Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In search of Car stereo with shortwave  (Read 54184 times)
PilarC73

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2013, 06:48:56 AM »

Does anyone know where or who sells these stereo with the short wave ? I have been looking through the Internet and can't seem to find where I can purchase one . Thanks .
I just noticed that somehow , that the screen name shown is wrong , this is not pilarC73 , my screen name is Germanbug72 , can someone advise me what to do ?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 06:58:42 AM by PilarC73 » Logged
W7GIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:36:26 AM »

Can't help you out with the issue of your screen name. But, wrt short wave receivers for auto's: I'm aware of both Blaupunkt and Becker car radios with SW and MW in the 50's thru the early 70's (fitted to VW, Porsche, and Mercedes, and even Jag's......to name a few). Some were very good, all were analog. Don't know for sure whether anyone has produced "digital" era radios with the SW/MW capability. But, as popular and useful as those bands are in Europe, I'd be surprised if European manufacturers (like Blaupunkt) haven't continued to offer radios with that capability. Forty or so years ago, they even offered SW converters/adaptors for radios with only the LW broadcast band. If you can't find any SW/MW Blaupunkt or Becker on the web, you might try some German/European car salvage yards or operations. My '72 Volvo P1800 at one time had a Blaupunkt that covered LW/MW/SW, but it was monaural....not stereo. Forty years later......wish I hadn't "upgraded" to digital stereo.

Good luck....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:46:16 AM by W7GIF » Logged
KI6MPL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »

I once had a  Sony XR-CA360 FM/MW/SW cassette car stereo in my truck 12 years ago.  It was  no DX machine but it played pretty well.

I used to listen to Voice of Korea driving to work just for laughs. I used to listen to the BBC and other powerhouse stations with it. It came with some pretty nice speakers as well. 

Being a truly crazed SWL at the time I sent all the way to the UAE for it.

Sony only sold them in the Middle east and South Asia for some reason.

Unfortunately, the shop I bought it from no longer carries them:

http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/sony-xr-c-900-rds-396820/i/

It cost about $159.00 including shipping at the time, and it took a month to get to California.

They are very popular in middle eastern countries mainly due to censorship and a lack of popular radio programming.

However, I did find this:

http://coimbatore.olx.in/brand-new-never-used-xr-ca360-sony-fm-mw-sw-cassette-car-stereo-iid-466293854

Too bad it's in India.  Roll Eyes

Keep an eye out on ebay.uk. I've seen them pop up there on occasion.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:01:52 AM by KI6MPL » Logged
W7GIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »

Does anyone know where or who sells these stereo with the short wave ? I have been looking through the Internet and can't seem to find where I can purchase one . Thanks .
I just noticed that somehow , that the screen name shown is wrong , this is not pilarC73 , my screen name is Germanbug72 , can someone advise me what to do ?
Ther are currently two Blaupunkt Frankfurt's on ebay. One has LW/MW/SW/FM, But no cassette/CD. And probably adjustable control shaft spacing to accomodate different vehicle mounting centers. Most of the European dial bezel cutouts of that era were pretty "standardized". If you're looking for one for a 70's bug, it may suit your needs...if you don't need stereo, or cassette/CD features. I'm sure the seller could tell you what the dial bezel and shaft spacing dimensions are. Had one of these in a 356B and then in a '67 911 many years ago, and it's a great receiver.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:43:49 AM by W7GIF » Logged
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »

My brother has a Sony car stereo in his truck that has shortwave.  I'm not sure if they are still being made.
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »

Ramsey used to make SW to AM transverter, model number SC1.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/downloads/manuals/SC1.pdf

If you can find one used, you can use your existing car radio to listen to SW.

Another idea would be to install a compact general coverage receiver in your vehicle, and feed the audio through the AUX jack.

N8YQX
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 07:01:49 AM »

Ramsey used to make SW to AM transverter, model number SC1.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/downloads/manuals/SC1.pdf

If you can find one used, you can use your existing car radio to listen to SW.

Another idea would be to install a compact general coverage receiver in your vehicle, and feed the audio through the AUX jack.
MFJ has it also.
EI2JC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »

My last two new BMW's (11 & 13) have Short Wave...while it appeals to the Ham in me, I was annoyed there was no Long Wave.

TBH I thought it was kinda bizarre  Smiley

EDIT : Phone Snap http://homepage.eircom.net/~crowdedhouse/pics/WP_000261.jpg
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:45:34 PM by EI2JC » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »

Car stereo with shortwave is likely to be a very poor receiver. I use a Icom R-1500. Control head sits nicely in the ashtray when in use, under the seat when parked, to dissuade thieves.
N0PQK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »

I will make it easy for you..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281122855835&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

User Manual = http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/DEH_2550UI_DEH_X3550UI_2550UI_manual/

or http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/DEH_2550UI_DEH_X3550UI_2550UI_manual/GetPDF.ashx

Page #19

Has the specs.
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 02:38:49 PM »

See if you can track down a Sony CDX GT-180 Xplod car stereo. It has two shortwave bands and it works pretty well (although this will depend on your car's antenna). Durham Radio in Whitby Ontario Canada was selling these last year but I don't see them listed on their website any longer.

The SW support in this radio is lacking some features you'd probably want. It is AM only, no SSB, and there are gaps in the SW coverage. But it does work.

Perhaps a better (although more expensive) option is to get a mobile amateur radio HF rig and install that in your vehicle. That would support amateur radio, which I'd assume most people on this forum would want.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 07:09:23 AM »

Phillips made a DIN slot car radio which also had stereo FM. 
PA3ALF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 04:53:23 AM »

Pioneer still makes one. Unfortunately not or the US and EUR market,  I found it on Pioneer Australia. google pioneer DEH-4450BT
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »

I would think the best way to do this is to get an HF transceiver with a remote head and put it in your car.  It might not be the cheapest way to get going on this idea, but you will probably get much better audio than you will from a car stereo setup.  You will also have multiple filter bandwidths, a noise blanker, noise reduction, and other features that a car stereo is not likely to have.
KC8BNP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 08:05:37 AM »

In case anyone is interested in this I purchased one of these Pioneer decks from Elite Electronics in AU back in the October.  I purchased the this one which appears to be discontinued now,

http://www.elite-electronics.com.au/In-Car_Entertainment/Headunits/Pioneer_DEH-2550UI_iPod_iPhone_CD_USB_Receiver

But it looks like it has been replace with this one,

http://www.elite-electronics.com.au/In-Car_Entertainment/Headunits/iPod_iPhone/Pioneer_DEH-X2650UI_iPod_iPhone_CD_USB_Receiver

I ordered install parts (wiring harness, dash adapter, and antenna adapter) from Crutchfield for the US model(connections are the same) and installed it in my ford focus very easily.  So far I'm really happy with it, and it really didn't cost much more than buying a new stereo here.  I emailed with Nicholas at elite several times and the cost to ship to the US was $70 (he said they are working on getting that down to $20).  Nicholas was very helpful so if you have any questions I would just email them at their support email. 

In using this Pioneer unit I'm pretty happy with it's reception and features.  There are a few higher end models that offer Bluetooth and a few other bells and whistles.  I would just check in the manual for the model you are interested in and make sure it does recieve SW.  This unit does cover the 80m and 40m bands and I have listened to guys on AM at 3885 and 7295. 

I've demos this to a few of the hams at one of our club meetings and everyones been really impressed, I think for the money you can't go wrong.  The biggest advantage is the clean install.  It makes listening and tuning much easier than a portable or mobile radio mounted in the car.

Brian
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: