Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Remind Me Again -- Why Dayton?  (Read 162413 times)
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2014, 09:21:30 PM »

Besides, it couldn't be as bad as a turkey farm west of Fresno in the summer..... or a tallow plant near Manteca where they cook carcasses.

I don't go to those places for a good time, either.
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »

Been going to Dayton since 1975.  I will keep going until the arthritis stops me!!!  Yes, Hara Arena is a mess, but I have so many great memories, like buying my first synthesized 2-meter rig in 1976 or 77...a Kenwood TR-7400 which still works today!  I have seen the hobby advance so much in the nearly 40 years I've been licensed and Dayton has always been the place to see all this "new stuff".

Still, It would be nice if they could just resurface the flea market/parking lot area.....

Tom, KR4BD
(ex: WB8VMI_1975-1993)
Lexington, KY
W8FA

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »

I've been going to Dayton since 1965, even before I got my license at age 15 in 1967. I lived 7 miles away and peddled my bike. I still less than 10 miles.

My fondest memories are up to about 1969.  I did a lot of building then and the flea market had so much old-time equipment and discrete building components. But about 1970 it changed and I remember talking to some old-timers complaining about the changing character of the flea market and one of them said quote "everyone has gone FM crazy" unquote.

I didn't tell them I just converted a dilapidated police Motorola (tube) FM radio to work on 6 meter FM. So I talked about CW. And they told me what it was like working spark in 1915.

For me, the best part of the "Dayton experience" is the memories and interesting people you meet, not the same-same vendors, changing flea market or run-down facilities.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »

Yes, I witnessed the unfortunate Hara employee standing on the levitated manhole cover he was trying to hold down as a fan spray of sewage gushed forth all around him.  There was no escape.

Ohhhhhhh man!!!  That poor guy.  Someone needs to find who that was and erect a statue of him at the entrance....."The guy who gave his all for ham radio."  I wonder if he went home that night and examined the confluence of everything that happened in his life leading up to being on top of that manhole cover that day.  There's a special place in heaven for him.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:46:14 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »

Yes, I witnessed the unfortunate Hara employee standing on the levitated manhole cover he was trying to hold down as a fan spray of sewage gushed forth all around him.  There was no escape.

Ohhhhhhh man!!!  That poor guy.  Someone needs to find who that was and erect a statue of him at the entrance....."The guy who gave his all for ham radio."  I wonder if he went home that night and examined the confluence of everything that happened in his life leading up to being on top of that manhole cover that day.  There's a special place in heaven for him.

How do you know he wasn't a politician in a former life getting his just reward?   Huh   Grin
KE5JDJ

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »

I think if there is going to be a change in Dayton being "ground zero" it will come from someone doing it better somewhere else.

It has to have security, space and accommodations as well as entertainment if the XYL's who don't HAM are to be happy.

I'm thinking the Springfield/Branson, Missouri, area...but I don't think the air travel to that area is economical....I'm just sayin'.....

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British prime-minister (1759-1806)
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »

I agree with K9MHZ about Dayton's location.  Actually, the location is one of the best things going for it, not a long trip from anywhere in the US.  Putting this Hamfest in Florida or Las Vegas would probably kill it off.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2014, 09:02:23 AM »

Flights only go to Ohio? Roads only go to Ohio? Las Vegas farther away? Ask the west coast about that. This is not the horse and buggy days anymore. When I drove to Dayton last, I could have driven a little more and been in Atlanta. Just driving a different direction. And there are a lot of great places within the same driving distance. Think of someone driving from Los Angeles. How many great places do they drive by? In todays world location is not as critical as the content and presentation are.

As long as the ARRL excepts this decrepit facility to hand out their national awards and all the other things they do there, it will be there. If these ARRL activities were moved to a better facility anywhere, the equipment companies would follow in short order. Dayton would become a local hamfest and probably move to a much smaller facility.

But I am biased. I lived through the sewage flood in the flea market, and have not returned since. Nor will I.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2014, 02:36:47 PM »

Dayton was successful because of the huge number of Hams within driving distance, and because it was at tax refund time.

Anyone in the amateur business knows there is a huge spike in sales around that time, as people get refunds.
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2014, 10:48:45 PM »

Flights only go to Ohio? Roads only go to Ohio? Las Vegas farther away? Ask the west coast about that. This is not the horse and buggy days anymore. When I drove to Dayton last, I could have driven a little more and been in Atlanta. Just driving a different direction. And there are a lot of great places within the same driving distance. Think of someone driving from Los Angeles. How many great places do they drive by? In todays world location is not as critical as the content and presentation are.

Don't forget the one fool who comes from the Washington State area and who  has had to dodge tornados twice
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2014, 06:58:43 PM »

As long as the ARRL excepts this decrepit facility to hand out their national awards and all the other things they do there, it will be there. If these ARRL activities were moved to a better facility anywhere, the equipment companies would follow in short order. Dayton would become a local hamfest and probably move to a much smaller facility.

But I am biased. I lived through the sewage flood in the flea market, and have not returned since. Nor will I.

No one's arguing that it's got to be in that exact geographic spot on planet earth, and everywhere else just won't do.  It's been said over and over that it's evolved from a very valid set of initial conditions years ago, and the biggest being that it's centrally-located.  Yes, Atlanta would do, and so would Indianapolis, Chicago, Columbus, you name it.  But geography DOES matter, and planners of conventions of all types know that.....you first study the demographic and physical distribution of your target audience and plan accordingly.  Your west coast assertions in this case is completely bogus. This is boilerplate stuff.  Hams as a group are notoriously "thrifty",  and mileages do matter.  To run with your thinking, let's all insist on the Maui Hamvention.....sure, we'll see everyone there, no problem.

Hey, everyone wants out of Hara.  Your League bash is really uncalled-for. They all will privately tell you that they want another venue just like everyone else.....it's not their gig.  Because they hand out some awards at the world's largest ham gathering, dump as it is, makes Hara ensconced as the location forever?  Please.     

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2014, 08:20:41 PM »

Yea they will all privately tell me, but yet do nothing about it. And it was not an ARRL bashing, it is a plain and simple observation. If the ARRL would pull out and go somewhere else, Dayton would cease to be the place to go rapidly. I would say it is more of a compliment to the ARRL for their program they have there; but certainly not a bashing. My question would be if privately the ARRL wants to be somewhere else, why don't they say it publically and do something about it? I don't pay my dues just to get QST mag. But I do have the right as a member to question them and their decisions. And as you say its not their gig, then they can leave it any time they want. Again my question is why they stay?

By the way, I like how you think all hams in the west, who may like it more centrally located for them, are bogus. Glad I am not a W6 or I would be bogus too. And if it were really about being centrally located in the lower 48, then it would be in Lebanon Kansas, and not in Dayton. So your centrally located argument is mute. But then I guess it is more centrally located to hams East of the Mississippi river. And really, not even all of that. Maybe the hams in Louisiana and Maine and Florida are bogus too? Who else is bogus? Should we consider the hams from other countries bogus too? It certainly is not centrally located for them. If I were not leaving for DU1 tomorrow, I would probably find many more bogus hams. Oh wait, while I am in DU1 I am bogus anyway!

I hope you understand how silly it is to say that other hams who have interest in the Hamvention are a bogus argument. I feel they are not.

If it is the Hamvention you want to attend, then where ever it is you would still go. Otherwise it is not really about attending the Hamvention. Its more like a herd mentality that goes to the one and only watering hole they think should be the one they use, while going past others that are as good or better.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2014, 07:58:38 AM »

By the way, I like how you think all hams in the west, who may like it more centrally located for them, are bogus. Glad I am not a W6 or I would be bogus too.

You're completely misquoting what I wrote, and you know it.  Yes, you're not a W6, so you wouldn't have any idea of the yearly west coast convention, which is always a great event, at least back when I was an N6 and lived there.  They don't have the numbers compared to the east half of the U.S., not even close.  

Wow, your $40 and magazine subscription qualifies you to have an opinion on a big strategic move that the League should make, eh?   Yep, all their fault, this situation.  Well, I suppose you're going to the 100-year convention, LEAGUE-SPONSORED, in July?  Oh wait, that may be a little far for a troll from Wisconsin.  I'll look for your call, but I'm not holding my breath.

N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »

I think they should move Dayton to Arizona and make it in January!!!! Half the northern population is here anyway!!    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
N6DGY

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2014, 03:50:29 PM »

I like going to Dayton. I do not want them to move.  I have my routine all figure out.  I know what airlines I can fly I also know what hotels I can stay in what time I have to leave,and what Bob Evens restruant to eat at, so I can get to the hamvention on time I also know were the movie theaters are. 

I'm now driving to Dayton done it twice and I know which roads to be on,and what routes to take

Dayton needs to stay if they move it out,I would have to change my routine

Try arranging a flight from Salt Lake City like I do each year.  Ohio, and Dayton in particular is not exactly a major hub west of the Rockies, so some of us spend a fair sum to attend.  I look at a city like Salt Lake with only about 200,000 people that hosts many outdoor conventions each year.  We have clean, modern convention centers here with nearly a million contiguous square feet of space.  Me thinks a facility like that could hold the entirety of the Hamvention, flea market included.   I can't believe there wouldn't be a comparable facility in the Cincinnati area.   I've been attending Hamvention for the past 10 years, and bought my 2014 tickets as soon as they went on sale in early December.   I attend for the camaraderie of good friends.  I generally avoid the inside of the Hara.  The great poopopolypse of a few years ago nearly nailed the coffin shut in my desire to attend again.  It seems an embarrassment to those of us that attend that the Hamvention would continue to be held in such a facility.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: