The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VOA Antenna Tower Demolition  (Read 5125 times)
N6PG

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2016, 05:59:48 AM »

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Radio-towers-being-demolished-in-Washington-373785161.html
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 03:13:34 PM »

That was really, REALLY sad to see all that come down.
RIP towers.......

ron
N4UE
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 05:25:27 PM »

Too bad they couldn't have sold one to a ham!!  Roll Eyes
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:00:53 AM »

I hope this trend continues in other countries as well.. Would like to see international broadcasters disappear on 7.2 to 7.3 Mhz.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 04:39:16 AM »

The shortwave broadcast landscape is constantly changing and not always for the best lately. Money wins.
 The good news is that the AWA has rescued the transmitter and control room for the VOA Delano station. It is somehow sad to see VOA in a museum, but times have changed and in this way VOA will exist for future generations.
 I plan on seeing what  they have done since last year during their upcoming Spring Meet in Bloomfield:
 http://www.antiquewireless.org/voa-delano-station.html
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 04:48:35 PM »

The shortwave broadcast landscape is constantly changing and not always for the best lately. Money wins.
 The good news is that the AWA has rescued the transmitter and control room for the VOA Delano station. It is somehow sad to see VOA in a museum, but times have changed and in this way VOA will exist for future generations.
 I plan on seeing what  they have done since last year during their upcoming Spring Meet in Bloomfield:
 http://www.antiquewireless.org/voa-delano-station.html

Very cool! I can recall hearing VOA back in the late '60s when I was an SWL. A very different time...

Will Rogers
K5WLR
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 07:20:14 PM »

Only to the point where governments don't want to spend money on expensive transmitters and towers that next to nobody is listening to.  International listening shifted to the internet many years ago.  VOA streams all of their services 24/7.

The exceptions are Africa and Asia, where shortwave still reigns.  Of course if you don't speak Chinese, Russian, or some African native language, that won't be of much help.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »

When totalitarian countries restrict the internet SW may come back.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 01:01:28 AM »

When totalitarian countries restrict the internet SW may come back.
   Both China and N. Korea already do!
K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 12:37:39 PM »

Sorry - all of you have not heard about what REALLY HAPPENED.  Turns out that years ago VOA made a huge mistake and put up their stuff in an area controlled by an HOA.  The video clip shows you what happens when you mess with your Home Owners Association.  If they were able to get rid of VOA, then we are all doomed.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »

Sorry - all of you have not heard about what REALLY HAPPENED.  Turns out that years ago VOA made a huge mistake and put up their stuff in an area controlled by an HOA.  The video clip shows you what happens when you mess with your Home Owners Association.  If they were able to get rid of VOA, then we are all doomed.

^ ^ ^  Cheesy  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: