Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wayne Green W2NSD  (Read 23169 times)
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 07:05:37 AM »

Ohh just like the hot air on AM radio these days called Limbaugh....(how many times I have caught him in lies)

Care to list some of those for us? 

In context, with actual facts? 

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »

Yea, list some.  Was going to ask the same question but figured, "what the hell."  Another libtart!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »

I think he lost his list in the laundry or it went down the toilet with the rest of the ___.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 11:28:05 AM »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rush+limbaugh+fact+check
 Cheesy
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »

Those of us who have actually taken the time to listen and find out for ourselves know who is doing the real lying...
KB7XU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 07:37:09 AM »

I really liked 73.  Green published it in what is called a "perfect" binding and had the table of contents right on cover one (front cover) where it's most useful.  I also enjoyed 73 because the project construction articles were usually achieveable by the average ham.  I really miss 73.
I always enjoyed his editorials as well.  They were always interesting and the subject matter wasn't
always ham radio.  I remember one where he was ranting along about something or another and then
right in the middle of the editorial he managed to squeeze in a recipe for old-time New Hampshire applesauce that he
enjoyed.   Grin  I wish him well.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 09:05:20 AM »

I really liked 73.  Green published it in what is called a "perfect" binding and had the table of contents right on cover one (front cover) where it's most useful.  I also enjoyed 73 because the project construction articles were usually achieveable by the average ham.  I really miss 73.
I always enjoyed his editorials as well.  They were always interesting and the subject matter wasn't
always ham radio.  I remember one where he was ranting along about something or another and then
right in the middle of the editorial he managed to squeeze in a recipe for old-time New Hampshire applesauce that he
enjoyed.   Grin  I wish him well.

I totally agree.  If you were into home brewing ham gear 73 was way better than QST, at least in the 70's and 80's.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »

He lost me when he started to whine about how he couldn't get the ignition noise out of his CB radio.  You're a HAM, Wayne baby, you PUBLISH an amateur magazine, rretend it's TEN meters  and go from there.  Plenty of info, IF you could b ring yourself to read an ARRL publication.  Apparently he could not. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 08:02:13 PM »

I too miss 73 magazine.  It was a fun read with very nice construction articles.  As for reading the editorials, I did those like I do everything else. I either read them or skipped them. 

Which is what we all should be doing instead of trying to change everyone to our way of thinking. 

Wayne's obsession with the ARRL was over the top.  If he would have left ARRL alone and concentrated on his publication things would have gone much better for him and his magazine.  73 is sorely missed, as well as CQ.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »

I always felt it was good until it turned into '2m FM Repeater user monthly' in the early 70s.
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 10:08:28 AM »

I totally agree.  If you were into home brewing ham gear 73 was way better than QST, at least in the 70's and 80's.
[/quote]

I don't agree at all.  73 had more homebrew articles.  However, QST's projects were selected for suitability; constructed and tested in ARRL's laboratory; and carefully edited.  73's projects were none of the above. 

Neil N3DF
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »

What? 

Are you saying that the Big Bright Green Colloidal Silver Machine was a bad project? 

*grin*

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »

I don't agree at all.  73 had more homebrew articles.  However, QST's projects were selected for suitability; constructed and tested in ARRL's laboratory; and carefully edited.  73's projects were none of the above.  

Exactly! I forget the details, but I recall one project published that was actually dangerous to build. It was sent in in the 1970's as a gag (or test) of sorts. And amazingly, 73 actually printed it.

Ask W8JI about it. I remember him talking about it on the 147.375 repeater in Toledo, OH many years ago. IIRC, he actually called Wayne Green about this, and Wayne's defense was "Why would anybody [who sends in technical articles to be published] want to lie to us?". Amazing.

Look at the page of editors' names, etc. in some 73 magazines of that era. The lack of a technical editor was glaringly obvious.

QST was better back then, yes. But no ham magazine published in the USA were better than Ham Radio before Jim Fisk, W1HR, died.

VA1CQ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2014, 01:59:15 PM »

For the record, Wayne Green W2NSD/1 died September 15, 2013. http://www.arrl.org/news/ham-radio-publications-pioneer-visionary-iconoclast-wayne-green-w2nsd-sk
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2014, 07:01:07 AM »

For me, I enjoyed 73 magazine and Wayne Green's editorials were just that - his opinion.  The technical articles I found to be a big draw, in that there were many practical projects, some of which I built.  73 Publications' books were excellent and i learned a LOT from such things as

> RTTY/ASCII and how it all worked mechanically, then digitally,

>  Computers for hamming, with computer programming communication using reworked Bell modems for RTTY/ASCII. //ARRL at that time fought ASCII tooth-and-nail ' ..because the FCC will not be able to monitor...'  what nonsense!//

>  The Weather Satellite Handbook carried by them was excellent and through it I learned to write my own programs on the tiny ZX80 & 81 (1K and 2 K machines - I'm STILL frugal with writing code) for orbital dynamics .

>  DDRR antennas for HF through 2 meters.

>  I ALSO remember when he had the series of articles about Phone Phreaking, how the telco system actually worked and etc. .  Ma'Ball tried to sue.

>  Then there was his article or two about spoofing traffic radar, including a frequency -v- speed compensating idea so that whether you're driving 5 , 55 or 105, the radar of that time period would doppler to your pre-set speed indicated!  Man, I laughed myself silly over that one. //He probably got pulled-over for speeding and decided it was time for a little electronic warfare. //

73 was always a good read for me.  It was generally filled with new and interesting ideas with practical experiments (and the occasional 'ozone generator for health ...  - well, can't win'em all.)   Each month overseas, I'd buy it as soon at it showed-up in the nearest PX.

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._   ._

Ps.  If we want to poke fun at his health views, he was healthier at 91 than most of us are at 50, 60, 70 ... , so maybe there was something to it.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: