Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XLR Switch  (Read 2602 times)
W1WN

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:29:20 AM »

I have one microphone that I use for 2 radios.  Currently I connect/disconnect the cable for the radio I want to talk on to the XLR microphone.  I am looking for an XLR Switch, A/B Switch, that I could plug the one microphone in (XLR female) that has 2 XLR male outputs that the radio cables could be connected to, and then switch between them.  Could not find online.  Does anyone have a brand they know of.

Thanks,
Dave, w1wn
dxdogg@verizon.net
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:11:44 PM »

That's likely going to be something you'll need to construct yourself.

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Audio-Switchers/Kramer/VS-4X.xhtml will do what you want, but is a little expensive for a simple switch.

You could build what you need with Radio Shack parts for about $40. Just use a DPDT switch (tie all the pin 1s together and connect pins 2 and 3 to the DPDT switch, sending the common to your output. use 3 XLR panel mount connectors, or just cut up some audio cables. Use a metal enclosure box for shielding.
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »

I might be tempted to use an extra pole and switch the "common" or "ground" as well, to eliminate the possibility of a ground loop.
AC2KV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »

This one is less pricey:

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Audio-Switchers/Sescom/SES-XLR-AB.xhtml

Although it would be simple enough to build. You might also consider just splitting the mic feed to both rigs. You wouldn't have to bother switching anything then.
NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:11:19 AM »

Since you already in the world of xlr mics have you considered using a small mix board to manage this function ?  The input of your mic into a channel and then either the pan channel strip function or a  left right buss assignment to the radios would take care of this need.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »

Since you already in the world of xlr mics have you considered using a small mix board to manage this function ?  The input of your mic into a channel and then either the pan channel strip function or a  left right buss assignment to the radios would take care of this need.

This is the better way to do it. 

The reason that you won't likely find any ready made XLR mic switches is that the switching on any hot lines, such as used for PA or Recording, etc. would result in a huge POP each time the switch is thrown. 

The mixer, on the other hand, whether using PAN or any other sort of multiple output scheme for the single input, uses FADERS, allowing not only for adjustment of Gain, but also preventing the transient switching noise POP. 

And today, the small mini mixers intended for home recording, etc. are very low priced. 

You will also typically get some EQ knobs to play with as well as the Gain Staging. 

W1WN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 04:20:15 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  I would not be doing any "hot" switching at least as I understand it.  Would use much like an A/B antenna switch.  I would have both radios on receive and when I wanted to talk on the other, I would simply move the switch.  Not sure if I misunderstood what you meant.  I would prefer something simple, instead of a mixer.

Dave, w1wn
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »

I would prefer something simple, instead of a mixer.

Dave, w1wn

Parallel both connections to Mic XLR as a "Y", use separate PTT buttons. 

No need to remember to switch anything, just which PTT to use.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »

sounds like a way to build your own ground loop.  if you have a 3-winding hybrid transformer, hook it up the obvious way.  if you're anywhere close to AC5UP's trash, get over there quick before the ten cases of them he just tossed out of his garage get picked up Wink
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »

My advice would be to "keep it simple"". Mount a DPDT switch in a box along with XLR connectors and wire it to switch the two mike "hot" leads between the radios. You should be able to keep the grounds common if the radios are located close by (same desk).
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »

IF AC Ground Loop rears its ugly head (which would be a hashy buzz on your audio) - just clip one of the two grounds of the XLR connect inside your Y adaptor. 

The AC Chassis Grounds will then furnish that connection. 
W1WN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 03:31:21 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  I built one with 2 females, 1 male XLR and a DTDP switch.  Easy to do, I just wanted a nice looking case to go in the shack.  I did not like the Y cable idea, but know it would work.  I just wanted to have the unused rig disconnected from the microphone when I was keying up the other.  Works fine.  Dave, w1wn
W1WN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 03:33:03 AM »

Not that anyone cares, but it was 2 male/1 female XLR.  Dave, w1wn
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 07:56:26 AM »

Not that anyone cares, but it was 2 male/1 female XLR.  Dave, w1wn

That is pretty much standard convention for low level audio connects, male for outputs, female for inputs.  

HAVE FUN

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: