Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CUBEX transformer for quad  (Read 788 times)
HS0ZFQ

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:23:41 AM »

Greetings to all from Thailand. This is Richard HS0ZFQ and I am in the process of rebuilding my lightning bolt antenna which got mangled in a storm last year. I had been using a CUBEX round 2:1 balun with six screw mounts, three on each side with a hook on the top for hanging.I have forgotten which wires go to which bands. I am going to be operating just 20, 17,and 15 meters. In addition I would like suggestions how to protect it from the elements. I have a 31' S9 vertical and a 43' S9 vertical which have balun designs baluns mounted on the masts. I have put the baluns inside snap-lock plastic boxes used for cooking and have all holes at the bottom. After one year they both look brand new and no water has gotten in. Thailand is really wet during the rainy season.
     Since the CUBEX transformer will be up in the air can someone show me how to mount it and run holes from a plastic box so that the transformer will be protected and yet not affect the quad's performance.
Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Yours Truly:
Richard
HS0ZFQ
ChiangRai, Thailand Smiley
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:37:15 AM »

With the hook at the top (12:00 position), the two terminals nearest the hook - one on each side - are for the ten meter DE.  The next two are 15M and the bottom two are 20M.

I found it much easier using a remote coax switch and a separate 1/4WL matching section of RG-11 75 ohm coax from the switch to the DE for my five-band quad.  On 10 and 12 meters, I had to make the matching sections 3/4WL to allow the quad to rotate without straining the matching sections.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: