Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond Antenna NR770HAB Direct Connect to Kenwood TM-D710  (Read 10666 times)
W7PEA

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:35:05 PM »

Is there any problem with connecting an antenna directly to the body of a mobile rig?

-w7pea
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 04:54:01 AM »

Yes, there may be.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »

It may put undue stress on the antenna connector. The ultimate failure would be the part of the PCB that the N-Type socket is soldered to snaps off the board.

If you were careful it'd probably be OK but having a NR770 myself I know there's very little flex in the bottom half of the antenna and all it would need is to be dropped or get a good knock.

Looking at my D710 I think I'd maybe cobble together a bracket to hold the antenna and use a short patch lead. You could make a plate that the body of the radio bolts to that has a bit sticking out at right angles to mount the antenna on.
W7PEA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »

That's a great idea.. I think ultimately, i'm going to box up these items into a form with external jacks so I can operate in the Condo or put it in the car, but for now this is a start.

Thanks a lot,
W7PEA
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:27:29 AM »

You could always get the mag mount base for the antenna, and mount it to a cookie sheet (or some other sheet of metal).  When you go mobile, you can mount the same mag mount on your car.

As previous poster stated, direct mounting the antenna to the rig would probably end up destroying the antenna connector.

N8YQX
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 11:13:48 AM »

I always like a short section of some kind of flexable coax between a radio and an antenna. like a section of rg 58 or better yet a foot of rg8x.  this takes tension off both radio connector and antenna connector.  also look at an mfj 310, it rolls up in the car window and puts your rubber duck up there over the top of the car, with a 7 foot flex cord,  great for rentals and such and you could build a dummy thing for in the house.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:05:54 AM »

When you say 'connecting an antenna directly to the body of a mobile rig,' I get a picture of using a magmount on the top oif the rig.  Is that what you're saying?  Or are you referring to the antennas that are made with the PL-259 right at the antenna end?

In the case of the magmount, excess RF energy may play havoc with the innards of the rig and or the power supply.  In the case of the antenna on the 259, any sudden hitting of the antenna may break the antenna or the SO239 on the rig.

In any case, the advice given (a cookie sheet and a magmount--somewhat away from the rig and power supply) is the best advice to take.  As was stated, the antenna and rig could be used in your vehicle too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: