Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monk Apollo QRV  (Read 19991 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »

Something just hit me...

What IF SV2ASP/A is SLIM in MONKS CLOTHING !
I have already been burnt by SLIM using that callsign.

Nope. It's the real McCoy, according to a few sources.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 01:40:41 PM »

Something just hit me...

What IF SV2ASP/A is SLIM in MONKS CLOTHING !
I have already been burnt by SLIM using that callsign.

Nope. It's the real McCoy, according to a few sources.

Was it him or his friend?  I am still in awe at the amount of time he has been on lately. Maybe the trend will continue. But with a few more bands. I would love to get him on a few more. Now that the pressure of working him is gone, I can actually enjoy the chase.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »

Orthodox Easter was a couple of weeks ago so they may be getting a little break now.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 07:44:18 AM »

I KNEW I should have skipped that Memorial Day Picnic!

paul
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »

Sadly I missed the chance to work him as well and I need /A as an ATNO.

I only work CW for DXCC, does he work CW or does he only work SSB/digital?
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »

Sadly I missed the chance to work him as well and I need /A as an ATNO.

I only work CW for DXCC, does he work CW or does he only work SSB/digital?

This was CW, heavy use of macros but CW none the less.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »

I just worked him 15 minutes ago, a new one for me! I heard him and had no luck in working him this morning and was surprised to see him (still) on again this afternoon.

It looks like his QSL info is direct with GS and SAE. If anyone has any recent info on successfully QSLing him, please let us know!

I sent out a card on 27th Jan 2013 with SAE and $4 and have not heard back from him.  I am not sure how long I must wait but this seems like a long time.

Sent out another Card Today with $5 USD + 2x IRC + A note explaining that this is the second attempt and what is in the envelope Undecided  I did this so if the money is stolen intransit he as least has the 2xIRC and knows that I did put money in the envelope.  

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »

I just worked him 15 minutes ago, a new one for me! I heard him and had no luck in working him this morning and was surprised to see him (still) on again this afternoon.

It looks like his QSL info is direct with GS and SAE. If anyone has any recent info on successfully QSLing him, please let us know!

I sent out a card on 27th Jan 2013 with SAE and $4 and have not heard back from him.  I am not sure how long I must wait but this seems like a long time.

Sent out another Card Today with $5 USD + 2x IRC + A note explaining that this is the second attempt and what is in the envelope Undecided  I did this so if the money is stolen intransit he as least has the 2xIRC and knows that I did put money in the envelope.  

Well as fate would have it my card arrived today  Shocked I am happy that I have it but I just can't believe my luck that I waited 4 months then broke down and send out another card with more  $ and have the first one arrive 1 week later Arggghhhh  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin  It must be a test of Faith and I failed  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:50:52 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »

Hrrrmmph! I've waited four YEARS for a QSO with Apollo, and still no chance yet!
One lives in hope.
I do have a QSO with XZ1K that most don't, so that eases the "pain" HI!
Luke VK3HJ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »

Hrrrmmph! I've waited four YEARS for a QSO with Apollo, and still no chance yet!
One lives in hope.
I do have a QSO with XZ1K that most don't, so that eases the "pain" HI!
Luke VK3HJ

XZ1K has eluded me so far. You have a nice contact in the bag Luke, I hope you got a card.
As for Monk Apollo, just set a cluster alarm and you should get him eventually.  I set mine and it went off about 3 times in 12 months, on the third time I got through.  I don't think I would even attempt a new band with him, the pileups are insane.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:17:16 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 08:49:05 PM »

I've never been around or at least aware when Monk Apollo been on, well except for one time a few years back when I tried unsuccessfully to reach him. My only XZ was XY0RR in 91, haven't heard XZ since then. O'course having vertical wire antennas hung in trees doesn't help me much. Hoping to work SV/A sometime soon.

Gary
KA1J
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2013, 07:56:33 PM »

I've never been around or at least aware when Monk Apollo been on, well except for one time a few years back when I tried unsuccessfully to reach him. My only XZ was XY0RR in 91, haven't heard XZ since then. O'course having vertical wire antennas hung in trees doesn't help me much. Hoping to work SV/A sometime soon.

Gary
KA1J

Gary without a cluster alarm it's almost impossible to work Monk Apollo.  He comes on very sporadically and his signal is not big.  You really need the Italians or someone else to spot him, the chances of any one person in NA just finding him is really slim it really requires a combined effort. Luckily when he is on he stays on for a fair bit of time so just make sure to get some software setup to send you an alarm.

If you have an Iphone you can try this
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icluster-dx-cluster-database/id334053435?mt=8

I am sure they have apps for android phones or you can use PC software like HRD logbook.
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »

Cluster alarms are great, but only when the wanted station comes on when there is propagation to one's own area. I have had the Apollo Alarm advise several times he was on, but I've not heard him in nearly twelve months. He was a good signal here on 20 m long path, once, late last year, or was it the year before? But he was only working Europe.
So, I'm not going to sweat it on this one. I'll never work every entity for #1 HR, so it doesn't really matter. Besides, I've worked two ATNO this year - Mali and Burma - and they are proper Countries.
No more ATNO until FT5ZM next year. Unless we have a "surprise" expedition. I'll be happy to work up the Marathon points from year to year, on 275 so far this year, so still having plenty of fun.
Luke VK3HJ
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »

Just put in the mail my QSL with SAE and GS for my qso earlier this week.

Now, the wait begins!

One month ago, the day after I worked Mt. Athos, I mailed my card to Monk Apollo. I received his card today! I am a happy ham! One tough one out of the way!

W5RDW

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »

One month ago, the day after I worked Mt. Athos, I mailed my card to Monk Apollo. I received his card today! I am a happy ham! One tough one out of the way!
W5RDW

Congradulations you got one of the really hard ones under your belt and out of the way.  I know the feeling , I just got mine about 3 weeks ago and it felt really good.  I guess my duplicate card is also on the way, it's a pity I cant contact him because I would have asked him to just hold onto the duplicate and use the money and SAE if I ever work him on another band.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: