Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: difference between these wouxuns?  (Read 4564 times)
KD0SCN

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »

im going to order a new wouxun dual band as a backup for skywarn or just to have a handheld. They are all around a $100 but there are differences with them but i dont understand...im kinda new Huh  I think its the frequency range??   

KG-UVDP1
KG-UVD2D
KG-UV3D
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »

The only one I know is the UV-D1P and it's an excellent radio - well made, quite sensitive and fairly easy to use.  My only niggle is that programming in repeater channels is much easier with software than on the radio.  I use CHIRP to do that.  (Get the programming cable.)

In actual use, the radio is a pleasure.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »

I too have the KG-UVD1P.  Something you have to be careful of on the Wouxuns is that the model numbers don't give any clue to the particular band split of a particular radio.  For example, my KG-UVD1P is the 2m/220 version, but the 2m/440 version is the exact same model number.  There is no marking to distinguish the band split unless you remove the battery and check the certification label on the back of the radio body.  FWIW, I've been very pleased with mine, but as the other poster mentioned, programming for repeater usage manually can be tricky.  I use the Wouxun software.  The manual is also poorly translated "Chenglish"

Stephen
N5VTU
KD0SCN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »

"example, my KG-UVD1P is the 2m/220 version, but the 2m/440 version is the exact same model number"

what is the difference between those two?? 220 vs 440   when I see these radios in the catologs they show the 1P, 2P and now  3P all the same price.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 12:28:16 PM »

I have no idea what a 2P or 3P is.  I was speaking of the 1P version I have.  I was just cautioning you that the 1P (and maybe the 2P and 3P) operate on different bands but have the same model number.  Just be sure of what you are getting when you buy it.  In my case I wanted a 1P that would work on 2m and 220 MHZ, so that's what I got.  Most folks probably want the 2/440 MHz version since 220MHz is a less common band.

Stephen
N5VTU
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »

what is the difference between those two?? 220 vs 440

It kinda depends on what repeaters are in your area as far as which you need. You are much more likely (in my opinion) to find 440MHz repeaters than 220MHz. That being said, in my area I'm well enough to just have a 2 meter only radio. We have a few 440 repeaters in my area, but one is too far away to hit with a handheld, one is down altogether, and the 3rd is D-Star only, so my radio won't even work with it. If you have a local club you could definitely find out from some members there what kind of repeaters are in the area.

For what it's worth, I own a Wouxun and it's a really good radio (I have the 2 meter/ 440 version). Nice for use as a scanner, too.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:59:14 AM »

...For example, my KG-UVD1P is the 2m/220 version, but the 2m/440 version is the exact same model number....

This is only my view because of my experiences with the line, but no matter how you label junk, it is still only that--junk.
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »

Do a search for "Commander Radio Programming" This a free programming download, the easiest I've ever used for a free program. It's fast and works excellent.
Check it out when you buy one of these radios.

As to being junk. These are by far the best of the Chicom radios, they work great and are a decent deal for the money.

John
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 04:40:19 AM »

Not to push it, but the one that I ordered was DOA, and I tried to get it working to the point just short of invalidating the warrantee.  Battery was charged and OK, connections were checked, everything was done short of opening up the unit--and no go.  So I'll stick to my opinion, they're junk--maybe the best of the junk, but still junk.  The old adage  'You get what you pay for'  still holds true.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:43:07 AM by K1CJS » Logged
SMAUG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 06:11:11 AM »

So I'll stick to my opinion, they're junk--maybe the best of the junk, but still junk.  The old adage  'You get what you pay for'  still holds true.

That's the thing about Chinese stuff. It's not necessarily junk, but you never know until you get it, because of poor quality control.

I wouldn't buy one, based on the spotty reputation. I'll spend a bit more and know that the Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood is going to deliver the goods, not only now, but years down the road too.

Those who will succumb to the siren song of low price should just adjust their expectations accordingly. Wink

Jeremy (KC9ZHE)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: