Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Under Counter Lighting RFI  (Read 27864 times)
KF7DS

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:50:14 AM »

All:

We have Halogen under counter lighting in our kitchen and the ballasts for these lights emits horrible RFI - as such, when operating, I have to make sure those in the kitchen keep them off Shocked

The lights have a yellow cast and I want to find some that are similar that do not have this RFI issue - looking for recommendations.

Thanks,
Don Singer KF7DS
Portland, OR
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »

I ran into this when I remodeled the kitchen at my last house.  The under cabinet lighting was halogen and came with these gawdawful AC converters that trashed HF.

When I remodeled the current house I was a bit more selective and bought xenon lights.  They run off of 120VAC directly, so have no RFI issues at all.

LED is all the rage now and I think would make for excellent under cabinet lighting.  The only issue is again what you'd use to power them.  Odds are the OEM supplies will be converters so buyer beware.  Or roll your own supplies.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion and will check it out

Don KF7DS
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:53:25 AM »

Depending on the supply voltage, 'rolling your own' converters would be the easiest way to solve the problem.  If those lights are 12 volt and you have a spare power supply in your shack that can take the load....
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »

Been through this exact exercise lately with a remodel here.  If you google the subject there are some informative previous threads on this site and contesting.com.  I'm putting in Kichler Xenon fixtures with T5 bulbs.  The Kichler unit that the contractor brought over was quiet.  Some of the other lv halogens wiped out the entire spectrum.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 06:43:30 AM »

Been through this exact exercise lately with a remodel here.  If you google the subject there are some informative previous threads on this site and contesting.com.  I'm putting in Kichler Xenon fixtures with T5 bulbs.  The Kichler unit that the contractor brought over was quiet.  Some of the other lv halogens wiped out the entire spectrum.

Can't roll my own but the xenon interest me. What color cast is the light??

Don
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »

They look fairly "warm white" to me.  I used the ~3" diameter "pucks" from Lowes.  Buy a few and try them out, they're not that expensive.  I used them for both in- and under-cabinet lights and had anticipated putting them on a dimmer but upon completion of the project they're "just right" at 120VAC.  They do get pretty hot though so surface mount or recessed with plenty of clearance is mandatory.  That's one thing you don't have to worry about with LED's.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:22:12 AM »

Yes I'd say warm white.  The actual units are going in the next week or so, so I'll post back with the actual results.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 06:29:21 AM »

Yes I'd say warm white.  The actual units are going in the next week or so, so I'll post back with the actual results.

Great...would appreciate the follow up

Don KF7DS
VE3EDY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 05:42:56 PM »

See the article on page 59 of the 2013 March issue of QST on this problem.

Larry,VE3EDY
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »

I also have kitchen above-counter halogen lamps.  One set is powered by an AC-DC converter made in the US.  The second set is powered by an AC-DC converter made in Canada.   When the Canadian supply is turned on I get strong hash on most bands.  The American supply produces no interference whatsoever when it is turned on.  So, the problem is in the converter....install a better supply or put ferrite beads on the leads and your problem should go away.  I corresponded with the Canadian ham who wrote the article in QST...he agreed with me.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 08:18:22 AM »

Very sorry for the delayed response but finally got around to installing the actual lighting units.

DO NOT USE KICHLER Low Voltage HALOGENS IN YOUR QTH!!

The new production units that I received created S9 plus rfi across the entire MW/HF spectrum.  Kichler customer service was rude, oblivious, and totally unconcerned about the situation.  Oh well...

DO NOT CONSIDER KICHLER Low Voltage HALOGEN LIGHTING.

I hope this information might save somebody else some aggravation.  Of course YMMV...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 05:18:48 AM »

Unconcerned, huh?  Why don't you send your findings in to the FCC?  Sure, it may not do much, but if enough people complained, Kichler probably would change its tune pretty fast.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 08:07:37 AM »

Unconcerned, huh?  Why don't you send your findings in to the FCC?  Sure, it may not do much, but if enough people complained, Kichler probably would change its tune pretty fast.

I filed an online FCC complaint the same day.  I think that it was FCC Form 2000F.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »

And I just got back a form letter from the FCC saying that my complaint was closed and that no rule violation was found.   Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: