Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I received this email did anyone also get this one  (Read 3827 times)
A9KW

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »

Good Day,

Sorry for any inconvenience, but I'm in a terrible situation. I came down here to Manila, Philippines for a program,last night on my way back to my hotel room I was robbed at gunpoint, my wallet and other valuables were stolen off me, leaving my passport and life safe. My luggage is still in custody of the hotel management pending when I make payment on outstanding bills I owe. I called my bank for a wire transfer but it has proven almost Impossible to operate my account from here as they made me understand international transactions take 7 working days to be effective which i can't wait. I will be indeed very grateful if i can get a  loan of  ($2,500)  to settle out my hotel bills,  I will reimburse you soon as I get back Home. I will appreciate whatever you can assist me with. Let me know if you can be of help.

All hopes on you.

Have a great day!

Jeff Drew, N4JDU
W9JB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »

Tom:  I've received this exact "email" verbatim from others, not from N4JDU or someone pretending to be him.  Only the city of misfortune changes in the email (London, Hamburg, Hong Kong, etc.)  Obvious phishing expedition.
A9KW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »

I did not think it was Jeff himself. If anyone knows him, please let him know someone is doing this with his name and call.
Tom
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »

One of the oldest scams in the book , Been going on for several years now .
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »

Hey I got that one a couple of years ago.I never heard from the guy after I did NOT send him any money so I don't know if it was real or fake? I'm not a banker so I did not bite & I did not know the real guy well enough to send money with that little bit of info.The person who sent me the message did not know much about me other than my email address & mailing address so guessing it was a fake?  Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »

His email was hacked. Everyone in his address book got a copy. Usually the address book is also erased so the victim can't easily warn his friends.

Variations of that fraud have been around for years.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 05:57:25 AM »

I got one a while back that was different--but still a scam. 

It claimed I had a payment waiting for a ham rig that was sold by an individual at my behest and wanted my bank routing number and account number so they could forward me the money that was due me.  That alone had scam written all over it--why not just send me a check or money order!

I know that I had no such sale done for me, but other hams who deal regularly with selling and buying gear may be taken in by this obvious (to me) scam.

I would post the meat of the e-mail, but I got rid of it long ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: