Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passed the Extra Exam Today!  (Read 7388 times)
W1AJO

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »

I'm on my annual Army reserve training in Florida for a month so I decided to study for the Extra exam at night rather than watch TV.  I took it last Thursday night in Tampa and just missed passing.  Today, I took it again in Brandon passed it by a good margin!

I passed my Tech, Morse, and General all on the same day back in 2002.  I took the Extra as well but did not pass it.   So I guess the third time's the charm! 

I sould have done it sooner!  Feels so good to finally get it done.  If you are a General, get cracking and upgrade!

I still have two weeks to go before I return home to Georgia and I plan on getting my code speed up to 15 WPM.  No TV!
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »

I'm on my annual Army reserve training in Florida for a month so I decided to study for the Extra exam at night rather than watch TV.  I took it last Thursday night in Tampa and just missed passing.  Today, I took it again in Brandon passed it by a good margin!

I passed my Tech, Morse, and General all on the same day back in 2002.  I took the Extra as well but did not pass it.   So I guess the third time's the charm! 

I sould have done it sooner!  Feels so good to finally get it done.  If you are a General, get cracking and upgrade!

I still have two weeks to go before I return home to Georgia and I plan on getting my code speed up to 15 WPM.  No TV!

Hey congratulations....

For me there was no better feeling than having the VE say "You're an Extra".

I celebrate for you and with you!!
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »

Two thoughts:

Why shoot for 15wpm?  Most QSOs are at 18-22 wpm.

Don't just study from code practice.  Get on the air - the fun way to upgrade your cw skills.

Neil N3DF
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:50:11 AM »

Two thoughts:

Why shoot for 15wpm?  Most QSOs are at 18-22 wpm.

Don't just study from code practice.  Get on the air - the fun way to upgrade your cw skills.

15 wpm are the fastest mp3 files I have on my iPod.  I would love to get on the air here at MacDill AFB but I do not have an HF radio with me. Sad

Will have to wait until I'm home on the 15th.
W4MMR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »

Great job and a good idea when on AT! Good luck with the code and see ya on the bands.  I wish I was that creative when I was in the AR.  Would have been a great time to study when away from the kids.

Mark
W4MMR
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 02:15:33 PM »

Congrats to you! I passed my Extra exam last Saturday, in front of 11 VE's no less! Hardest test I have ever taken. Now to get one of those 2x2 call signs!
KA8SEP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »

First off congratulations. I just passed my extra last month. I'm proud of doing it.

I cant wait to get back onto the air. Its nice weather so I should get the OCF dipole up. Smiley
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »

Thanks all!

K0BAM & KA8SEP - congrats to you as well!!! Smiley  I know it's a very hard test and oh boy, does it feel good to get 'r done!

I know you are as happy & proud as I am.

KV4PL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 06:00:27 PM »

I took my tech in May, the general in June, and took the extra tonight. I'm very happy. The tech and general were easy but this one was a chalange.
KK4SBK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »

This has been a rush job for me - passed Tech and General in one setting  last month - got first call sign 6-20 - the VE asked if I wanted to take the Extra then, really had not thought about it. Last Wed night took the extra and am now KV4PO - been a whirlwind. I do have one thought though - getting to this point puts me in the awkward position of having the "rights" but not the experience - I have worked in electronics most of my adult life - always wanted to do Ham Radio but never did - now the knowledge most pickup in the "doing" of being a Tech and progressing in steps over time is missing. There is something to be said about taking it slow - the theory is one thing, experience whole different ball of wax. I am now on a much more difficult and steeper learning curve.

So --- the point of all of this is - should we meet on the air, please be patient - the 2X2 indicates I should know what I am doing, I don't - but learning ;-)
 I also wish to congratulate all of you - Well done!!
 KV4PO

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:42:39 PM by KK4SBK » Logged
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »

So --- the point of all of this is - should we meet on the air, please be patient - the 2X2 indicates I should know what I am doing, I don't - but learning ;-)

Most hams will be patient and helpful, but a few will not.  You have two obligations in this regard: (1) When you come across hams who give you a hard time for not knowing something, or for not having taken a "real" test in an FCC office, or for not having the experience they think is necessary to hold a 2-by-2 call, or for not meeting some other goofy criterion they've cooked up in their heads, do not let them discourage you from enjoying the hobby, and (2) When you do get more experience, don't turn into one of them.
KV4PL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 04:42:27 AM »

This has been a rush job for me - passed Tech and General in one setting  last month - got first call sign 6-20 - the VE asked if I wanted to take the Extra then, really had not thought about it. Last Wed night took the extra and am now KV4PO - been a whirlwind. I do have one thought though - getting to this point puts me in the awkward position of having the "rights" but not the experience - I have worked in electronics most of my adult life - always wanted to do Ham Radio but never did - now the knowledge most pickup in the "doing" of being a Tech and progressing in steps over time is missing. There is something to be said about taking it slow - the theory is one thing, experience whole different ball of wax. I am now on a much more difficult and steeper learning curve.

I also wish to congratulate all of you - Well done!!
 KV4PO

I'm in the same boat as you. I took the Tech test in May because I'm flying FPV RC airplanes and the video transmitters required a ham license to be legal. I was very active in CB in the late 60's and early 70's so I decided to get a HF vhf/uhf Icom IC-706 since I had my Ham license. The Icom has HF so of course I needed to get my general which I took in June, and figured I might as well get the Extra which I passed this month. I do a lot more listening at this point as I don't want to sound like a nube, but I'm in no rush I've made several contacts all over the world so far. It's all fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: