Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood SM 220 ???  (Read 3691 times)
KA3UAZ

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »

For many years I have operated a S 820 station complete with an SM 220. After a long storage and a long absence from ham radio, I pulled everything out of storage and put all back into operation again. I brought everything up to "snuff" slowly again I thought including the SM 220. The SM 220 was put back into operation after a bit of "warming up" slowly and seemed to be working well. After putting the SM 220 into line I got some on air RF reports and traced this to the SM 220. I grounded the SM and after that the SM has failed to operate.  Any help would be appriciated. Thanks, Mike....
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:44:43 AM »

'failed to operate" after grounding -- What does that mean exactly? 

Is the 220 now DOA as in no power now?  If grounding the chassis stopped it from actually coming ON, suspect a blown fuse due to a hot chassis that you grounded. 

If, on the other hand, the unit still powers up but fails to operate, that could be indicative of an internal circuit fault possibly. 

**After being in storage for any significant length of time, it is a very good idea to get a spray can of Deoxit and go over every single switch and control in all units, to clean and relube the switch contacts, which can dry out and wreak all sorts of havoc.  Spray every control BUT the any main AC Power Switches, leave them dry as the lubricant can carbonize on the switch contacts and often destroy the power switch. ** 

Cleanliness is next to Godliness, and in the case of stored or older ham radio equipments, is always the first step - and if followed, can also be the ONLY step needed to perform in order to return the equipment to good operation, often restoring calibration and alignment as well. 

KA3UAZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I should have been a bit clearer. Powers up but now no display. Display worked great. After grounding, nothing on the screen. Again, thanks, Mike....
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »

Have you disconnected that ground to see if the screen comes back? 
KA3UAZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:16:08 PM »

Have you disconnected that ground to see if the screen comes back? 
No, but good idea. I think that is my next step. Thanks, Mike....
KA3UAZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:57:49 AM »

Well, I've tried just about everything I can think of but still no soap. I get a dim, small image on the screen but nothing else. It seems like a while back I read something about a problem that may develop bringing these SM's out of storage.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »

OK, first you had nothing on the screen and now you have a dim display.  I have to ask the obvious dumb question - have you turned up the intensity?  Also, how do you have it hooked up to the radio?
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 09:51:51 AM »

Is there a schematic available for the SM-220? You could do a trace or the signal and the power voltage to help ID whether the CRT is getting sufficient power or signal to register.

Frank
K4FMH
KA3UAZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:02:31 AM »

KB1TOM, yep the intensity is turned up. Now what K4FMH makes sense. This unit has been in storage for quite a few years. I think a good cleaning of all the contacts and making sure all the boards have good contact might be a starting point. Thanks all, Mike....
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »

KB1TOM, yep the intensity is turned up. Now what K4FMH makes sense. This unit has been in storage for quite a few years. I think a good cleaning of all the contacts and making sure all the boards have good contact might be a starting point. Thanks all, Mike....

If you need a schematic, let me know!  I have a PDF of the owner's manual if you need it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: