Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-22A Crystals?? Any ideas?  (Read 6733 times)
KB2HSH

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »

Hey guys.  I recently picked up a clean IC-22A for $10, with the intention of using it for simplex, one of the local machines that doesn't have PL tones, and APRS.  Does ANYONE know of a decent source for HC-25/u crystals?  (I realize that the crystals will be more than what the radio is worth...I'm a vintage Icom fanatic, so the price means little to me)

Thanks!

John KB2HSH
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:27:40 AM »

When I work convert GE Mastr II repeaters to ham repeaters, I use International Crystal.  They're the best out there.  About $20 each plus shipping.
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:03:05 AM »

When I work convert GE Mastr II repeaters to ham repeaters, I use International Crystal.  They're the best out there.  About $20 each plus shipping.

$20?!

That's AWESOME!  Back when I had my HW-30 (in the pre-APRS days), I had an FT-243 crystal cut for 144.40 and it was double that!

Thank you for your insight.  I will be calling on Monday to have some new rocks cut!

John KB2HSH
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:33:20 AM »

What frequencies do you need John? Some where here I have piles of spare crystals for my IC-21A and I believe the freq scheme is identical.
BTW, I think the 21A is the coolest FM rig ever made- S meter, VSWR meter and power meter in one meter and a separate meter for deviation. Also has front panel mic gain and RIT. With the matching digital VFO, they are an impressive pair.

Dale W4OP
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:52:12 AM »

$20?!

*Each* - TX and RX.  So your $10 22A is now a $50, CSQ only, ~40 year old single channel radio.

You'd be money ahead to find an old synthesized rig like a 25A for the same money (or less) and get any frequency you need.

I recall it wasn't a good packet radio, due to the slow TX-RX turnaround time.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
BARRYCHECK6

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »

Hey guys.  I recently picked up a clean IC-22A for $10, with the intention of using it for simplex, one of the local machines that doesn't have PL tones, and APRS.  Does ANYONE know of a decent source for HC-25/u crystals?  (I realize that the crystals will be more than what the radio is worth...I'm a vintage Icom fanatic, so the price means little to me)

Thanks!

John KB2HSH

John:

What frequencies are you looking for?  I just happen to have an IC-22A w/some xtals.

Barry
KB0XR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:55:04 AM »

I use the  Icom 22U for the same activities as you plan.  Push button frequency changes and a nice tight front end.  Only 10 watts but it gets the job done.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 06:35:52 PM »

That's AWESOME!  Back when I had my HW-30 (in the pre-APRS days), I had an FT-243 crystal cut for 144.40 and it was double that!

Maybe I can find a market for the hundred or so of those FT-243's I have sitting under the couch in a little box.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: