About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WIN 8  (Read 8719 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »

echo link comes up as good as usual as it did on dial up. but with version g4 hot spot it says I need to put numbers in. like 5200 5100 . I don't know where to go put these numbers in at. im using windows 8 computer
any one know what to do  or if you using echo link on g4hotspot how did you get it set up on w8
thanks
earlscrubbs@msn.com

This is likely a windows firewall issue. Windows has over 10,000 software "ports" and many are blocked by default by firewall. Try disabling firewall temporarily to confirm.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 03:43:51 AM »

".....Win 8 will take off to the surprise of many."

Two words...Doubt it.

Well, we'll see.  I just got the notice that win 8.1 will have its ISO released soon, and it's brought back some of the features that were lost when it was introduced--like the start button.  I intend to download it and try it, but if it's anything like the win 8 beta was, I don't see that it's going to go too far.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 05:08:05 AM »

Win 7 works fine for me.  I hate it when Microsoft forces me to learn new ways to access the typical things I do.  Yes, I can relearn, but why bother.  More important things in life.  Any new operating system should have configurations that emulate as much as possible the prior way.   I've heard many complaints about Win8 in that regard.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 07:19:29 AM »

Win 7 works fine for me.  I hate it when Microsoft forces me to learn new ways to access the typical things I do.  Yes, I can relearn, but why bother.  More important things in life.  Any new operating system should have configurations that emulate as much as possible the prior way.   I've heard many complaints about Win8 in that regard.

Technology is changing and so is how we interact with it. If you want to force yourself to not evolve with it and stay in past it is your choice but not mine.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WB4TGT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »

firewalls are all off. my friends have echo link and win 7 and on verziong4. theirs dont work either
 can bring up screen and program but cant connect  with anyone or test sight either

looking for some one with win 7 or win 8 with working echolink with g4hotspot
  win 7 on my lap top works in camp grounds but not at home
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 01:59:47 PM »

Change is not always synonymous with progress.  MS Vista leaps to mind.  And no, my experience with that disaster was not with a Dell.  In early 1995, I wrote a program which ran under Win 3.11 and controlled a 30 inch equatorial mounted Newtonian telescope. Pointing, tracking, planets, NGC catalog, etc. A fairly complex piece of software for the day.  It was in use for sixteen (16) years! before it was replace with a new drive system/software package.  Why wasn't it "upgraded" to run on Win 95, Win 98, Win 2000, ad nauseam,  ad infinitum...  Because it was a tool that was continuing to do its job well.  The by now out of production motor controllers had failed and a whole new system was needed.  That's all a computer is, a tool.  If it is still doing the job you want it to do, there is no pressing need to "upgrade" just because the MS and Apple people want to sell more stuff.  I "upgrade" when my hardware/software is not able to perform a task that I want it to perform.

73 de WB0KSL
John
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »

I never had a problem with Vista but then never tried to use it with 512 or 1024k or wrong hardware. Always worked flawlessly for me on several machines.  Win 7 is not much of a upgrade over Vista but 8 changes how you interact with it and share data too and like way Metro icons are live too. Also if you have a Win8 laptop and a phone or Tablet too (Win8 or RT) it will transparently share data and email account(s) and other setting as well as favorites too via cloud. Works pretty slick. Cannot wait for Win9 to see what more it brings.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 06:43:07 AM »

firewalls are all off. my friends have echo link and win 7 and on verziong4. theirs dont work either
 can bring up screen and program but cant connect  with anyone or test sight either...

Verizon always had a problem with winlink, you have to specifically program the modem/router to allow free communication through a specific port on the router.  Google it and you'll bring up info on how to make it work.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »

Cannot wait for Win9 to see what more it brings.
Win 95 you say?

Mike
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »

Cannot wait for Win9 to see what more it brings.
Win 95 you say?

Mike

They more I use Win 8 on a PC and a Tablet the more I like it. Since 8 is kinda a transition OS for MS i am curious to see what 9 brings to table.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 08:12:05 AM »

The way things are going, you may never see a win 9 due to cloud computing and all that.  Microsoft may concentrate on a system similar to the i-phone and android systems now out.  The latest rumors are that personal computers are going the way of the dinosaurs--although there are still those who will use them.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »

The way things are going, you may never see a win 9 due to cloud computing and all that.  Microsoft may concentrate on a system similar to the i-phone and android systems now out.  The latest rumors are that personal computers are going the way of the dinosaurs--although there are still those who will use them.

Win 8 works with a cloud of its own but you will still need a software interface for it to make it most transparent. I personally find IOS primitive and limited and android better though not much better. IOS basic concept basic was designed over 5 years ago and is primitive by todays standards. Apple got foot hold they did with their primitive and marginal interface because they had no real competition in past. That has changed. I can do things with even a Win RT tablet not possible on a IPad and need no silly button to switch around or kill apps either. Apple took there one button mouse mentality to IPad.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: