Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations for "grip" treatments applied to fabric drive belts?  (Read 2250 times)
W7GIF

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:04:57 AM »

Does anyone have a tried and true treatment for fabric dial-drive belts. My PRO-310 uses circular cross-section textile/fabric loop belts for both the main tuning and bandspread dial drives, with rubber coated drive pulley grooves. The rubber coating has dried, cracked apart, and separated from the pulley grooves. I was able to access the main tuning drive pulley, and install two Nitrile o-rings in the bottom of the groove, and that remedy works well to provide a non-slip interface between the pulley and belt. But, the banspread drive pulley is inaccessible (for the purposes of installing the o-rings) without extensive dismantling of the chassis and entire tuning mechanism. I can get to the pulley groove to clean the dried rubber remnants from the groove, but that's about it. If the fabric belt could be coated with a uniform coating of high-life, high-grip rubber-like material, that would solve the problem. But, I'm unaware of any such process that's available. Has anyone used a resin material to achieve grip of fabric belts? I sure don't want to impair the material integrity of the long-extinct fabric belt.

I considered replacing the original fabric belt with a rubber belt, but as well as having a short life, a rubber belt would likely tend to stretch under tuning operation load (which is substantial), resulting in "sloppy" tuning control or a mechanical "hysteresis" effect.

Recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:43:50 AM by W7GIF » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »

PRB is my starting point goto for all things belt in electronics, they include fabric belts in their line and may still sell the fabric belt paint stuff as well.  A catalog is the starting point.

http://www.russellind.com/prbline/prblinecom_.htm

KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »

Try some "Goop" glue.  This stuff is like a thick cross between silicon and rubber cement.  Dries quick.  Peels weel, sticks like crazy, but removes clean.  Smear some on those pulleys, let dry recable and I bet you have never felt such precision.

I used the stuff on my SB-101 pulleys and the 'O'-rings.  Works great there too!

HTH - Jim
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »

How about this:
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaners/specialty-cleaners/rubber-renue-408a/

May work, may not but what you got to loose?

Rick  wn2c
W7GIF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:48:22 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I managed to talk myself into installing the 1-3/8" Nitrile o-rings on the bandspread drive pulley by c a r e f u l l y  s t r e t c h i n g  them over the 2-1/2" dia pulley flywheel. The pulley is hidden by a bunch of other stuff, so can't really inspect the installed o-rings to see whether or not I damaged them during installation over the flywheel. I guess time will tell. But, right now, both of the dial drives are operating smoothly, with no skipping or jumping with both drive pulleys fitted with two (ea) 1/16"x1-3/8" o-rings.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:58:56 AM »

How about this:
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaners/specialty-cleaners/rubber-renue-408a/

May work, may not but what you got to loose?

Rick  wn2c

NOT a good idea to apply to fabric belts, it will only saturate the belt and make it too long to work anymore. 

Ask me how I know that...   heh

That is good goo when the problem is a rubber capstan drive where the capstan rubber may no longer be available and the old one has dried out, though.  It should NEVER be used on any type of belt, though, as the belt will absorb the oils and become loooonger and loose. 

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »

I would soak out the fabric belt in solvent.  iso alcohol is pretty mild and not likely to hurt the belt coating.  xylene would clean it a lot better, but some OEM coatings might deteriorate in it.

the rubber stuff, I would rub with alcohol and then xylene (goo gone.)  I used to use Fedron platen cleaner, which is a noxious witches' brew of every liver-eating solvent from the offset printing industry, typewriter repairmen used to soak out machines in it.  but don't have a source for it anymore, and I'm not sure I want to use it any more.  who needs street drugs when you can clean an old tape deck with that stuff?

just finishing up an old hamfest Ampex 600-1 tape deck, and the hard slippery snot came right off the drive pucks without damage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: