Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Closing out an SK logbook  (Read 1314 times)
W4PBJ

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:12:02 AM »

My Father In Law was an extra who passed away a few years ago after suffering a stroke back on '08. I was sitting in his shack a couple of weeks ago "twiddling" the knobs at his station (we four other hams in the family have decided to leave it operational and maintain it), but as I thumbed through his last logbook I realized that many of his last contacts probably weren't QSL'd.

What would you think would be appropriate?  Sending QSLs to those we are pretty sure didn't get one?  Just leaving it alone?  I've even considered uploading his last couple of years to HRDlog under his call (hasn't been taken yet).

Comments welcomed... what would you want done with yours?

Thanks,
 Pat - w4pbj
W4PAH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »

If you have time and energy, I would think that uploading to LoTW would be a wonderful service (if he had a LoTW account before he died). Not sure a LoTW account can be obtained for an SK, though...

If you have time, energy, and money to burn, then you could QSL with paper to the domestic contacts and perhaps send the DX QSLs to the ARRL outgoing bureau (if he was a member of ARRL, that is).

You may just take a look at his log and see what calls are in there. It could be the case that he was keeping a log of all of his contacts, but perhaps most of them are from regular net participation or chats with friends. Maybe these don't even require QSLing at all.

Good luck!

-john W4PAH
Madison, WI
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »

My opinion....... best to just forget it.  The only exception I can think of to this opinion is if he was a rare DX station and someone really might want his card.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:02:29 AM »

My opinion....... best to just forget it.  The only exception I can think of to this opinion is if he was a rare DX station and someone really might want his card.

I am a bit torn on this but I have to side with letting it lay. I think it the more respectful thing to do.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K2DFC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:56:51 AM »

If you have four members of the family who are hams and your going to keep the station operational why not make it a club station with his call sign as the club call. You can then continue the logs and fill any qsl requests. It would be a great honor to his memory.

Fred K2DFC
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »

My Father In Law was an extra who passed away a few years ago after suffering a stroke back on '08. I was sitting in his shack a couple of weeks ago "twiddling" the knobs at his station (we four other hams in the family have decided to leave it operational and maintain it), but as I thumbed through his last logbook I realized that many of his last contacts probably weren't QSL'd.

What would you think would be appropriate?  Sending QSLs to those we are pretty sure didn't get one?  Just leaving it alone?  I've even considered uploading his last couple of years to HRDlog under his call (hasn't been taken yet).

Comments welcomed... what would you want done with yours?

Thanks,
 Pat - w4pbj

The most important question.  What would HE want you to do?  Was he a regular QSLer?  If so, then QSL.  If he was pretty casual about QSLing, then don't.  If he only replied to incoming QSLs, then wait for them and reply.

Honor your loved one by carrying out what you know their desires would be.

- k
W4PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »

Thanks folks,

Vince, N2VJ, wasn't a rare station, but he was a great guy to talk to on the air (and in person). He rarely just gave a signal report and moved on, preferring to actually "talk" to the other party.  The club station idea is interesting and I'll mention it to the rest of the family.

I think I'll look through his logs and if it looks like he made new contacts in his last few months on air, without QSLing, we may try to have a memorial QSL card done to remember him.  He was an active ARES member for years, EC for our county, and a VE who tested over 100 new hams and upgraded many more.

Thanks for your considerations,
 Pat - w4pbj
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »

The thy sent a QSL card, return one. If not, do not worry about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: