Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visually transmit callsign on band scope  (Read 2751 times)
pmraiders

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2013, 02:00:21 AM »

I'm pretty sure this guy actually transmitted his callsign in the coolest way I can imagine. Sadly it would be considered QRM.

http://prntscr.com/19vt5g
http://prntscr.com/19vtdq

These are screenshots from HDSDR hooked up to my Elecraft KX3. I believe that he has a bug to work out in his transmission to flip the image as it appears to be mirrored.

He transmitted the first screenshot then proceeded with a minute or two long transmission of the random ssb-wide garbage you see in the top of the second screenshot followed by another transmission of his visual callsign.

This occurred at about 7.173 mhz at approximately 2:00 PST. I would attempt a LSB contact but its out of my operating rights as a general license holder.

Jordan
KG7DBM
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:04:46 AM by pmraiders » Logged
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:03:43 AM »

http://prntscr.com/19vu0x

Haha he's getting there...

Jordan
KG7DBM
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 04:40:36 AM »

That "random ssb-wide garbage" looks like EasyPal Digital SSTV.  The callsign is not QRM...it is a standard part of the emission.  Looks like if he switched to USB, the callsign would be upright and correctly displayed.

Dave
K3DCW
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 01:23:21 PM »

That would make more sense. I just thought it looked pretty cool haha. I'm still new so I don't know what all the modes look/sound like. My next project is to setup and understand rtty and psk31.

Jordan
KG7DBM
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »

Let's see, Jordan... You've been a General ham exactly less than a month, and a ham for less than two months (according to ULS), and you are already calling out infractions on band you are not even licensed forhave no idea of the usage thereof, and apparently didn't do the due diligence on ham radio digital modes before making accusations of QRM?

Ahh.. The Twitterverse mentality has officially descended upon ham radio....

Slow down... Enjoy.
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 09:19:46 PM »

Let's see, Jordan... You've been a General ham exactly less than a month, and a ham for less than two months (according to ULS), and you are already calling out infractions on band you are not even licensed forhave no idea of the usage thereof, and apparently didn't do the due diligence on ham radio digital modes before making accusations of QRM?

Ahh.. The Twitterverse mentality has officially descended upon ham radio....

Slow down... Enjoy.

I'm not entirely sure what your problem is. I was not calling out QRM I was simply asking what it was. I got an answer that makes sense. I simply thought it was cool that I saw his callsign on my bandscope and since I didn't know what the transmission was I called it QRM since I had no other word for it. I was not attempting to accuse anyone.

I even admitted that I don't know what all the obscure modes are yet. Why did you even reply? Its quite obvious that the issue was resolved. The only reason to reply is to be rude and obnoxious. Congratulations.

What a great way to welcome a new ham. Thankfully this is the only rude interaction I have had in this community.

I don't use twitter. I don't have a twitter account. I think twitter is a waste of time. I also have no idea what 'twitterverse mentality' is. Since I'm such a newbie to these things why don't you explain to me what the 'twitterverse' is.

Jordan,
KG7DBM
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 02:43:33 AM »

Jordan, chill, take it easy and have fun. Feel free to have a look around the bands, play around with new modes, highlight stuff like this because to some of us it's interesting, and above all EXPERIMENT.

Welcome to ham radio  Smiley

Tanakasan
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »

Jordan, chill, take it easy and have fun. Feel free to have a look around the bands, play around with new modes, highlight stuff like this because to some of us it's interesting, and above all EXPERIMENT.

Welcome to ham radio  Smiley

Tanakasan

Thank you.

I was a little ticked that he was all over me about that. I guess my post was written wrong as it didn't come off as I intended. I was simply wondering what could have caused it, since I was thinking it was someone writing a program to perform that visual transmission. In fact, I was going to see if I couldn't get a similar thing going with some simple programming and test it into a dummy load. Turns out its a mode I had never heard of, and if it doesn't require a huge investment in gear I may try it.

Jordan
KG7DBM
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 04:59:22 AM »

Most of the digital modes these days use a sound card interface to your computer, so once you get that set up, you can use many digital modes on that same interface and thus your hardware cost to get going is very low.  There are also websites that have audio and video clips of what the different digital modes sound like and look like on your bandscope.  Right off hand, I seem to remember that the fldigi website has a page that describes the various digital modes.  Personally I use the Signalink USB from Tigertronics as my interface for digital modes.

Carlton
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 07:48:51 AM »

I see no problem personally.  QRM?  Just depends on who's listening I guess.  Just transmitting can be considered QRM by some.  That's a fairly common feature of several programs that utilize a 'water fall'.
 - Paul
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »

If your ID is many times wider than the typical signals using that portion of the band then I'd say it would be inconsiderate operation. For example, if you are in the PSK31 portion of the band and you wipe out a bunch of PSK31 stations with your 2 KHz wide station ID.
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »

The idea is as old as hell  ....  Hellschreiber  Wink

with a modern twist - column rather than row order and multi-tone.
If the width for all tones was under 500Hz or so it would make an interesting new fuzzy mode in it's self.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:52:15 AM by AF6WL » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: