Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a new computer. need advice  (Read 9067 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »

All Intel I7 CPU are 4 core with hyper threading and always has been (8 virtual cores). I3 and I5 are 2 core with hyper threading (4 virtual cores). While I am in no way saying the Haswell does not bring improvements the Video performance saw BIG increase over Ivy bridges predecessor, Haswell built on that improvement.   The current 3 gen I cores series processors are cool running and fast. It is easy to discern between 2nd and 3rd gen I cores (3rd have much better video). There will be a 4 digit model number. All 2xxx numbers are 2nd gen and all 3xxx are 3rd gen.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »

I think anything manufactured in the last ten years would more than satisfy the requirements stated in the OP.

I don't mind talking shop about the latest in microcomputer technology, heck my new video card costs as much as the whole system outlined in the OP, but this fourth-gen I7 talk is pretty off-topic to a post about wanting a inexpensive system for text processing. (Recommending more than four gigs of ram certainly is not crazy in 2013 but I honestly think four would do it.)

Just my 2,000,000 won.  Cool
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »

I think anything manufactured in the last ten years would more than satisfy the requirements stated in the OP.

Why would you "invest" in 10 year old hard for todays needs that besides being slow could die tomorrow?

I don't mind talking shop about the latest in microcomputer technology, heck my new video card costs as much as the whole system outlined in the OP, but this fourth-gen I7 talk is pretty off-topic to a post about wanting a inexpensive system for text processing. (Recommending more than four gigs of ram certainly is not crazy in 2013 but I honestly think four would do it.)

Just my 2,000,000 won.  Cool

Point new technology is cheaper in long run than old. Even on Internet were we built on HTML5 and beyond more powerful systems make it a pleasant experience. Ram for a new system using DDR3 is also about 1/3 the cost of ram for a older system using DDR2. Older than that good luck finding it. Also as I stated earlier, Dell is going to be taken private very soon and is abandoning consumer and business PC market. Future focus high end servers and software so last thing you want to buy is a new Dell PC.   

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »

You don't have to invest in old computers, they're usually found for free. I was simply stating that I find it odd to recommend bleeding edge tech for text processing. What the OP probably ought to do is get a $500 laptop and an extra monitor. Screen real estate is almost always a welcome addition.

As I said, my wife loves her $500 laptop. I tried one for a while and sent it back. For my work (and play), I do want the hot tech.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »

You don't have to invest in old computers, they're usually found for free. I was simply stating that I find it odd to recommend bleeding edge tech for text processing. What the OP probably ought to do is get a $500 laptop and an extra monitor. Screen real estate is almost always a welcome addition.

As I said, my wife loves her $500 laptop. I tried one for a while and sent it back. For my work (and play), I do want the hot tech.

I agree on the Laptop. You can get a lot for around 500. Check out HP Pro Book 4540 series. Sturdy units with metal skins and then come with Win7 Professional (not just premium) 64bit installed AND WIN8 Professional too. They come with both WIN7 AND 8 full install DVD'S. (two OSes for price of one)

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 01:22:13 PM »

And laptops come with built-in Uninterpretable Power Supplies (UPS).
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »

W8JX, the laptops in that IBM link are not six years old, three or less off lease.

Now if somebody is in 'the business' and needs the latest and greatest, yes shop new.

If you need a dependable laptop for your shack or another for digital modes, for the kids to use
at home for school work, you can't beat an off lease Thinkpad.

Keep in mind, the Thinkpads in that link did not retail new for $500, more like $1K and higher for
the T series.

73 james
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »

W8JX, the laptops in that IBM link are not six years old, three or less off lease.

Using link you provided I researched the specs of laptops is question and they used hardware of 6 year old design. Old parts in new box does not make it cutting edge. It was dated when it shipped.

If you need a dependable laptop for your shack or another for digital modes, for the kids to use
at home for school work, you can't beat an off lease Thinkpad.

Again bad advise too old of hardware. People are flocking to tablets today in part because they are instant on and ready to go in a heart-beat. Not so with these old boat anchors nor do though remotely offer long battery life and cool running. Modern entry level laptops with WIN8 offer instant from standby and some can last many weeks on standby without recharge. They can also receive Email/messages while sleeping, fast and cool running and offer longer battery life too so again why do I want a discontinued brick?

Keep in mind, the Thinkpads in that link did not retail new for $500, more like $1K and higher for
the T series.

Honestly it does not matter if they were 1500 dollar list price new, they are old and dated and not worth even 200 in todays market in value for dollar. New laptops are too cheap and too advanced.

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »

W8JX,

You are comparing consumer grade gear to Thinkpad business class gear.

The age of the design is no matter if it was manufactured less then
36 months ago and often these systems don't get much use as they
are used as backups for hotsites or sit in the closet in somebody's office.

If you are using it in the shack these systems work fine,
I use one for Autocad and also run Wolfram Mathematica on another.
No problem using video editing software on any of them.

Easy to find parts and the hardware service manual on the web for
the thinkpads, try that with these other vendors.

I will be using Thinkpads of this 'vintage' at our club field day again this year.

73 james
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:59:15 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »

NASA has a large number of Thinkpads in use on the
International Space station and used them on the retired Shuttle Fleet.

Throughout 2006, a ThinkPad A31p was being used in the Service Module Central Post of the International Space Station and seven ThinkPad A31p laptops were in service in orbit aboard the International Space Station.

As of 2010, the Space Station was equipped with 68 ThinkPad A31 computers along with 32 new Lenovo ThinkPad T61p laptops plus a dedicated IP phone which also has limited video phone capabilities.

Work incorporating those laptops into the station's LAN continued into June 2011.
All laptops aboard the ISS are connected to the station's LAN via Wi-Fi and are connected to the ground at 3 Mbit/s up and 10 Mbit/s down, comparable to home DSL connection speeds.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »

NASA has a large number of Thinkpads in use on the
International Space station and used them on the retired Shuttle Fleet.

Throughout 2006, a ThinkPad A31p was being used in the Service Module Central Post of the International Space Station and seven ThinkPad A31p laptops were in service in orbit aboard the International Space Station.

As of 2010, the Space Station was equipped with 68 ThinkPad A31 computers along with 32 new Lenovo ThinkPad T61p laptops plus a dedicated IP phone which also has limited video phone capabilities.

Work incorporating those laptops into the station's LAN continued into June 2011.
All laptops aboard the ISS are connected to the station's LAN via Wi-Fi and are connected to the ground at 3 Mbit/s up and 10 Mbit/s down, comparable to home DSL connection speeds.

If you want to live with 6 year old or older stuff have at it but foolish money spent in today's rapidly changing hardware standard. No surprise on Nasa as they are very slow to change and all hardware has to be qualified and spare parts for it too. I very recently spent 4 days in hospital for orthopedic surgery and when I tested connection with a netbook I got 31mb/sec download and 16mb upload. Fastest wireless I have tested. I was able to use and exploit this with even a lowly modern netbook which also supports latest wireless standards and never even got warm and would run up to 10hrs on a charge. So tell me again why do I want a doorstop coffee heater?

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 06:06:01 PM »

W8JX, glad you are on the mend,

your using a wireless at a hospital, business class, you can't get that at home.
The ISS don't need that speed either.

I'll take my chances with Thinkpad quality and reputation over the consumer grade stuff.

73 james
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 06:36:56 PM »

W8JX, glad you are on the mend,

your using a wireless at a hospital, business class, you can't get that at home.
The ISS don't need that speed either.

I'll take my chances with Thinkpad quality and reputation over the consumer grade stuff.

73 james

Thanks for condolences....  It was not fun and still quite painful.

I guess the point I am trying to make is while IBM did not make bad laptops, things have changed a lot in laptop world. It was easy to stay connected with modern, light weight and inexpensive technology even in a hospital ward. I could surf, do email, post a few eham comment and video chat with a laptop weighing less than 3 lbs and not need to be tethered to wall power and that even when battery is at 40%, still have 3 or 4 hours run time left. Near instant on from standby too.  None of this remotely possible with old IBM.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 03:36:52 AM »

I'm only using this for ham radio functions only e.g. logging, internet access, LOTW etc.  No gaming.  Are these specs sufficient?
The total cost is about $480.

Judging from the other replies, obviously not sufficient specs. You cannot possibly run a logging program and use LOTW or check QRZ.com for callsigns unless you have at least an 4th generation i7, 12 Gigabytes of RAM, Two 1 terabyte hard drives, at least NVIDIA GTS Titan video, two 29 inch monitors and you must have Windows 8. And absolutely not a Dell or HP. You might just get by with an Origin Genesis or a Falcon Tiki.

I must be doing something terribly wrong since my 10 year old Dell Windows XP 15 inch laptop Pentium with 1 Gb RAM and 100 Gb hard drive seems to be doing just fine for the same uses.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:01:33 AM by WN9HJW » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 05:48:26 AM »

I'm only using this for ham radio functions only e.g. logging, internet access, LOTW etc.  No gaming.  Are these specs sufficient?
The total cost is about $480.

Judging from the other replies, obviously not sufficient specs. You cannot possibly run a logging program and use LOTW or check QRZ.com for callsigns unless you have at least an 4th generation i7, 12 Gigabytes of RAM, Two 1 terabyte hard drives, at least NVIDIA GTS Titan video, two 29 inch monitors and you must have Windows 8. And absolutely not a Dell or HP. You might just get by with an Origin Genesis or a Falcon Tiki.

I must be doing something terribly wrong since my 10 year old Dell Windows XP 15 inch laptop Pentium with 1 Gb RAM and 100 Gb hard drive seems to be doing just fine for the same uses.

A core I3 or I5 and 4 gig or more will do fine with Win 8. The debate started when user wanted to use a CPU considerably less powerfully than main stream I3 processor. Dell has a history of using cheapest possible hardware. It is a fact that a big part of the reason Vista got such a bad launch and reputation was because Dell rushed to market with hardware that was not Vista compliant and only 512 meg of RAM too and it had a lot of problems. WHen Vista relaunch as SP1 and on compliant hardware for HP and with more RAM, there was no problems bu Dell had muddied water with its flood of bad hardware.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: