Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wayne Green W2NSD  (Read 29264 times)
VA1CQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »

Wayne is around 91 years old, assuming he's still alive.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 07:58:14 PM »

I remember Wayne Greene quite well.  At one time he was well ahead of his time..... back when almost everyone was using separate transmitters/receivers, each weighing around 70lbs....Wayne advocated small box transceivers.  I considered this blasphemy.

I wrote him a nasty reply to one of his rants and we had a contemptuous back and forth for about a month.  He wasn't one to back off from any opinion he had formed.

Then in later years he started running on the crossties and I stopped reading him.  I too am surprised he's still with us.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 05:41:32 AM »

He has a web site with a 2012 date on it and adverts for wacky books.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 05:55:09 AM »

Not that I agree with some of his wacky ideas, but his main purpose in life was to make his readers think.  Look outside the box.  Use their brains instead of taking for granted all the bulldookey that floats around about things.

I think he did that quite well.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 06:32:31 AM »

Entertainment. 

It can be a quite viable business here. 

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »

Ol' Never Say Die never lets facts or logic get in the way of a good rant.

AFAIK he's still around. I encountered him on another forum sometime back and he made a whole bunch of statements about ham radio in the 1960s-70s that were just plain wrong and easily disproved if you knew the facts.

So I did.

He wasn't exactly happy that somebody could answer back, and soon departed.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 09:28:57 AM »

you know, all this bashing, Wayne might be so shocked he'll fall right off his unicorn Wink
K7DAA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 01:19:59 AM »

Wayne was/is ahead of his time in many things, and in a parallel universe on a few others. 

And he's still very much alive.

I always enjoyed reading his editorials, and he had some very progressive views on subjects such as education, where ham radio was going, computerization of many things, and computers themselves.  He started Byte Magazine, which was a very well-respected computer mag, and one of the very first.  I respect his many contributions.

That said, he certainly did rant and rant about the ARRL, governments in general, cold fusion, blood cleansing, electro-stimulation, strange health foods and health practices, the wrongs of traditional doctors and the medical profession, prescription drugs, etc, etc.

He's certainly outlived many of his overweight, chain-smoking detractors, though, so he isn't completely loony toons about the healthy-living stuff he preached about...and still practices today.

I don't think Wayne ever produced anything that was boring or pedestrian.  Ya gotta respect him for that!

Here's to you, Wayne!
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 07:47:33 AM »

I remember Wayne Green from the 1970's when I first got my ticket, I'm surprised that he's still alive.

Me too. I would have guessed that Never-Say-Die died 10 years ago or more. How old is he?

Mr Cold Fusion, right?

I would say that Wayne must be close to 90 by now but he is still going.  He was never in the mainstream of amateur radio but no one can deny that he is an intelligent man.  Wayne did help to shape the hobby and as an avid home brewer in the 60's through the 80's 73 magazine was always one of my favorites.

Who knows, maybe cold fusion really will work some day.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 08:01:20 AM »

His License info indicates his license expired in July 2012.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »

His License info indicates his license expired in July 2012.

Not according to the FCC: his license expires in July, 2017.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 12:18:23 AM »

QRZ isn't up to date then.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 04:48:52 AM »

QRZ isn't up to date then.

This site gets their lookup feed from QRZ, and I just looked--his expiration date IS indicated as 2017.  Since the date is shown with the year first, then the month and the day, (Expiration Date: 2017-07-02) are you sure you just didn't look and see the '2' at the end and mistook that for the year?  Most of us are used to seeing the year after the month and day, not before.  No offense intended, I'm just asking.  73!
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 05:59:24 PM »

Pure entertainment! I remember many QSOs that were started by his rants. Some were serious when Wayne dabbled with serious subjects. But most were just hilarious when his name came up. The key was to not take him all that seriously and treat it as comedy. Those QSOs back then were much better then others on the bands at the time complaining, in profane language, of getting pink slips for using profane language!

Thanks for the laughs Wayne!
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 07:40:24 PM »

Ol' Never Say Die never lets facts or logic get in the way of a good rant.

Ohh just like the hot air on AM radio these days called Limbaugh....(how many times I have caught him in lies)
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: