Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banner ad blocking  (Read 12849 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:05:16 AM »

Many of the new browsers have options for banner ad blocking.  Google Chrome particularly likes to push for installation of their ad blocker.

For those amateur businesses that purchase banner ads, many ads are now not being seen by the ham community because of ad blocking add-ons.

Can I offer an idea?  Similar to the magazines (a la QST and CQ), why not have a PAID BUSINESS classified section inside your regular classified ad web pages?  Charge per word or per line.  You might want to limit the number of classifieds a company can run - I'll throw out six as a random number.

Any thoughts on this???

73, Bill - WA8MEA
Owner, DWM Communications
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »

For those amateur businesses that purchase banner ads, many ads are now not being seen by the ham community because of ad blocking add-ons.

Can I offer an idea?  Similar to the magazines (a la QST and CQ), why not have a PAID BUSINESS classified section inside your regular classified ad web pages?  Charge per word or per line.  You might want to limit the number of classifieds a company can run - I'll throw out six as a random number.

Any thoughts on this???

It is an interesting idea - and one of the ones that I have thought some about along
with other non-traditional advertising ideas.

How long would you expect those classified ads to run?

How much would you pay for that period of time?

But maybe the above questions would be better suited to an email exchange.

As far as ad blocking - yes there are people that use them.

But there has not been a reduction in the number of ad views or ad clicks to support the premise
that the ads are not being seen by the ham radio community.

George
K5TR
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »

But there has not been a reduction in the number of ad views or ad clicks to support the premise that the ads are not being seen by the ham radio community.

I disagree.  You have to look at the big picture from a long range view.  I have seen a steady decline in both views and clicks at one of the other sites over the course of a decade.  And it isn't due to a lack of traffic.  On top of that, before ad blocking add-ons came along, many of us trained ourselves to ignore ads.  It almost became instinctive.

A couple of general responses I can give publicly; and the rest we could go private e-mail. 

You could offer packages; 30 days, 90 days, 6 months and a year....with quantity discounts.  Also, quantity discounts for those running multiple ads.

Of course, you don't want to make it so complicated that it deters from your other Eham duties. 

No frills, I would say.  25 words words max....but charged the same if you use 25 words or if you don't use all 25 words.  Six classifieds adds max.  No bold print.  No italics.  Links OK.

73, Bill

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »

I understand that this site does not run off of the charity and good graces of the person who owns it. There is a real cost to everything. I support the idea that revenues help pay to keep this place working and that advertising is one of the big ways of funding it.

You could set it up so the folks who contribute money to the site (subscriptions) can opt out of non-amateur related ads (as a choice). Maybe at different subscription levels you could even allow subscribers to run a certain number of paying ads per year (as long as they are amateur radio related, whatever your policy is).

I allow some sites to set cookies but not third party sites. I block redirects and lots of different types of scripts. There is a trade-off between supporting a site and being taken to lunch by a site. eHam management will need to determine where that point is, there is always going to be a vocal minority who will scream if you ask them to contribute $20/year.

We want to keep the place going and to even grow in the quality of the forums, articles and reviews.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »

I think banner ads have had their day and most folks have learned to ignore them.  I used to use a browser ad-blocker, but now my brain does it for me.

Advertising in general has become overwhelming.  Now, like the ubiquitous car alarms going off all hours of the day and night, it's just background static that nobody notices.

If someone is interested in a product or category of a product, they'll do a web search.  Vendors are well advised to have their web sites readily found, and the products succinctly described, with benefits front and center.  Nobody cares how many microprocessors are in the radio, they care about what the receiver sounds like on a crowded band.  The fact that not one single rig manufacturer has audio samples on their website is a clue about how clueless their marketing departments are.

- k
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 02:12:59 AM »

Easy solution: Setup your banner ads to where when they are blocked the user is presented with an image that pleads with them to unblock the ad and click it. In many cases, and I imagine moreso with the HAM community this will be a HUGE plus to revenue generation.

I had no idea this website had banner ads. Turning off my ad blocker now.

Jordan
KG7DBM
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 05:44:51 AM »

The use of pop-ups and banner ads seem to have dropped off lately on the web, probably since they ARE being blocked--and the ad sponsors know it.  I use Firefox combined with ghostify, and I don't have many problems at all--except for my hometown newspaper site.  That site is the ONLY one that has put the ghostify 'blocked' indicator up into the thirties!  This site usually indicates only 2.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »

I'm hoping that eHam doesn't take the lead from CNN, ESPN and my local OTA stations and start constantly scrolling Contest Scores across the bottom of these pages.  If that happened, you probably would not be able to read this post until it worked its way up the screen!   Roll Eyes

Terry WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: