Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here We Go Again- No Panafall on New Flex 6000 series  (Read 14419 times)
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »

The Flex radios are easy to listen to for long periods due to lack of distortion, good AGC, and especially since your can adjust the AGC threshold easily with a slider.  This has a lot to do with PowerSDR.  IMO, the KX3 is NOT easy to listen to for long periods.  There is audio distortion unless you use headphones on an external speaker amp and it become tiring after a while.  The receive audio is too harsh and processed sounding for my tastes.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 07:22:33 PM »

Yeah its a real shame ham companies dont pay much attention the RX audio chain. 1 watt audio amplifiers with 30% distortion is the norm. Then they pay no attention to the
inband audio IMD ,and reducing all IMD products from the RX chain. Most of this IMD comes about because of  poor parts selection and generally poor engineering.

The K3 is another radio in point that is very fatiguing and noisy despite its upgrades. I had a  listen to  a Flex6000 and it does have a very pure clean low noise
audio chain.  They just ruined it by using a poor audio amplifier.  5 watt and 10 watt class A audio amp modules are readily available so why use a 1 watt mickey mouse toy
amplifier in such an expensive radio. I mean  high power low distortion cheap amplifier modules would probably only would have cost 1 dollar extra.

The Flex6000 would have been  a leading edge nice package if they packaged some good engineering into the box. However the compulsion to take the cheap, nasty and poor engineering road is quickly becoming apparent. The Flex6000 could have been a benchmark world class product but now looks like it will have all the failings of the typical amateur products already on the market.

What gets me is that there are so many individuals hams who know  about these products and their faults, They also know what hams really want. Yet at the same time the companies fail so miserably at doing their market research. Why are such glaringly obviously faults and features forgotten about if they in business wanting to make money? I sometimes just get the impression that many of the CEO's of these ham companies are very arrogant engineering types who think they know everything yet fail to get even the very basics right. Very disappointing.

I am sure  many hams would take the time and do market focused surveys if they were asked. I dont recall any ham transceiver company ever asking their customers what they really wanted. Thus just shows how out of touch they are with modern marketing principles and their willingness to understand their customers wants and needs

I am glad its not my money invested in these companies.

The Flex radios are easy to listen to for long periods due to lack of distortion, good AGC, and especially since your can adjust the AGC threshold easily with a slider.  This has a lot to do with PowerSDR.  IMO, the KX3 is NOT easy to listen to for long periods.  There is audio distortion unless you use headphones on an external speaker amp and it become tiring after a while.  The receive audio is too harsh and processed sounding for my tastes.

pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »

tl;dr

Elecraft kinda did the same thing with the KX3. In its early days it was missing promised onboard features. Since then there have been tons of bugfixes and feature additions. Since you know what your getting into there is no reason to get angry.

There are other radios that have the ability to do panadapter/waterfall. Go buy one of them.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 11:36:17 PM »

So I think the major US players will be around for us a while....

One thing I would like to see is Elecraft, Flex, and Ten-Tec selling via dealers (HRO, AES, etc.) so I have a chance to play with these rigs before buying. As things stand now, I either have to know someone with one of these rigs, or see them at a convention. When these vendors show up at a convention at all (Ten-Tec has never exhibited at the west coast conventions that I can recall), they usually don't have their rigs connected to a real antenna, which is really limiting.

I think it's refreshing that they have cut the middlemen out of the equation.  Middlemen are a millstone on the neck of society.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »

I think it's refreshing that they have cut the middlemen out of the equation.  Middlemen are a millstone on the neck of society.

But it makes it very difficult to see and try out one of their products before buying.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 09:42:03 AM »

I believe Ten Tec gives a 30 day trial period. Radio can be returned if you don't like it.  Several minutes in a dealership isn't enough time to fully evaluate any decent product.

Pete
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2013, 02:40:51 PM »

I believe Ten Tec gives a 30 day trial period. Radio can be returned if you don't like it. 

That's just fine if you never intend to buy anything from Ten Tec again. I've heard of people being black listed by them for returning something and invoking the 30 day trial period return policy.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 04:11:29 AM »

I believe Ten Tec gives a 30 day trial period. Radio can be returned if you don't like it. 

That's just fine if you never intend to buy anything from Ten Tec again. I've heard of people being black listed by them for returning something and invoking the 30 day trial period return policy.

I would have to experience it personally before I ever believed that rumor about the folks at TenTec!

73  Grin
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 04:32:14 AM »

Here's a 2005 thread about the purported Ten-Ten black list:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=6030.0
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »

But it makes it very difficult to see and try out one of their products before buying.

I think if they offered their rigs at retail prices they'd cost 2x as much...
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 05:13:26 AM »

I think if they offered their rigs at retail prices they'd cost 2x as much...

TT radios are already non-competitive in price. If Ten-Tec had their radios in retail stores where hams could pop the top and peek inside they would sell no radios. Jap build quality is immensely superior to anything TT makes. Also TT radios are quirky and that is being nice.  Wink TT performance is fine.

I once looked inside my friends TT Orion II. I asked him is that all there is? A huge radio with a lot of empty space..

Stan K9IUQ

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »

If Ten-Tec had their radios in retail stores where hams could pop the top and peek inside they would sell no radios. Jap build quality is immensely superior to anything TT makes.

I had an Omni-VI years ago and the circuit boards had unplated copper traces and no solder mask. They looked like something like someone made in their kitchen sink.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 04:14:14 AM »

Here's a 2005 thread about the purported Ten-Ten black list:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=6030.0

Thanks for the URL.  I read the thread.  Confirmed my opinion of Ten-Tec as a "straight-talking" company that uses good judgement when dealing with customers.  By the way, their new model 506 Rebel open-source QRP transceiver is real innovation.   Reading the group discussions, it is quickly catching on with those who want to experiment with programming their own SDRs (getting back to the OP here).  This is the kind of ham radio gear that could bring an influx of new, younger hams into the hobby.... and with a huge shout-out to the folks at Ten-Tec!

73  Grin
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: