Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital signal reports  (Read 3916 times)
VK2FAK

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2013, 10:13:01 PM »

Hi all..

Digital modes have been around a while now but it still seems to be unclear what is the right way to send a report...

is the RST still appropriate for digital or is a db figure, taken of the the software the way to go...The RST is still given...by some... ?

I personally think you should look at the received db on the software while the other station is transmitting and give that figure... similar to WSPR, JT65, JT9 etc...it does jump around but a mid range figure should be good...

Some modes don't have a db reading, mainly the PSK, HELL, .......so back to all ways for them...

John

John
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:50:02 AM »

A lot of digital hams use the RSQ system instead of RST, as the "Tone" component doesn't really apply to digital modes. For more info about RSQ, check out http://www.rsq-info.net/.

A lot of software can determine the s/n ratio for you and you can report that as well...usually it is pretty easy to setup a macro to do that for you. I know that Fldigi does that and it makes it real easy to report both the RSQ and the s/n ratio.  Finally, there is IMD as well, which can usually be computed by the software as well. 

I report using the RSQ system (I identify my signal report as RSQ ###) and s/n ratio.  I don't report IMD as its usefulness is fairly limited.

Just my two-cents worth.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:58:26 AM »

At the end of the day, all the other operator wants to know is whether or not you heard them so I just give everybody a 599. I don't even say, "Your RST is 599" or "Your RSQ is 599". I simply say, "Your report is 599".

As far as the IMD and S/N numbers, I think very few digital mode users even know what their significance is or how to interpret them. One day I was "in one of those moods" when someone sent me the macro that included the IMD and S/N numbers. So I asked him what those numbers meant and if they were good numbers or bad numbers and what could I do to make them better. He said that he wasn't really sure but since he saw a lot of people reporting those numbers, he thought he would add it to his report as well. At least he was honest!

Normally when I do this, the next thing I see is the "73" macro.

If someone asks you for their IMD and S/N numbers, then by all means report it, but other than that, you are just wasting bandwidth.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 05:09:18 AM »

Note that the IMD reading is only accurate if the PSK31 signal is idling and the strength is well above the noise level.
VK2FAK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »

Hi all...

Well thanks Dave, I knew nothing about that so called RSQ..will have a read...but I wonder how many other know about it also..?

John
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 02:29:22 AM »

Note that the IMD reading is only accurate if the PSK31 signal is idling and the strength is well above the noise level.

Exactly, which is why I don't bother with reporting IMD in most cases.  S/N ratio is a more useful figure, but even that doesn't necessarily tell the SENDER that much information, but rather is indicative of the combination of "ingredients" that make up the signal path as observed from the receiver's viewpoint; from local noise to atmospheric noise to ionospheric conditions to band selection to band occupancy to bandwidth selection to transmit power to transmit antenna to receive antenna to sound card quality to ........     

As someone pointed out, in the end it doesn't really matter whether you use RST or RSQ or something else, as many ops are just looking for that 599 and don't care about anything else other than making the contact.  It is simply a matter of personal choice on your part and so do what you feel comfortable with.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: