Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SAMS Photofact contents  (Read 1804 times)
KD2E

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:24:17 AM »

Simple question.....I am about to pay for a SAMS photofact download for an old transistor radio. True, the download is probably more than the radio is worth, but I don't mind paying the cash.
BUT.....I need to know how to extricate the circuit board....not just a schematic.
Does anyone know what these photofacts include?
Rather than proceed to simply start randomly unbolting/unsoldering stuff....I wanted to read the correct approach at this.
PS....it is a Sony TFM-116A......if perhaps someone has that series?Huh

Thanks!

....Dave
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »

There is a three page service manual at: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/23432455/sony/sony_tfm-116a_sm.pdf_1.png&imgrefurl=http://elektrotanya.com/sony_tfm-116a_sm.pdf/download.html&h=470&w=866&sz=17&tbnid=1_4wr233TZ3GOM:&tbnh=68&tbnw=126&zoom=1&usg=__S703eIZAy2EZk20iSTjxv-otDmo=&docid=NnsATKMbOaytgM&sa=X&ei=0A62Ue66B4r07AbShoCYBQ&ved=0CE8Q9QEwAw&dur=3881
I just downloaded it for free. It shows the schematic, component side of pcb and parts list.
KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »

Yup....already snagged that download. Which will help if I get so far as to remove the PC board.
But that step is what I was looking for instructions on....Which screws, or what to unsolder in order to get the board out.
Eventually, I'll just "have at it", but that sometimes doesn't go well!!    Sad
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »

Often is the case that EIAJ manufactured stuff will actually tell the technician how to remove things like internal circuit board. 

Screws are sometimes marked, using silkscreening around the screw heads that need to be removed to get the board out, or sometimes they use different color screws, or screws with differing heads.  All screws of the one type are the only screws we need to remove to pull the board. 

Visual examination, looking for those clues, is the key. 

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:46:07 PM »

Visual examination, looking for those clues, is the key. 
Engineer comes from ingenuity, so let the force be with you  Grin
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »

I don't know about the newer Sams, but the older ones did outline service procedures, including information on which wires had to be disconnected and where, and in some cases, which screws did not have to be removed for disassembly.  The last Sams that I saw was about fifteen to twenty years ago, however, so I don't know if they're as comprehensive as they used to be.  73!
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 08:28:11 AM »

dumb it down, this is not rocket science.  these devices are assembled by casual labor.  if you come across something that doesn't have circles around some wires and screws, or arrows next to them, dumb it down.  what would a kid just off the farm without shoes yet have to put together to get this sandwiched into the case?

and go slow, for there is always at least one hidden wire that is 2 inches (5 cm) too short to allow flipping the board over.

get your cellphone handy, take lots of pictures as you disassemble, so you have a reference on putting it back together.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: