Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ic706mk2g  (Read 1730 times)
KG4OLW

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:41:55 PM »

I recently installed a vhf/uhf antenna in my jeep and I noticed an interesting problem on vhf. I am able to bring up all of the 70cm repeaters with no trouble, However I am having trouble with a particular 2 meter repeater. the repeater is on 146.925 -dup, I cannot hear that repeater or key that repeater with my icom 706 at any power level, however I can key it up full quieting from inside the vehicle with my ic-91ad handheld on low power. When I am talking on the handheld I cannot even hear the repeater output on the ic-706, however the ic-91ad ht with a whip antenna picks the repeater up full bars.

I tried listening to the repeater output on the HT while trying to key it up with the 706, but nothing. I listened to the input of the repeater while keying with the 706, and it sounds distorted.

I seem to be able to hear most other 2m repeaters with no issues, however I have yet to be able to key another 2m repeater with the ic-706, the 70cm repeaters work fine and I have carried on several QSO's.

Any thoughts?
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:21:30 PM »

It sounds to me like your encode (if I remember correctly) is not turned on for that freq?
Recheck your settings and tones and I am sure will you find the problem.
KG4OLW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »

I double checked just now, and I turned to a different repeater 146.835 where a qso was taking place, nothing but light static from the icom, my ht with the duck and the mobile antenna had full bars. I verified the tones as well. Now I can hear the transmit from the 706, on my ht, but maybe because I am so close. It did not key the repeater, again I can key the repeater with 200mw from a HT.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »

It`s possible there`s a problem with the loading coil on your antenna for 2m only. You need to try a different antenna for the mobile to see if any difference. Or try a dummy load with the mobile rig. There should not be any distortion heard on your signal.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »

To rephrase W2KKK's advice - recheck to make sure that you have the PL (CTCSS) tone for the memory channel for the repeater set to the proper tone, and that it's the tone is enabled. You have the correct tone setting in the HT, but it must be off or set incorrectly in the 706.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 07:11:02 PM »

Are all of the other 2 meter repeaters working as they should? If so it's NOT the antenna but as others have suggested something in the decode or repeater offset settings I think.The Larson 2/70 NMO is a great antenna & you should not be having an issue with it.   Huh

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: