Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck up a tree!  (Read 4494 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »

Okay here's something you don't hear often.

I have a dipole strung up tween two trees (okay you hear that allot) but its been up there a number of years. I went to lower it the other day and .. uth oh, both ends of the tie lines have grown into the tree. She ain't commin down.

I pulled tugged jerked fussed fumed and sweated.

Any ideas on how to get it down??  Huh
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »

Either hire someone who can climb or sling / throw a heavier line over the center and break it down by pulling on the line with both ends of new line.    Grin

I would think that with one dipole side down, pulling on the coax would be enough to break the other side.. don't know what was used etc. 
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 01:22:55 PM »

Go to WallyWorld or any sporting goods store and buy one of those cheap emergency flexable finger saws(flexible wire with carbide teeth and finger ring on each end)then make up a heaving line with saw in middle to throw over dipole wire(if not to high) or use sling shot,long enough to come back down on other end,slide to one insulator end and saw through.Of course this one downed end will have to be temporarily thrown back up in tree and made taught while you do same to other end.Been there done that but only at 35 ft. height.
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 02:16:46 PM »

Well welcome to wire world hi. Just give it up and pull feedline as hard as you can and if possible cut any remaining wire as high as you can. I have sinkers, string, pulleys, wire etc, long abandoned, in all my trees that will get taller every year while I keep shrinking!
Bob
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »

If you are going to put up another antenna in the trees:
What I do is I have a pulley on each of the rope that goes over the branch,
I run a rope through the pulley that's connects to the antenna, this way I can loosen that rope at eather end use the fed line to pull down the antenna.
Make sure you have a weight, springs etc on end of the rope that goes through the pulley for tree movement during a windy day

Just my 2 cents
Lew
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »

As far as getting it down - without a climber about all you can do is yank it and pray.  I've always done something similar to what N4HRA suggested, but a simple snap-ring works just about as well as a pulley and it's a lot cheaper.

Don, K2DC
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »

Don't know what your tie lines are made of, or how far out they run from the trees.  If it's rope or parachute cord, you could melt it with a mini-torch, provided you can get up high enough on a ladder with a lit torch taped to the end of a 10 foot or longer piece of thin wall conduit or fiberglass (fishing) rod on the end of that.  Chancy, but effective.  Make sure the torch will stay lit for the 5 minutes or so you'll need to hoist it and melt or burn through the cord.  Then again, you could also tape a hacksaw blade to the end also and try your luck with that.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:42:19 PM by W6EM » Logged
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »

I have never had any luck extricating the grown-over rope.  cut it off and redo.

what I did this time with the trap dipole is put up a pulley on 12-gauge solid wire.  wire inside 1/4 gas tubing.  there is a good extra foot of wire so the pulley rig is not bound into the crotch of the branches.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 07:01:32 PM »

Ah, one more possibility.  If you live in the sticks of Alabama as I do, well, get out the old 20 gauge or 12 gauge and some 00 shot shells and cut 'er down.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 09:45:51 PM »

JOY: 

First and foremost.... when pulling down a wire or rope as suggested, wear safety goggles!  This situation can be quite dangerous.

As for breaking the rope anywhere.... if it's good stuff ..... it ain't gonna happen! 

JKA's suggestion hold a lot of promise and I'd consider that very thoroughly.  After rejecting the "climbing the tree" option.

KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 08:30:24 AM »

Go to WallyWorld or any sporting goods store and buy one of those cheap emergency flexable finger saws(flexible wire with carbide teeth and finger ring on each end)then make up a heaving line with saw in middle to throw over dipole wire(if not to high) or use sling shot,long enough to come back down on other end,slide to one insulator end and saw through.Of course this one downed end will have to be temporarily thrown back up in tree and made taught while you do same to other end.Been there done that but only at 35 ft. height.

This is an excellent idea, although the dipole is up there pretty good @ 60'-0". I will give this a try.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 03:39:30 PM »

I have the same problem. When it's necessary to replace the halliard, it will just get cut. Somewhat amazes me how much the tree bark grows.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »

OM..... 60ft ?  You gonna have to go to plan B!  I was thinking maybe 35ft max.  Looks like you could use a "Trunk Monkey." 

(Google Trunk Monkey ads)
KK4ONQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »

Friction. I learned a few years ago in the woods without a knife para cord will cut itself easy by taking the tag end and using two hand cutting it across the point I wanted the other end cut. Just try to keep the rope in the same spot. I'm sure it would work with other ropes too. Maybe not a cable though.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »

I would just yank the whole thing down.   I wouldn't keep anything but perhaps the coax after all those years.   The rest will come down with time.  Something will give.   Tie it do a bumper... have fun!   Grin 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: