Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL Card Checking / Awards... Confusing??  (Read 5689 times)
W5LMM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »

According to the ARRL LOTW FAQ,:
I want to submit an application for DXCC that involves both LoTW credits and paper QSL's. Can I do this, and, if so, how?-

Paper QSL cards may not be combine with LoTW applications.  All QSLs, whether confirmed in LoTW or with  paper QSL card are eligible for your DXCC award however the application processes are seperate.

Sounds like Bull SH** to me.    A QSL is a QSL.   If they are going to pull crap like this, then screw LOTW.
I'm pissed.   I have enough contacts between LOTW, Eqsl.cc and QSL to get WAS many times over, but one won't recognize the other.. wtf.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 01:34:43 AM »

I think integrity is #1.   That must be maintained.   We don't want to lose anything, and we already have massive technology improvements.

This is basically a non-commercial environment.. if there were 10m and there was $$ involved,  we'd have much more available but I'm glad for what we have - I just posted something on that and don't want to repeat it. 

What they should do is open up DXCC to all QSL cards and work with CQ and IOTA.   I would bet with some time they will.   

I think it's important to look at the history of Ham Radio and that it's non-profit so all work is volunteer and it's a slower system with many non-commercial and affordable options for all.

It was a confusing realization that's for sure..   do what.. how?  and then??
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 04:09:39 AM »

Paper QSL cards may not be combine with LoTW applications.  All QSLs, whether confirmed in LoTW or with  paper QSL card are eligible for your DXCC award

This isn't hard, W5LMM, honestly.  Online application for LOTW, online application for paper cards, both are fast and easy, and then the DXCC Desk adds the two together.  It really is easy to do!
W5LMM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »

AC4RD

Ok, so I totally misunderstood.  What I understood by their FAQ was that an award can be issued for Paper OR LOTW, but not a mix.  So that is incorrect?   How does one submit paper QSL cards?  do I mail them, copy them?  do I get them back?

Thanks!
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 09:06:53 AM »

What I understood by their FAQ was that an award can be issued for Paper OR LOTW, but not a mix.  So that is incorrect?   How does one submit paper QSL cards? 

I wasn't 100% certain until I finally submitted some paper QSLs a few months ago, but it turns out to be simple as can be.  You've got LOTW confirmations already, right?  So the ones you want to add to your totals that are on paper cards go this way:    Pick out the paper QSLs you want to have added.  Go to the DXCC page for "online DXCC interactive application" (https://p1k.arrl.org/onlinedxcc/) and enter the cards basic data--date, band, mode, callsign--for each card you want to submit.   I had about 50 cards and it took me maybe 15 minutes to enter them; if you've got hundreds, I believe you can upload an ADIF file.

So when the cards are entered, you pay a small fee ($7 in my case) and print out the paper application form from the website.  Give that to one of the ARRL card checkers (I believe our pal W2IRT is one of them).   I mailed my cards, with a return envelope and money for return postage, to K4CIA, but he's close enough that I could have dropped them off.  Or you can go to a card checker at many hamfests.

The card checker checks the cards, even the Czech cards get czeched, and he submits the information to ARRL.  The DXCC credits show up soon--about 4-5 days for me.

Easy as pie--I don't know why I put off doing it for so long!    73 GL!    -ken
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »

Yes, the DXCC is easier than the WAS but it took quite a while to figure it all out.

For example, for WAS, you need to get your LOTW over to Awarded after you create a WAS account.   So I entered the 10 calls signs for the missing LOTW WAS and submitted the form and it was rejected.   I figured those 40 would be Awarded and the form that I print out and include the 10 QSL cards would be sent in to verify the other 10 that I entered on the online LOTW application.

I'd rather they do what IOTA does and you enter the QSL card info into their site and then just have the cards checked and they press a button verifying them.   IOTA should offer an upload but not a big deal once you get all your QSL Cards in.

Once I get my WAC back, I can take my DXCC QSL cards to a guy on the island to verify that they match what I have in DXCC Online.   At the same time verify my 10 QSL cards for mixed WAS and FIGURE out how to send that one in again.   I would think it would be LOTW Awarded first then QSL Cards and the application is the LOTW online form.   There was no special form to print out from LOTW that had the 10 QSL WAS cards on them.   You had to go an use their general QSL Card form which asks for all 50 cards - so I'm assuming that I can put just the 10 in there.

I can't remember if LOTW allows QSL cards to be WAS Awarded or not - I need to read all this stuff over it's been a while.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »

The card checker checks the cards, even the Czech cards get czeched

Sounds pretty Praguematic...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 04:11:16 AM »

Sounds pretty Praguematic...

Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

That's a pretty Swede joke!  There's Norway I could see that without laughing.  I'll forward that to my wife--as soon as I Finnish my coffee.  Wink
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 07:28:30 AM »

Denmark a spot on the wall for me!  (Had to get all of Scandinavia represented).  But I Bolivia knew that already.  Sorry to Russiaway from this thread but I gotta get to work!  Spain in the neck, but you know....  Grin Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »

Sure, Pat--when you have Togo, you have Togo.  You Ghana spend all day playing on eham.  Abyssinia!   Wink
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »

I'm building a wooden frame upon which to display a decorative bedspread.  It's called an "Afghan stand."

I guess Uganda win them all, Kenya?  Reminds me of the Chief Gunner's Mate who said to the Deck Department Chief, "I'm going ashore, Botswana come along?"

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »

I finally got it....

I see that DXCC Online will let you get your DXCC QSL cards "Awarded" in LOTW and "Verified" for your logging software like DXKeeper.

The only STATE QSL cards that will be "Awarded" and "Verified" will be the ones for DXCC by Band (just a few)

All the non-DXCC QSL cards (WAS Awards) just get looked at and NEVER get "Awarded" in LOTW or "Verified.

Example - No WAS QSL Cards get "Awarded"... LOTW will only show Electronic QSLs, unlike DXCC.

They need to fix that with a GENERAL QSL CARD Verification System and remove DXCC Online - Just use ONE.

I don't get the LOTW WPX Award process?   WPX Awards take QSL Cards, eQSL (A), and LOTW.   With DXKeeper you can create a WPX Submission Report by Mode and print it out and mail application.    Why would I want to use LOTW for just their electronic QSLs?

So... I've learned to keep all my DXCC QSL Cards in one area (either Verified or both) and all the STATE QSL Cards in another area because I'll ALWAYS need them for WAS Bands - so probably put them in groups by band.

I like the way IOTA Website let's you enter your QSL Cards into their system and then when you're ready for an award - you print it out and have the QSL Cards Checked.  Once in the system your done.    

If I were working with ARRL / LOTW I would work on getting all the QSL Cards in that the member wants and create more of an "Apple" look and feel to the initial LOTW setup.  

That being said, I really enjoy the system and it's becoming more and more powerful as new members sign on - which I've been seeing a lot of.

I picked up a nice simple picture frame at Walmart the other day for my DXCC Award and it was the perfect size.   Since the DXCC Award is 11x14 I read (waiting on it), they had a frame that fits perfectly with about a 2" border mat for all the foreign stamps I collect for the hell of it.   They guy who sent my the REAL Ham Stamp a few months back got me started.   That was a great idea.. saw it online last week.  Cost was only $26.   I'm going to always enjoy that one.

This was the sample I saw from ARRL...

https://www.google.com/search?q=dxcc+award+frame+stamps&client=firefox-a&hs=IM9&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IVIBUpfFJeKbiAKP74HgCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1349&bih=851#facrc=_&imgrc=QPFfFgqtSFZcHM%3A%3BglKyyBL4x9HksM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.arrl.org%252Fimages%252Fview%252FNews%252Fnms_1340.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.arrl.org%252Fnews%252Fusing-stamps-to-enhance-your-arrl-awards%3B750%3B502
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:53:54 PM by WH7DX » Logged
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 01:41:19 PM »

And... I forgot..

I don't think you can just add your DXCC QSL cards to LOTW unless you're using them to apply for an award.  At that time, they will be accepted into the system.   

That ones not a big deal but going in groups of 50 (Endorsement) can take a while and having them in the system makes LOTW more accurate.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: