Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Remind Me Again -- Why Dayton?  (Read 175837 times)
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2013, 05:04:54 PM »

I still wonder just how much interface DARA has with the Hara Arena between shows.  If you think about it, the inside exhibits are nothing more than a conglomeration of cubes. There's no reason to believe that DARA couldn't host the Hamvention in another regional location; Columbus,  or Cincinnati.perhaps. Other organizations hold their conventions around the country, so why couldn't DARA?  I've heard that renting the renting the entire Hara complex isn't cheap, so what keeps Hamvention there? No doubt a big reason is familiarity.   Everybody knows the drill, year after year.  Whether you're hopping on the shuttle, queing up for a scooter rental, or negotiating the pothole, crater ridden back driveway to pull into the tailgate area, we all know the drill.  DARA knows it too. It's all familiar.... all too familiar, and familiarity certainly does breed complacency.  But why move it? Every May, we come, 24,500 strong this this year, and we spend.  Can you imagine the amount of currency being exchanged in that decrepit pit for those three days?  I had one of those moments this year as I was waiting to use the "lavatory". There I was standing there, with a three thousand dollar wad in my pocket, waiting to take a wiz in a crappy (literally) port-o-john.  Don't I deserve better? Don't we all deserve better?  It's an embarrassment to see the G's, the PY's, the JA's, the DL's, and the rest of DX attendees walking the fleamarket, stumbling into the deep potholes that litter the shabby parking lot.  It makes a person, proud of his country want to apologize to our visitors, "It's not like this everywhere, really it is isn't!" But why bother to move it to a new location.  They put the show on every year and we come,  leaving behind million's of dollars in the Dayton economy.  It's not going to change until the Hara is demolished, or we stop coming..

In this year's Hamvention program book, DARA shows pictures of the construction of an addition to their "clubhouse", and large building with a tower alongside of it.  All the clubs I've belonged to rent meeting space in a hotel suite, or beg the local township for a meeting room.  DARA has a "clubhouse".  Look at the pictures, and you can understand why they have a death grip on "Hamvention".

As long as Hamvention continues to be held at the Hara Arena, and as long as hams continue to attend in the numbers they do, there is no incentive for the owners to upgrade the place.  Everyone complains about the condition of the arena, yet they continue to attend year after year after year.  If you want the Hara Area improved, then start talking with your pocketbooks.  If attendance started to fall off and DARA found out the reason was the condition of the arena, then they'd take steps to get the venue improved.

Maybe it's time for DARA to share some of the largesse they appear to be getting from Hamvention (I'd really be interested in how much profit they make from the event) and maybe donate the money to (at least) resurface the parking lot. 
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2013, 08:50:40 PM »

... It's a HAMFEST. Have you seen the people that come to hamfests?  Cheesy

To have it at a pristine, state of the art facility would just feel weird.

This is my favorite.... implies hams would be out of place in a nice facility and do not deserve anything better than Hara / Dayton!  You guys crack me up sometimes  Grin

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2013, 06:00:10 PM »

This is my favorite.... implies hams would be out of place in a nice facility and do not deserve anything better than Hara / Dayton!  You guys crack me up sometimes  Grin

Oh, I think he was making a funny with just a bit of truth embedded. 
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2013, 04:20:16 AM »

Oh, I think he was making a funny with just a bit of truth embedded. 

Yep -- that makes the best humor….  guess that's why I watch a lot of Seinfeld reruns!   73  Grin
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »

The DARA folks run an event that grosses north of $500,000 annually. I would hope that they want to hear from their customers, like me, regarding their satisfaction with the event.

Glen,
Not sure if the link will work correctly, however you can find the 990 returns for DARA here: http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/31-0686486/dayton-amateur-radio-association.aspx 

It should show the exact amount that was made by DARA by the hamvention.

Martin Flynn
W2RWJ

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »

The DARA folks run an event that grosses north of $500,000 annually. I would hope that they want to hear from their customers, like me, regarding their satisfaction with the event.

Glen,
Not sure if the link will work correctly, however you can find the 990 returns for DARA here: http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/31-0686486/dayton-amateur-radio-association.aspx 

It should show the exact amount that was made by DARA by the hamvention.

Martin Flynn
W2RWJ

DARA EIN 31-0686486
FY2010 Abbreviated Financials from Form 990:

Revenue $333,211
Expenses $151,103

Profit = Revenue – Expenses.  And, it’s a non-profit 501.c.3?  Hmmmmm.  Wonder where the extra money went?

Maybe they amended their return.......
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »

NFPs don't have to have zero income over expenses. If you think the average 501(c)(3) normally shows zero "profit", you need to do some more research.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:24 AM »

DARA EIN 31-0686486
FY2010 Abbreviated Financials from Form 990:

Revenue $333,211
Expenses $151,103

[/quote]

If that is all this event nets DARA, my hat is off to them… (no one is getting rich!)  Those folks seem to be doing the best with the facility they have to work from…. Truly a labor of service….  THANK YOU DARA!   

KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2013, 08:32:25 PM »

If you look at the public record Form 990 it'll show a breakdown of all expenses. The non-profit has to make this available to the public; however there are sites that you can look up the form for free - might not be the most up to date, but the price is right.

http://foundationcenter.org/findfunders/990finder/
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »

I used to live in the Dayton area and have been going to the Hamvention since 1975.  Yes, Hara Arena is not the finest convention center I've ever seen, but in the Dayton area, there is NOTHING ELSE THAT WILL WORK for an event which is the size of HAMVENTION! 

Many events are held at Hara year round.  If there was another facility, I am sure it would be used.

A few weeks ago, I drove 150 miles from my present QTH (Lexington, KY) to a model train show at Hara Arena.  Like HAMVENTION, it was a GREAT SHOW and EVERYONE there was having a great time. I did not hear anyone complaining about the facility like so many of the hams do about Hamvention each year.  True, the train show was no where near the size of HAMVENTION, but it still filled two of the larger halls of the facility. 

I think many of us hams will have to honestly admit that we are more concerned with the NEGATIVES about HAMVENTION and the Hara Arena facility.  Instead, why not consider all the MANY POSITIVES that we experience there, each year, attending the greatest (and largest) ham radio event in the world.

Tom, KR4BD
Lexington, KY
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2013, 07:14:52 AM »

As a former treasurer for two non-profit organizations, the most important question should be:

WHAT IS DARA DOING WITH THE $182,000 EARNED FROM THE HAMVENTION?

N9LCD

Huh
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2013, 07:30:27 PM »

As a former treasurer for two non-profit organizations, the most important question should be:

WHAT IS DARA DOING WITH THE $182,000 EARNED FROM THE HAMVENTION?

N9LCD

Huh
Breakfast for the club at Bob Evans or ice cream socials at Graeters?
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2013, 07:27:05 AM »

W6EM, from my experience(s), I have to agree with you

When I was treasurer of one non-profit, we were barely collecting $3,000 in dues a year and weren't paying on our restoration pledge.  But we could blow $300 on the quarterly board meeting over lunch at a private club!

N9LCD

Roll Eyes
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2013, 08:43:57 PM »

Have absolutely no desire to go.

Local hamfests get my money...
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »

I like going to Dayton. I do not want them to move.  I have my routine all figure out.  I know what airlines I can fly I also know what hotels I can stay in what time I have to leave,and what Bob Evens restruant to eat at, so I can get to the hamvention on time I also know were the movie theaters are. 

I'm now driving to Dayton done it twice and I know which roads to be on,and what routes to take

Dayton needs to stay if they move it out,I would have to change my routine
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: