Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Key slides around desk  (Read 15153 times)
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »

Thanks all for the tips. I'll work on easing up and making adjustments. The shelf paper is easy enough to come by, so I'll try that too.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »

Best nonskid pad for a key is one of those rubberlike pads, which are about the size of a key base (or two, if it's a larger pad) . They are available from places like amazon for a few dollars. They are used on a car dashboard to keep a cell phone from sliding around, or sliding off the dash. They are made of a very very grippy soft rubberlike plastic. They can be washed which renews their high stickiness due to collecting dust.

http://www.amazon.com/HandStands-13810-Handstands-Original-Sticky/dp/B0002HBOMO

Every time I've needed one of those pads I've gone to the nearest auto parts store, or even the automotive area of WalMart stores.  Never have failed to find just the right size.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »

target

http://www.target.com/p/basic-grip-shelf-liner-white-12x5/-/A-11172319

Scott N6PG
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 08:32:06 AM »

I feel your pain! I love the old ones too, and I too have some of those feet that are basically smooth rocks. Save yourself some trouble, all the shelf paper/liners in the world won't SOLVE your problem, they will help.  You need new feet to provide SOME grip for the shelf paper/liners.

I bought a 100 pack of feet from Mouser, if your address on QRZ.com is good I will mail you three of them gratis, I am happy to help.

paul
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 06:45:20 PM »

I feel your pain! I love the old ones too, and I too have some of those feet that are basically smooth rocks. Save yourself some trouble, all the shelf paper/liners in the world won't SOLVE your problem, they will help.  You need new feet to provide SOME grip for the shelf paper/liners.

I bought a 100 pack of feet from Mouser, if your address on QRZ.com is good I will mail you three of them gratis, I am happy to help.

paul

Thanks Paul. Check your inbox for a message. I don't think this key is very old, just beat. I did get it to clean up nice though.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 11:05:05 PM »

The feet are $2 each without the screws from Vibroplex and $3 shipping for small parts.

Many of their small parts are not all that cheap! The want $1.50 each for 1/16 x 3/16 roll pins for the finger pieces of a Brass Racer.
I found a bag of 100 on ebay for $3 shipped.

I also have a Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe key and I just wipe the feet clean with a wet finger before using it. Same with all my other keys.
W2EJG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 08:23:15 AM »

I use a Belkin mouse pad with a large rubber hump at the bottom. This supports my wrist and keeps my Kent paddles from wandering. The wrist support keeps me from tiring on the occasional contest.
WA8OLD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »

I use a thin rubber pad, about 3x5", they are marketed to use as  a cell phone "holder" on the dash in a car,  and are sort of a tacky rubber. That works great.
K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 01:21:48 AM »

. . . I just wipe the feet clean with a wet finger before using it. . . .
Yeah.  Wipe dust off the desk top and wipe the bottom of each rubber foot with (you almost said it) saliva.  I've done that for years, and it holds the bugs and keyers in place until I want to move them.  It even works for the cootie key that I bat pretty vigorously.

About 2 years ago, I spent a buck at a Dollar Tree store for a roll of that rubber mesh shelf liner.  It's in the shack somewhere,  still untouched.  Even thinking about cutting some pieces to size was more work than applying a little spit.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 05:32:19 AM »

I use double stick tape under the feet of my paddle.  Works great.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 06:28:29 AM »

I spent a bit of time at the CW tent over the weekend and first thing I noticed was the double-stick tape holding down the key. While standing around talking one of the older guys brought out a few practice keyers he found at an estate sale (one was a Vibroplex original bug, and looking at the practice oscillator had to be from the late 1950s/early 1960s), both of which were screwed into a big wooden board that was large enough to rest most of your forearm.

So I guess keys sliding around is nothing new.
N5RDE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »

You can take the old hard feet off, spray them thoroughly with ARMOR ALL or the equivalent, and put them in a ZIP LOC bag or similar for a few days.  That will restore the softness of the feet.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 12:12:44 AM »

We all use blobs of blue tak under our keys, they were moved around from position to position every couple of hours.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
W0AAA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »

I use paper tak.  I get it at Ace Hardware.  It's a sticky clay like substance that you can stick on the bottom of the feet.  Works for me and I key pretty fast.  WØAAA
WA9CFK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 09:27:21 AM »

With my heavy hand and Pooh Bear fingers the key moving around became very annoying.

One day I picked up the cordless drill and a long wood screw and it has not been a problem since.  Grin

Crude but effective.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:29:58 AM by WA9CFK » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: