Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In search of Car stereo with shortwave  (Read 45535 times)
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 09:50:29 PM »

Back in the mid-1960s, Sony had an AM/FM/SW radio that came with an under-the-dash mounting bracket  I bought one in Japan and brought it home after my active USNR time.  I got a brand new 1966 Plymouth (!) Valiant (!!) with the 273 CID engine (!!!) and installed the radio.  It worked perfectly.  It wasn't stereo, and the one speaker, mounted in the radio itself, pointed straight down to the floor, but my wife and I were able to listen to lots of DX on trips between Bremerton and Vegas.  I wish I still had the radio - and the car!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
ABOUHEJER

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 05:20:37 AM »

For sale Brand new, never used unopened Sony Shortwave/AM/FM/ Car radios plus cd and USB DIN1
Will ship worldwide if willing to pay shipping
mail at halim.chahed@gmail.com for info 
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 10:48:48 AM »

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1721
KR4GT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »

If anyone is still looking for one of these Sony car stereos with shortwave band coverage, I have some.  Look me up on eBay and you will see my auction.  My eBay seller ID is "joefan98"
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »

Can't help you out with the issue of your screen name. But, wrt short wave receivers for auto's: I'm aware of both Blaupunkt and Becker car radios with SW and MW in the 50's thru the early 70's (fitted to VW, Porsche, and Mercedes, and even Jag's......to name a few). Some were very good, all were analog. Don't know for sure whether anyone has produced "digital" era radios with the SW/MW capability. But, as popular and useful as those bands are in Europe, I'd be surprised if European manufacturers (like Blaupunkt) haven't continued to offer radios with that capability. Forty or so years ago, they even offered SW converters/adaptors for radios with only the LW broadcast band. If you can't find any SW/MW Blaupunkt or Becker on the web, you might try some German/European car salvage yards or operations. My '72 Volvo P1800 at one time had a Blaupunkt that covered LW/MW/SW, but it was monaural....not stereo. Forty years later......wish I hadn't "upgraded" to digital stereo.

Good luck....  I had a '71 142 E witha  Becker Europia radio  and the Hirshman SW converter installed in the glove box.  More than once I fooled an unsuspecting ham sitting in the back seat into thinking all those bands were in the radio itself.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: