Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day Logging Software?  (Read 14653 times)
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:08 AM »

N3FJP = cost money
N1MM = free

+1 for N3FJP. While N1MM is free, the layout has a lot to be desired. Every contest group I've worked with uses the N3FJP logging software and it's well worth the price.

And I dont know of a single contester that uses N3FJP.  And I know a lot of contesters.
KB9UWU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 11:16:52 AM »

N3FJP = cost money
N1MM = free

+1 for N3FJP. While N1MM is free, the layout has a lot to be desired. Every contest group I've worked with uses the N3FJP logging software and it's well worth the price.

And I dont know of a single contester that uses N3FJP.  And I know a lot of contesters.

Me either.  N1MM is free and can do all contests.  Oh, you can log dupes, too.
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 04:00:48 AM »

Why network it for field day?
More than one transmitter...
Not necessary.  The logs can be merged after the fact.  It's not like you need to keep track of a sequential serial number.  Networking the computers will be an unnecessary complication.
Bob WP2XX
Yes-- and one could also just hand transcribe every entry by chipping contacts into stones on the ground in Sanskrit.  Camels could then be used to transport the stones to the ARRL and have them translated and entered into the ARRL computers...  The question was why networking, the answer was two transmitters...

The question, O Swami, might also be answered with "you don't need to network for Field Day, so why bother giving yourself another headache on Field Day", which is what I wrote.  I did not advise hand logging.  If the question was "We're running M/S for CQ WPX", then your answer is the only right one.  In this case, it isn't.  So kindly refrain from snarky commentary when someone gives a different - and equally correct - answer to yours.

Field Day is one of the most forgiving contests - sorry, "non-contest operating activity with scoring and log submission"  Roll Eyes - when it comes to logging.  There is no need to network computers for Field Day, and as networking computers can be a major PITA, why add the possibility for something else to go wrong?  Why give Mr Murphy yet another invitation in a situation rife with opportunities for him to come in, put his feet up, and make everyone miserable?

73, Bob WP2XX
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »

The question, O Swami, might also be answered with "you don't need to network for Field Day, so why bother giving yourself another headache on Field Day", which is what I wrote.
Um no...  Padawan-- that is not what you wrote...  This is what you wrote:
"Not necessary.  The logs can be merged after the fact.  It's not like you need to keep track of a sequential serial number.  Networking the computers will be an unnecessary complication."
Your actual answer, (which you misquoted-- conveniently leaving out the implied dismissal),  dismisses my answer with the statement, "Not necessary", hence my "sanarky" comment.  You should probably stop dismissing peoples answers with comments like "Not necessary".

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KC8LTL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 06:39:19 AM »

The two obvious choices are n3fjp and n1mm.  N3FJP is probably the more beginner friendly, and so is the one all my local clubs use.  But a club near where I used to live used N1MM, and as long as it was set up ahead of time, should be useable with anyone with a concept of computer logging.  I suppose the question is who are going to be your operators?  Would they get scared if they saw all the window options that can be there for n1mm, or do you want the more basic n3fjp?  Also n3fjp costs money, assuming your club doesn't have it yet...

Re: Networking - I would not bother with it for Field Day.  It has limited usefulness for that event, and is a potential for things to go wrong - taking all your stations off the air.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 06:43:00 AM »

The two obvious choices are n3fjp and n1mm.  N3FJP is probably the more beginner friendly, and so is the one all my local clubs use.  But a club near where I used to live used N1MM, and as long as it was set up ahead of time, should be useable with anyone with a concept of computer logging.  I suppose the question is who are going to be your operators?  Would they get scared if they saw all the window options that can be there for n1mm, or do you want the more basic n3fjp?  Also n3fjp costs money, assuming your club doesn't have it yet...

Re: Networking - I would not bother with it for Field Day.  It has limited usefulness for that event, and is a potential for things to go wrong - taking all your stations off the air.
Having a number of different ops, how are you dealing with dupes?  Dupe sheet?

Thanks,
Dave
AF4RK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »

namaste, Dave.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 07:05:23 AM »

namaste, Dave.
Greetings back to you as well sir.  My hands are held higher than normal...  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »

The question, O Swami, might also be answered with "you don't need to network for Field Day, so why bother giving yourself another headache on Field Day", which is what I wrote.
"Not necessary.  The logs can be merged after the fact.  It's not like you need to keep track of a sequential serial number.  Networking the computers will be an unnecessary complication."
Your actual answer, (which you misquoted-- conveniently leaving out the implied dismissal),  dismisses my answer with the statement, "Not necessary", hence my "sanarky" comment.  You should probably stop dismissing peoples answers with comments like "Not necessary".
Oh, for crying out loud.  Yes, you can network for Field Day.  I've been a part of operations where that happened.  I also observed it being a major pain in the tuchus which caused much cussing and pulling out of hair.  For NOTHING.  It was a self-inflicted problem which was totally unnecessary.

It's NOT necessary!  Is your skin so thin that can't be pointed out without you getting all pouty?  Tell you what, next time you say something I might disagree with, I'll PM you first so I can work out what to say so I won't offend you.  Is that okay?

You should be grown up enough by now to realize people might disagree with you.  They might dismiss your ideas - especially when they're unnecessary, pointless, and likely to incur more trouble than including them is worth. 

Man up, cupcake.  Sheesh.

Roll Eyes
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 09:22:06 PM »

Oh, for crying out loud.  Yes, you can network for Field Day.  I've been a part of operations where that happened.  I also observed it being a major pain in the tuchus which caused much cussing and pulling out of hair.  For NOTHING.  It was a self-inflicted problem which was totally unnecessary.

It's NOT necessary!  Is your skin so thin that can't be pointed out without you getting all pouty?  Tell you what, next time you say something I might disagree with, I'll PM you first so I can work out what to say so I won't offend you.  Is that okay?

You should be grown up enough by now to realize people might disagree with you.  They might dismiss your ideas - especially when they're unnecessary, pointless, and likely to incur more trouble than including them is worth.  

Man up, cupcake.  Sheesh.

Roll Eyes
Unbelievable...  No one said you had to network...  The question was asked why network...  The answer was two transmitters...  I'm sorry you were not able to make windows networking work...  I doubt that it will be a problem for us...  We will use networking, because we have two transmitters...  Hence my original answer...  No one said you must network...  You really should take your anti-drama meds for today, it seems you have missed them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:28:48 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 03:12:31 AM »

Unbelievable...  No one said you had to network...  The question was asked why network...  The answer was two transmitters...  I'm sorry you were not able to make windows networking work...  I doubt that it will be a problem for us...  We will use networking, because we have two transmitters...  Hence my original answer...  No one said you must network...  You really should take your anti-drama meds for today, it seems you have missed them.

Listen, bub, for one thing, you wrote, in answer to the question, "Why network it for field day?" : "More than one transmitter..."

Since you're so fond of implication - which is what started this little ruckus, your reading something pejorative into the words "not necessary" - note your answer implies that "more than one transmitter" means you need to network.  All I was doing was pointing out that networking is unnecessary, that you can operate Field Day perfectly well without networked logging.  When I pointed that out, you got your panties in a wad, either because I dared to gainsay your advice or that I simply phrased my opinion poorly.  Whatever.  The reason I'm still responding to this is you appear to be convinced "the answer is two transmitters", which while true is not necessarily true for every Field Day operation. 

For the record, as I'm not the one who set off on a huffy flounce because he saw someone else give advice in opposition to his, it's clear I'm not the one who needs drama pills.

Again I advise you to man up, cupcake.   Roll Eyes
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 05:10:31 AM »

Well, now you know one. ;-)

As far as networking goes, I agree it's an added complication but can be necessary when more than one transmitter can use the same band (not at the same time of course).

Let's stop with the name-calling and mud slinging, OK?

Mike N2MG
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »

Well, now you know one. ;-)

As far as networking goes, I agree it's an added complication but can be necessary when more than one transmitter can use the same band (not at the same time of course).

Let's stop with the name-calling and mud slinging, OK?

Mike N2MG
Thank you Mike, I finally got my Dupe question answered! 

Thanks,
Dave
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 07:27:26 AM »

Thank you Mike, I finally got my Dupe question answered!

It took a contester to know what the crux of the (networking) matter was.  Wink

One NEEDS networking if one wants to be able to
a) use the same band/mode at different stations and
b) maintain real-time dupe-checking capability.  

I fully realize that neither a) nor b) are mandatory for a good time!

As far as N1MM vs N3FJP: I find it difficult to understand how anyone would think that FJP is harder to use. I'm fluent (or at least was) in several contesting programs and when I tried to run N1MM a few weeks before Field Day it scared me (I'll get over it) and I did not want to subject the local radio club to it.  Field Day was defined by me (a contester) to the club as a "fun" radio day and not a "contest".  I have no desire to try to ram what might be one of the most comprehensive and capable logging programs (N1MM) down a bunch of guys' throats.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:46:19 AM by N2MG » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 07:43:03 AM »

As far as N1MM vs N3FJP: I find it difficult to understand how anyone would think that FJP is harder to use. I'm fluent (or at least was) in several contesting programs and when I tried to run N1MM a few weeks before Field Day it scared me (I'll get over it) and I did not want to subject the local radio club to it. 

I could not agree more here...  N1MM is a wonderful piece of software, but, N3FJP's software is simpler to use for a new person...  I use MixW for contest logging and operation, but I also only do CW or RTTY contests.  Field Day will be one of my very few SSB contests...  The thought of using MixW, or N1MM for Field Day scares me too! 

Like all software, I am sure if I got used to N1MM, I would be just as happy, (maybe even happier), than N3FJP, but I have used FJP's software for years, and all of them are easy to use, so I won't switch now.  We will be setting up a wireless network, and two laptops for Field Day.

Thanks,
Dave
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: