Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Remind Me Again -- Why Dayton?  (Read 221352 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 08:48:37 AM »

I've and worked many events as a committee member and as a volunteer.  The bigger and more complex the event is, the more likely it is that the sponsoring organization has a professional event planner or organizer to do the detail work.  I bet that D.A.R.A. does.

As for the Hara, it's just a matter of time until it's gone, developed out of existence.  The only reason is hasn't been so far is that the owners probably are reluctant to pay taxes on their gains.

N9LCD   
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »

I've been to Dayton twice now.
I assume its because a lot of hams and companies are in or use to be in Ohio?
Centrally located?

I am surprised there isn't some sort of "Winter-fest" in Orlando or someplace in Jan/Feb?
You know, drag the wife and kids to the beach/Disney while you hang at the fest.

I guess its up to the Florida hams to get something going. 

KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 02:01:01 PM »

I've been to Dayton twice now.
I assume its because a lot of hams and companies are in or use to be in Ohio?
Centrally located?

I am surprised there isn't some sort of "Winter-fest" in Orlando or someplace in Jan/Feb?
You know, drag the wife and kids to the beach/Disney while you hang at the fest.

I guess its up to the Florida hams to get something going. 

I guess you haven't heard of the Ham-Cation which has been held for many years in the Orlando area each winter.  I've never been, but hear it is a good show but does not come close to the size of Dayton.
KQ4KK

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »

HARA has got to be fixed/upgraded, or bulldozed!!

ORLANDO is nice, next in size to DAYTON. But not in the center of HAM universe.

CHARLOTTE is GRAND. Very nice facilities to choose from. Club infrastructure not strong enough. Not in the center of HAM universe.

DALLAS/PLANO is a nice location, but not big enough to support a National Ham fest.

HUNTSVILLE is my favorite. BEST facilities I've ever seen for a HAM fest or convention. Flea market area could be an issue. But lots all around the center could be used. Yea, no direct flights, nor direct interstate. But it is a great HAM fest now. Club seems to have their act together.
HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »

I can add a few more good hamfests

Berryville, VA (August)........It's coming up soon. Very good, always lots of equipment for sale, always on my list to go

Sussex Co, NJ (July).......... I was just at this one, really good flea market, small main building, very good restrooms, always on my list to go

Butler, PA (June)........very good flea market, has two buildings, didn't get to go this year but always on my list to go

Howard County, MD(various dates and hamfests).......always a decent fest, a little smaller than some but still a nice flea market and some covered areas.....I try to get to these.

Manassas, VA(June I think).........haven't been there recently but was always good.

There are more and I could go on and on, and some I want to go to that look great (Raleigh.....and some others in NC) I may go to Dayton next year, who knows. (been there before about 4-5 times) Since I don't belong to a club I figure my admission donation helps the club(s) hosting the event. At one hamfest I even met a columnist from QST so I had the chance to tell him how much I enjoyed his column.

It's just one of a few parts of the hobby I enjoy doing. I really hope something good happens for Dayton in the near future.

73!

K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »

The DARA folks run an event that grosses north of $500,000 annually. I would hope that they want to hear from their customers, like me, regarding their satisfaction with the event. I would also hope as a result that they are pressuring Rue Wampler and Venueworks to re-invest in their facility

That is the question I have, with as much money at stake that is paid to Hara for the event, you would think that DARA would have some leverage to get some of the problem areas addressed, so why aren't they?

AB8ZX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »

I  am a Dayton native and have been going to Hamvention since 84. Have also seen a number of concerts there over the years as well. Hockey also.

I love Hara. I find it really funny to read all the negative comments about the place and town.

It's a HAMFEST. Have you seen the people that come to hamfests?  Cheesy

To have it at a pristine, state of the art facility would just feel weird.

Even if it were a 10 hour drive away, I'd still go to it.
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »

I come from the Lake Stevens Everett area. I like going to  Dayton
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2013, 04:41:43 AM »

>To have it at a pristine, state of the art facility would just feel weird.

I think most people would settle for having bathrooms that do not look like a sewage treatment plant.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »

Next year, the League will host the National Convention and 100th anniversary of the ARRL.  It's being held at the Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford.  I have no idea how it compares in size to the Hara, but it's a relatively new facility with 140,000 sq. ft. exhibition floor space, so it will offer an example of what Hamvention COULD be.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:35:41 PM by K3GM » Logged
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »

That's not a bad idea, but the problem is that nobody bothers to put anything like that together. There's nothing stopping some hams in Vegas, or Atlanta, or Miami from putting together a huge hamfest. If the folks in Dayton can do it, then others can do it, too. But nobody bothers. Dayton's hamfest wouldn't even have to go away. They could have one there AND a bigger one somewhere else, but again nobody bothers.
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 04:17:54 AM »

They have the hamvention in Orlando Floridia in Feb
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »

In the late 90's I had a contact at Wright who could get me a corporate rate on lodging in Dayton.  The only admonishment was:  BOOK EARLY!

Yeah, sure.  Six weeks before the fest (around the end of March), the Committee still didn't know the shuttle bus routes.   

TRANSLATION:  They hadn't finished collecting "sponsorship money" from the hotels & motels.  Hi!  Hi!

N9LCD

Huh

NY7Q

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »

T R A D I T I O N
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2013, 05:18:26 PM »

Why don't all the people who hate the Dayton venue start coming to the Orlando Hamcation every February and pretend it's Dayton? Soon, Orlando will be the new Dayton, and everyone will have a place to potty, stay, park, and keep the family entertained. As long as people continue to support that dump in Ohio, why should anything change? That said, I do feel bad that the great people who are organizing the Dayton gig can't find a better venue, but obviously they can't. Time to move.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: