  DARA knows it too. It's all familiar.... all too familiar, and familiarity certainly does breed complacency.  But why move it? Every May, we come, 24,500 strong this this year, and we spend.  Can you imagine the amount of currency being exchanged in that decrepit pit for those three days?  I had one of those moments this year as I was waiting to use the "lavatory". There I was standing there, with a three thousand dollar wad in my pocket, waiting to take a wiz in a crappy (literally) port-o-john.  Don't I deserve better? Don't we all deserve better?  It's an embarrassment to see the G's, the PY's, the JA's, the DL's, and the rest of DX attendees walking the fleamarket, stumbling into the deep potholes that litter the shabby parking lot.  It makes a person, proud of his country want to apologize to our visitors, "It's not like this everywhere, really it is isn't!" But why bother to move it to a new location.  They put the show on every year and we come,  leaving behind million's of dollars in the Dayton economy.  It's not going to change until the Hara is demolished, or we stop coming..
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:48:37 PM by K3GM » Logged
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 06:30:18 AM »

Yep, pretty sad.
WE4AU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »

...But why bother to move it to a new location.  They put the show on every year and we come,  leaving behind million's of dollars in the Dayton economy. It's not going to change until the Hara is demolished, or we stop coming..

And there is the answer right there.  Once people stop showing up and dropping their dollars there, there will be a massive incentive to either clean up the current venue or find a different (read that better) one faster than one can say "Friedrichshafen".

What's that definition of insanity?  Oh yeah...doing the exact same thing over and over while expecting a different result each time.

Shameless plug:  Huntsville Hamfest in August.

Regards,
-Bruce
WE4AU
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »

A big part of the problem is that so many at the Hamvention look like they came from the same deplorable conditions as Hara, so they probably don't know any difference.

N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 04:49:02 AM »

Shameless plug:  Huntsville Hamfest in August.

In Charlotte, those riding the motorized chairs would be inspired after going to the NASCAR Hall of Fame...  I envision a slow-motion lap at the Charlotte Motor Speedway for pink slips...   (shameless, rediculous plug)

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: