Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why does my 1900 power off/on again when i hit the ptt?  (Read 1940 times)
KD0SCN

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »

why does my yeasu 1900 seem to almost power off and then come back on again when I hit the ptt switch? I accidentally hit a button on the mic pad and not sure what it did. When I push the ptt to transmit the radio practically powers off and  reboots back up. 
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:36:21 PM »

what are you using for a power supply? if Mobile, you may have a bad connection in the 12V side.
If at home, you might have a bad connection, or a power supply that isn't rated for the current you're drawing on transmit with the radio.
Try a lower transmit power setting and see if the problem goes away.  (you DO have an antenna connected, right ?)
KD0SCN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »

I have a goldsource 20amp 13.8V output dc power supply. When you mentioned bad connection I reconnected the wires from the power source to the radio and tighten them more. When you mentioned antenna I moved it away from the radio as it was two feet away and made sure those connections were tight as well. Now it seems to work.....Smiley. Not sure which one of the two was the reason but it seems to work now.  I live in a apartment and had a lot of other electronics around like my laptop, cell phone tv as well.

was it the antenna too close or my connections were not tight enough?

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:45:55 AM »

You probably had a poor power connection and accidentally hit the high power button on the mike.  Now that you've redone the power connections, you probably won't have any further problems.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »

You probably had a poor power connection and accidentally hit the high power button on the mike.  Now that you've redone the power connections, you probably won't have any further problems.

My nickle is on RF feedback from close antenna was scrabbling CPU and causing a reboot.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 04:33:47 PM »

Quite possible that the power supply was shutting down due to RFI. Several people have had this issue when using an indoor antenna. One fellow even had his magmount antenna sitting on top of his power supply. The RFI causes the voltage regulator to go nuts. Sometimes it will over voltage rather than shut down.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 06:32:59 PM »

Be careful! A friend of mine set his mag mount antenna on top of the power supply. When he keyed up the regulator went bonkers and applied 25VDC to the radio, frying the PA module. It was an expensive lesson.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 06:17:08 AM »

The two most likely reasons for that powering off thingy have been given.  Which of the two was the cause is a sort of 50/50 chance, and as long as it's not doing it anymore, that's good enough, right?  If you really want to find out the 'why', move that antenna closer to the radio/power supply again.  That ought to be one way of eliminating one possibility.  The 'third' possible reason for that happening is that there's something wrong with the radio, or power supply, it's self.  It's not as likely as the other two, and especially if the 'powering off' has stopped, I don't think I'd worry about it.
 - 'Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: