The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TEN-TEC  (Read 8138 times)
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »

One other note for Mr. Henry to convey to the new owner....  please, please, improve the documentation!  It is impossible to find pictorial drawings for various board revisions, especially the later Omni VI+ radios that have surface mount parts on several boards!  That is even a bigger problem with the Orion series... requiring board level repairs often escalated the repair to more than what the radio was worth.  Radios do become obsolete, as do many specialized IC devices or other semiconductors.

Pete
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »

At the very least, add a few dollars to the price of the radio and gave a commercial shop produce a nice spiral bound manual on good paper like Elecraft does.  I always appreciated the quality of TT radios but the manual looked like it was made at the local high school.
Art
KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »

I own two TT units. One a 30yr old Omni D, the other an Eagle. I purchased both units used, one locally the other from Ebay.
These radios are terrific! I have nothing bad to say about either. But what put TT ahead of the 'big 3' was the support/repair people. The Omni started having issues shortly after purchase. I was able to call TT and actually speak with a tech. This guy stayed on the phone with me telling me which boards to unplug, what to tighten, and what to jiggle. He finally narrowed the issue down to two components. Not being sure which one was bad he shipped me both.  He told me to call him when the parts arrived. Again, he spent time with me on the phone walking me through installing the part and testing the unit. Now, keep in mind this was a 30yr old Omni !. What surprised me was that they still had the parts and took the time helping me over the phone. Try calling Yaesu and get help over the phone fixing one of their 30 yr old radios, and good luck finding parts. This service was what put TT ahead of the 'big 3'. I would never hesitate buying a used TT unit when I knew this kind of help was a phone call away. But now I think that this kind of support was one of the things that hurt them in the pocket book?
I hope they do rebound, and they keep that great support service !  I can't remember the guys name who helped me. He was the service manager if I remember correctly. 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 02:30:30 PM »

I own two TT units. One a 30yr old Omni D, the other an Eagle. I purchased both units used, one locally the other from Ebay.
These radios are terrific! I have nothing bad to say about either. But what put TT ahead of the 'big 3' was the support/repair people.

That was "then," and maybe not "now."

But IMO one thing both your rigs don't have that the "big 3" JA rigs all have is MENUS.

For all its sophistication, and the Eagle's receiver ranks up there with the best receivers tested by Sherwood, the little rig has no menu.  It doesn't need any.  No reason to read the manual, unless you like to read. 

When I picked up my Eagle two years ago (it was new) I sat the rig down, connected it to power supply, antenna and key paddle, and used it right out of the box without ever opening the manual.  Two years later I think I really still haven't read it, and I'm a voracious reader.  Just didn't need to; without menus the rig is very easy to use.

Of course, the Jupiter, Orion and OMNI-VII do have menus, but they are implemented in a much nicer way than any of the JA rigs: One big screen displaying everything you need to know at a glance, with every menu option or feature displayed in plain English and not "codes" or alphanumerics or abbreviations.  Again, with those rigs I'd never look at the manual -- the rig's front panel and LCD screen tell me everything that's going on, and everything that can be adjusted.

Brilliant!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: